what is your favorite beer?

Batman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rolling Rock for ale and Amber Boch for something darker...

I'm with you Elvy! Amber Boch is my favorite dark beer. :)

Beer from green bottles aren't that good (i.e., Becks, Heineken). From what I recall, the darker the bottle, the better the fermentation and preservation of the reaction. The lighter colour of the bottle, the faster it will go down in quality. I think that's how it goes... I shoulda gone into fermentation science, but, then, SoCal isn't known for having that kind of industry (we just drink the stuff :cool: ).

That's right. Having toured the Anheiser Busch brewery a few times I remember that bit of brewer's trivia. ;)

Also, green, colourless and other strange coloured transparent bottles are bad because ultraviolet light can penetrate the bottles easily and spoil the beer. :)

Ultraviolet light? What's that? We don't get much of that in Canada where we are flooded with snow for the entire year and are constantly attacked by moose and beavers. In fact: the front lawn is the best place for our beer, the snow keeps it cold!

:laughing: :laughing:

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping for suggestions, since the tenth anniversary of my 21st is approaching and I'd like to celebrate with a 6-pack (or two) of something yummy. Since posting on this thread, I've tried Rising Moon (spring brew from the Blue Moon folks) and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. The Rising Moon is really limey and yummy, Sierra Nevada is veeeery hoppy - almost too much, but good when I'm in the mood for it.

I've had people suggest Harp lager, Newcastle, or some sort of hefeweizen (open to suggestions on brand). A friend suggested a nice Black & Tan with dinner...but I'm not a Guinness fan at all :blush: Mostly, I like lagers and ales. I'm thinking something a little sweet wouldn't be a bad thing.

Okay, so I've made a trip to the Brown Derby International Wine Center. Grabbed a bottle of Newcastle, but then saw that this was on sale for $2.50.

ss_nutbrown_bott.gif

Just then the beer guy walked past and said if I liked brown ale, I should try this stuff. So I took it as a sign and grabbed one to try. It's really yummy. So good that I'm not even drinking it cold...and it's better a bit warm anyway (never thought I'd be saying that). And not something I'd drink all the time, but will be nice in the winter. I might head back and buy a couple pints to put back for cooler weather ;)

Got a couple other treats, so will update with my thoughts later. And will probably pick up something else when I go back, so still open for suggestions.

Am thinking about a beer I'd never have considered in the past: chocolate stout. Am thinking Beer + Chocolate = Love :grin:

Can you tell I'm at the bottom of the bottle? :jester:

Peaches,

My husband refers to his hometown as BF...I've never heard it from anyone else!

I think I'm allergic to booze, so it's rootbeer for me. The only beer we have in the house is Warsteiner (from Germany?), my husband's beer of choice.

I love Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. And everything from the Leffe range. And Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Little Creature's Pale Ale is widely available here, though, and I think it is better than SNPA. You won't get it outside of Australia, though. :)

Also, I never get tired of telling people that Guinness Extras Stout is completely different to, and much, much better than Guinness Draught.

And, yes, make sure to give some chocolate stouts a try. Apparently they can be either very good or very bad, but Young's is a good one that is available pretty much everywhere. Beeradvocate.com has three Chocolate Stouts in their top 100, which are:

Foothill's Sexual Chocolate (North Carolina)

Southern Tier Choklat Imperial Stout (New York)

Rogue's Chocolate Stout (Oregon)

Am thinking about a beer I'd never have considered in the past: chocolate stout. Am thinking Beer + Chocolate = Love :grin:

Elvis, try Youngs Double Chocolate Luxory Stout. If you can get it in the can, thats the way to go. The can has a widget in it which is a nitrogen thingie. That is the way to go, but the bottled version is not too bad, either. Look for this: http://www.beercannews.com/COUNTRIES/United_Kingdom/UK_Can_News_01_1/UK-Youngs_Dble_Choc_St_X-US_44-00.JPG

:thumbsup: