Paul Stanley Gives Bands an F

RonJonSurfer

Kiss Star: 'Bands Are Failing Fans'

Kiss guitarist Paul Stanley has accused modern day rock bands of failing to provide their fans with value for money at concerts.

The frontman has hit out at the "useless and pathetic" bands who charge fans high prices for concert tickets, but fail to perform a decent gig.

He told Australia's Daily Telegraph, "Good economy or no economy, we have no intentions of stopping. We gave up doing this for money a long time ago, we love it, but we still get paid.

"Rock and roll is in a pathetic state. Bands think they can get up on stage and strum their guitars and then download it - it's useless and pathetic.

"We're sick and tired of seeing bands getting up on stage and not giving value for your buck."

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2008

Fans today need to be what we are and have been throughout our lives... selective about who we patronize. It's just like the film industry, it's all going down hill because people pay money to see/hear crap. It's supply and demand, if folks stop giving out money, then the crap will dry up and blow away.

Don't blame the crap for coming out of the dog, or even the dog for that matter, blame Purina for proving the source of the crap. You like that analogy?

I'm not sure that Paul knows exactly what he's talking about

they strum their guitars, and then download it?

So bands are going on stage, playing a few chords.... then going back to their hotel rooms, firing up limewire, and downloading..... those chords that were just strummed?

Look, there are a lot of crappy bands out there (fall out boy... every other 'altpunk' band that are popular with douchebags that enjoy wearing designer labels and drinking mountain dew, and doing other things of an extreme nature) but it seems to me that Paul's just putting a string of words together that vaguely constitute a musical criticism.

I stand by it , too . Without the notoriety of disco annoying a number of fans , KISS likely would've never gotten out of a NY bar . In that atmosphere , and with so many mainstream artists doing little or nothing to satisfy fans , KISS seemed a last hope . The make-up was something new - but especially bloody tongues , a la Alice Cooper shows , perhaps , was the hook .Costumes and boots were still quite disco or simply neo-Bowie , ironically .

The media loved this picturesque and very goofy bunch to write about - but rarely about their music . They were a symptom of the silly '70s , and quite clearly , The Monkees of their era -a conglomeration of all the 70's had to offer for the most part - cheap thrills. They died a quick and deserving death , naturally , when confronted with the New Wave/punk .

They weren't unpopular ,Katie - far from it . Look at The Monkees in 1967 - 4 songs at #1 - the same year as Sgt. Pepper ! They were a marketing phenom, sadly , I think ; a time when corporations started to see that there may be something to these silly bands and we got KISS stickers , sneakers , toothpaste , cereal , etc .

... and shortly after... MTV }:|... and then rock died it's second death .

And again , it wasn't about their music - no one cared - it was a KISS show that everyone wanted to see .

haha I KNOW they weren't unpopular. I love Kiss...they aren't my favourite band, but they are up there. I just get sick of them being slagged off all the time. I don't really care what kind of money hungry devil Gene Simmons has turned into, or how much botox Paul Stanley has had...they were a good band, they exemplified the best of a genre and are still very popular almost forty years on.

Oh that would explain why they were so unpopular then.

Ken?

Well I think we all know that popularity doesn't equate to musical quality.

Anyways, Paul Stanley is either wrong, or just a bad musical shopper. I've got no problem being cheap and seeing great shows. In fact, possibly the best show I've ever been to was free! The March Fourth Marching Band from Portland Oregon.

• 4 weeks later...

Kiss..... sigh...

There are no good bands, nor are there any bad bands. People get together, form a unit, write, record and produce music and it's up to the individual to buy it or leave it on the shelf. Some bands make it wildly popular (and Kiss did do this) and others make it for 10 minutes or so and blow away like last November's withered oak leaves (the eels, Wallis Bird, Nerve Rack, the Kooks etc.) I'm not saying that those bands are bad, just, they won't be around this time 5 years from now. Like Roxette back in the '80's. And while some might say that the older bands, Kiss, Eagles, et.al only make it on the nostalgia fact, they must have written some music that appealed to a lot of people. Nostalgia only goes so far.

I don't know Paul Stanley personally and the media has a way of twisting statements and taking things out of context, but I interpret "We're sick and tired of seeing bands getting up on stage and not giving value for your buck." as "there is no one out there currently like Kiss that entertains their audience by burning your retnas and assaulting your ears and making a long lasting impression". And I'd agree with him, to a point. But to each, their own....