2008 in Music

Farin

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Portishead just leaked, I haven't heard it yet though.

I'm looking forward to new releases from The Thermals, Del The Funkee Homosapien, and Madvillain.

Some good ones that have already come out are MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Black Mountain, and Beach House.

These are my favorite songs of the year so far:

“Supernatural Superseriousâ€- REM

“Runâ€- Gnarls Barkley

“Liverpool 8â€- Ringo Starr

“Bright Lightsâ€- Black Mountain

"Oxford Commaâ€- Vampire Weekend

“Aberinkulaâ€- The Mars Volta

“Shake A Fistâ€- Hot Chip

“Oh Josephineâ€- Black Crowes

“Real Emotional Trashâ€- Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks

“You Really Got A Hold On Meâ€- She and Him

“New Soulâ€- Yael Naim

“Super Soakedâ€- Be Your Own Pet

“Strange Timesâ€- The Black Keys

“We’re Gonna Riseâ€- The Breeders

Stephen Malkmus album has come out already, and I am already ready to declare it my fave album of '08.

Real Emotional Trash is a milestone in rock'n'roll, SM keeps his crazy poetry and indie voice, all accompanied by the greatest guitar work of the last 20+ years.

For anyone who hasn't figured it out yet, Malkmus is one of the greatest guitarists of all time, since his start in pavement, he is one of the only players since the injection of the electric guitar in rock'n'roll to use dynamics... and use them well.

With his solos, he takes you in and out of key, but never out of the song, and uses this tension to launch you into a completely different direction- see, "Real Emotional Trash' it , as a ballad-y slow jazz guitar work, goes to a expositional section, which seemlessly takes you to a full on freak out, with screamed crazy lyrics and uptempo kick-assness.

-Anyway the album rocks, and I get to see malkmus in... five days.

Hmmm... what am I looking forward to... new R.E.M. supernatural superserious fuels my hope that they have actually remembered how to rock, I have a feeling that Mike Stipe has given back some creative control to Peter Buck (he was always my fave member...)

Other than that, it is too early to say what's lookin' good

But Real Emotional Trash satisfies all my needs for the entire year.

new R.E.M. supernatural superserious fuels my hope that they have actually remembered how to rock, I have a feeling that Mike Stipe has given back some creative control to Peter Buck (he was always my fave member...)

why am I the only one who hasn't heard that song yet? :crazy: