2008 in Music

Farin

Any specific songs you would reccomend?

I can see how A Milli would annoy some, it does have a very repetetive beat (although I think it's a really catchy beat). I mostly like the song for the rap. Not enough mainstream rappers do really clever free associative raps like that. Lil Wayne has a pretty obnoxious personality, but it's hard to deny that he's a really talented rapper.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go ahead and deny it.

Why don't you think he's a talented rapper? His rhymes are clever, he has good flow, and he puts so much effort and emotion into his voice. It seems like most mainstream rappers have a really lazy drawl or a really over the top yell that ends up sounding monotone because they never change their voice, but Lil Wayne really puts a lot of emotion into his voice and it isn't stagnant and stale like a lot of rappers. And of course he's got some bad songs but he releases like over 100 songs every year, he's bound to have some clunkers.

I don't mean to be rude, but I wasn't really asking for names, I was asking for explanation. I wouldn't say he's better than Chuck D or Q Tip or Del (well, he actually might be a better rapper than Q Tip, even though I prefer Tribe's music to his), but I would say he's in the same league (as a rapper). See, when talking about his skills as a rapper, you've got to make sure you make the distinction between rapping and the music as a whole. I mean, maybe A Milli has a boring beat or whatever, but if you just are judging the rapping, he has great flow, a lot of charisma, good rhymes, entertaining lyrics, and you can tell he's so into it and really feeling it, you know? Even though the lyrical content is pretty much just him babbling about random free-associative stuff in A Milli, he's rapping about it really passionately. At least, he's more passionate than I ever hear Q Tip get (and again, I love A Tribe Called Quest and I like Q Tip's rapping a lot for how well it fits their laid back beats, I'm just pointing out one advantage Lil Wayne has over him that would put him in at least the same league as him).

And it's totally possible to think highly of his rapping but not his music. Kind of like how I would call Steve Perry a good singer even though I don't really like Journey.

and for what it's worth, I'm almost positive I'm going to hate his next album, which I think is going to be called "T-Wayne," and it's an entire album of him and T-Pain singing through an auto-tune. Ugh. The auto-tune has got to be my least favorite fad of the past few years. Leave robot voices to robot music (Daft Punk use vocoders well), and leave singing to singers.

("Good Life" by Kanye West is exempt from this rant because it's too good.)

By now I'm probably just being annoying, but I'm not trying to get down on you or anything, I'm just curious as to why you don't think he's a good rapper. I could accept you not liking his rapping, but from a less subjective and more critical standpoint, I can only come up with evidence as to why he's a great rapper.

Or another question to ask would be what makes the four rappers you mentioned so great that someone like Weezy would "pale in comparison?"

Actually I think basically I'm just being a snob and saying that because I like those other rappers a lot more, they're better. Ask me a question about rock music, a domain I'm much more versed in, and I can give you much more technical reasons as to good vs. bad. With Lil Wayne, I just know I don't like him. At all. :P

I like the few singles I've heard from the Knux. Cappucino is a really fun song. They kind of remind me of the Cool Kids, being another group of, you know, hipster rappers. And people almost always use the term "hipster" in a derogatory way, but in this context, it is a very good thing. Plus, they said in Rolling Stone that A Milli was their favorite song of the year ;)

The auto-tune has got to be my least favorite fad of the past few years. Leave robot voices to robot music (Daft Punk use vocoders well), and leave singing to singers.

("Good Life" by Kanye West is exempt from this rant because it's too good.)

I hate me some auto-tune. But you're right about Good Life...now throw your hands up to the sky!

You know what was a really awesome song this year? "Single Ladies" by Beyonce. I like it because it has the same feel to it as a classic motown/soul song because of the way Beyonce sings and the fun feeling of the verses, but it doesn't sound at all retro. The song takes a lot of the elements of classic soul but uses it in a modern context, with the futuristic beat and synth heavy chorus.

I also really like "Love In This Club" by Usher but I have no idea why. It probably has a lot to do with that synth hook.