Dick and Jane find the Kitchen

Kevin

This thread is for tasty little recipies that you have tried and loved . Here's a starter to any fine Italian dish :

Use a pizza stone ( preferably ) or a grill pan :

1.Pre-heat oven to ~ 350 F. ( 180 C. )

2. Sprinkle a fair bit of coarse salt on the stone or pan .

3. Cover with shrimp ( whole ) , cod or salmon pieces , mussels , and clams . ( whatever you like or can find will do ) . Cover with a bit of good quality olive oil .

4. Bake for 20-25 minutes , watching for burning or over cooking .

5. Pull out and serve. Peel the shrimp and enjoy .

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a good easy one, but I don't know what you'd call it. "Meat Wheels". How about that?

Get some flank steak, chopped spinach and feta cheese. You'll want to sort of blend, by hand, the feta so it gets sort of pasty. Spread a bit of feta on each piece of steak, over the entire length. Then take the spinach and put it on top of the feta. Roll them up, pin them with a toothpick and stick them in the oven for maybe 15 minutes on about 400. When they're done you should eat them.

I'm not much of a cook. :)

ok I'll repeat my fava recipe here

wash the beans and boil them with enough water water to eventually create a paste, for about an hour

about half way through, add some chopped onions. keep checking whether it needs more water to prevent drying out

when the beans are cooked, blend into a tick paste

add olive oil (always extra virgin), some lemon juice, season to taste with salt and peper and garnish with some chopped onion

I love crock-pots, working all week they are a blessing. Here is a recipe from my Mom and it goes over good with kids. The name came from my Mom who did the recipe when my Dad took a bunch of us kids to Cedar Point and this what was waiting for us to eat when we got home.

Cedar Point Stew

4 potatoes halfed and sliced, peels on

1 onion halfed and sliced

1 box of frozen peas

3 large carrots peeled, halfed and sliced

2 can beef broth

1 can chopped tomatoes

2 lbs browned hamburger or ground turkey

Put potatos on the bottom of crock-pot, then carrots, then onions, then meat, then peas. Pour tomatoes in and the beef broth. Pepper to your taste, you won't need to salt enough in the tomatoes and broth. Cook on low 8 hours or on high 5 hours. Serve up in bowls with warm buttered crusty french bread.

Easy and simple - and tasty sounding- are highly recommended here .That really looks good , Jane ! I'm going to try that , for sure ! :thumbsup:

Oh just a sidenote, my Mom said you can add 1/2 cup of your favorite red wine if you want to zip it up a bit! :D

Rach, slow cookers are great! I've never had a problem with one and I've been using them over 20 years now. I do replace them about every 6 years or so, just so I don't run into a problem.

Edited by Guest
typed too fast

I just googled what exactly a crock-pot is, and I don't think we have something like that here... at least I've never seen it

Martin, you could cook the recipe in the oven, just layer as the recipe calls for and use a deep covered casserole type dish and probably best to cook at 350 for about an hour. Just check to see if the potatos are tender, not mushy, same for the carrots.

Here's a recipe I got from the Food Network (Michael Chiarello) about 5 years ago that is always a big hit with dinner guests.

I usually serve it as a pallet cleanser between courses of Joann's wonderful dinner parties. Sometimes I serve it as a dessert.

MOSCATO/BLACKBERRY JELL

Ingredients:

2 pints fresh blackberries (or raspberries), halved or whole

3 tablespoons sugar

2 fresh rosemary sprigs

1/2 (750ml) bottle Moscato wine or other sweet dessert wine

1/2 lemon, juiced

2 large strips orange zest

2 gelatin sheets or 1/2 (1/4-ounce envelope) powdered gelatin (I use the powdered)

Sweetened whipped cream, for serving

Fresh mint leaves, for garnish

The rosemary twigs make a nice garnish, too.

Put the blackberries in a bowl, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sugar, and twist the rosemary with your hands to release the essential oils and throw it on top. Gently toss the berries to combine and let them sit absorbing the flavor while you make the Moscato jell.

Combine the Moscato, lemon juice, orange peel, and remaining sugar and in a heavy pot and place over medium-low heat. Simmer and stir, until little bubbles appear around the pot and the alcohol starts to vaporize; about 15 minutes.

Soak the gelatin sheets in cool water for 2 minutes to soften*, then remove them and squeeze out the excess water. Remove from the heat and fish out the strips of orange. Add the gelatin sheets into the hot wine and continue to simmer for 1 more minute, stirring to dissolve completely. Let the jell cool slightly for 5 minutes.

* if using powdered gelatin, soak in 2 tablespoons cool water for 3 minutes, then add to hot wine mixture.

Fill 4 wine glasses a quarter of the way with blackberries; carefully pour the Moscato jell over the berries to fill the glasses to the top. Chill until thoroughly gelled and set, at least 4 hours or up to *overnight. Garnish the Moscato jell with whipped cream and mint; serve it with the remaining Moscato wine.

* I find it best (fully jelled) when refrigerated overnight. Otherwise you may have to place in freezer for a couple of hours.

It's delicious, refreshing and different.

You're Welcome Martin! :)

Having spent many summers in Key West, I love Cuban food. This soup is yummy and I fix this quite often.

Cuban Pork and Garbanzo Bean Soup

1 pound pork tenderloin

1 teaspoon olive oil

3/4 cup diced onion

1/2 cup Burgundy or other dry red wine

1 cup diced red bell pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth

2 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained

6 cloves garlic, minced

cooking spray

Trim fat from pork, and cut pork into 1/2-inch cubes. Coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray; add oil, and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add pork; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Add onion and wine; cook 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with warm cuban bread, or french bread.

This thread is for tasty little recipies that you have tried and loved .

I was looking for a thread like this the other day because I was making something I had never tried and was going to ask for some suggestions.

Thanks Kevin :thumbsup: