Dick and Jane find the Kitchen

Kevin

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought about baking polenta, that's a good tip Laurie

Ryansgirl: quinoa just needs to be boiled, I normally add it in boiling water until most of the water is gone and the seed-like part in the middle turns whitish. Then turn the heat off and let it absorb the rest of the water

As for orzo, you just boil it like pasta. The best way to cook it is in the sauce so I would normally prepare the tomato sauce (i.e. fry onion, other veg, add tomatoes) and then add the orzo with the appropriate amount of water (usually twice as much). Then cover and simmer for 15 minutes until it's soft.

Alternatively, A great way of cooking it is in the over, so all you need to do is add all the sauce ingredients in an oven dish, then add the orzo and let it cook in medium heat- you might want to cover it first but it's nice to get it a bit crispy towards the end. This method takes a lot longer though, so I would budget about an hour.

• 1 month later...

Lots of talk about sandwiches in the threads . Here's a little twist to jazz up an old classic :

Tuna and Black Olive Sandwich:

1/4 cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

2 (6 ounce) cans light tuna packed in olive oil, drained

1/2 cup chopped drained bottled roasted red peppers ( or fresh bell peppers )

10 Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, pitted and cut lengthwise into strips ( green will work if that's all you have or prefer )

1 large celery rib, chopped

2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion

1 (20- to 24-inch) baguette

2 tablespoons olive oil

Green leaf lettuce ( or spinach leaves )

1. Make tuna salad: Whisk together mayonnaise and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add remaining salad ingredients and stir together gently. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Assemble sandwiches: Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths and halve each piece horizontally. Brush cut sides with oil and season with salt and pepper. Make sandwiches with baguette, lettuce, and tuna salad.

Laurie , I don't mean anything other than to point this out , but the main ingredients in your gnocchi recipe are also those of Pringle's potato chips ( minus the chemicals ) - except that they are then fried , dried and seasoned . I just saw a program on how they made them and was surprised to see that they are made from a dough rather than potato slices . Go figure ! :D

• 2 months later...