Dick and Jane find the Kitchen

Kevin

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try this marinade with chicken or pork...

2 cups soy sauce

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup brown sugar

3 cloves of garlic finely chopped or put thru a garlic press

a dash of ginger if you like

Blend well together until the sugar starts to dissolve.

Pour over meat, I use a ziplock bag and then set in a bowl, and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, best when done overnight...then grill or bake.

Cardoons (Cardoni) it's a type of plant/root/weed..related to the artichoke I guess..You use the stems and deep fry them....Delish...

This recipe from Artusi's Scienza in Cucina. Artusi doesn't say how many cardoons; I'd figure about a pound as a side dish to serve 4. Artusi also gives a good batter for frying vegetables.

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup flour

1 tablespoon good olive oil

1 tablespoon aquavit

1 egg, separated

A pinch of salt

Cold water

PREPARATION:

Begin by preparing a batter from the above ingredients: Stir the yolk and the other ingredients except the white into the flour, then add water bit at a time until you have a not too liquid batter. Stir well and let the batter rest for several hours.

Before using it whip the white and fold it in. This batter is especially well suited for frying fruits and vegetables.

Then perpare the other vegetables, cardoons in this case: Peel the strings from the cardoons, boil them in salted water until just shy of being fork tender, cut them into pieces, and sauté them in butter, salting them again lightly. Then flour them, dip them in the batter below, and fry them in abundant oil.

I had these today...I've never made them, but my Dad and Aunt usually make them and bring some over to me....This is the closest recipe to what they use..My Dad use to just cook, and never used recipes... :P

You can buy a "Dip It" mix in the store...works just as good and is easier if you don't have alot of time...

The cardoons can be bought in the store also...

Another favorite of mine is "Polenta"....This is good served with a homemade Italian sauce on top with grated cheese, and a side of cooked greens...swiss chard, spinach, or rabe broccoli...Try it, you'll like it... :shades:

2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for grilling or sauteing if desired

3/4 cup finely chopped red onion

2 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 quart chicken stock or broth

1 cup coarse ground cornmeal

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 ounces Parmesan, grated

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large, oven-safe saucepan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the red onion and salt and sweat until the onions begin to turn translucent, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the garlic, and saute for 1 to 2 minutes, making sure the garlic does not burn.

Turn the heat up to high, add the chicken stock, bring to a boil. Gradually add the cornmeal while continually whisking. Once you have added all of the cornmeal, cover the pot and place it in the oven. Cook for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring every

10 minutes to prevent lumps. Once the mixture is creamy, remove from the oven and add the butter, salt, and pepper. Once they are incorporated, gradually add the Parmesan.

Serve as is, or pour the polenta into 9 by 13-inch cake pan lined with parchment paper. Place in the refrigerator to cool completely.

Once set, turn the polenta out onto a cutting board and cut into squares, rounds, or triangles. Brush each side with olive oil and saute in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, or grill....

My Dad said my grandmother use to let this cool right on the kitchen table....no pan...they ate it as is....plus he had to be quick...coz he had 3 brothers and 5 sisters.... :)

I have plenty more favorites, I don't want to take over the thread....

:P

Edited by Guest

GNOCCHI WITH INSTANT POTATOES

Preparation - Easy

Serves 2

A quick and easy version of a robust winter dish favored from Genoa to Bologna.

This recipe doubles or triples and works well with a simple tomato sauce, butter and sage, etc.

2/3 cup dry potato buds for instant mashed potatoes

2/3 cup boiling water

1 egg, room temperature, lightly beaten with a fork

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

PUT the potato flakes or buds in a medium-size bowl. Add the boiling water; stir until blended. Let cool.

FOLD in the egg and salt with a wooden or plastic spoon or spatula.

ADD flour slowly, folding with the spatula, until you have a fairly firm dough that doesn't stick to the bowl.

TURN dough out onto a well floured surface and knead lightly into a ball. You want just be able to work with the mixture without it sticking unduly - but too much flour will result in gnocchi that are more lead than light.

CUT dough in half.

ROLL each half into a long cylinder about the thickness of your thumb. Cut into bite-size pieces. You can dust lightly with flour or semolina and set aside for a few hours.

TO COOK - put 6 - 8 gnocchi in a few quarts of boiling, salted water (too many at once interferes in the cooking process). As the gnocchi rise to the top of the pot, remove them with a slotted spoon and put them in a sieve over a plate to drain further until you are ready to serve. Repeat until all are cooked.

YOU can eat these gnocchi with butter or good olive oil, a grind of black pepper and some Parmesan cheese, or serve with a sauce.

I like them with sauce the best..and for a side dish I like to have chunks of pork, sausage, beef thats been cooking in the sauce all day....some homemade bread and garden salad with Italian dressing....and of course a glass of wine. :P

My family made them the old fashion way with real potatoes...it's alot of work, and they are much heavier too...I like the instant potatoe recipe the best...When I was little I couldn't pronounce Gnocchi, so I called them Yonkies... :)

Does any one have experience cooking quinoa? I have about a half cup uncooked. I read about it on Wikipedia, and the article said the quinoa needs to be soaked, but the bin at the store where I bought it didn't say anything about soaking it.

And does any one know exactly how to prepare orzo? I made some a few days ago and since it was the first time I had no idea if I prepared it correctly.