The Songfactor's Choice: Distinctive Debuts

Elvish

not sure how to work the image-hosting site thing, so no pic right now...

First, google an image. Click on the image to get ONLY the image. Copy the link.

Go to http://www.imageshack.us/.

Clik on the URL circle (second one from the left) and paste the link on the box.

Click on "host"

Copy the lower bar. Then go to "Reply" (in SF) and click on the fourth little box from the left, first line on the "reply" box

(a mountain and a sun)

Paste the link.

Click "OK"

Et voila. :)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heart ~ Dreamboat Annie (released 1976)

200px-Dreamboatannie.jpg

"Magic Man" - 5:28

"Dreamboat Annie (Fantasy Child)" - 1:10

"Crazy on You" - 4:53

"Soul of the Sea" - 6:33

"Dreamboat Annie" - 2:02

"White Lightning & Wine" - 3:53

"(Love Me Like Music) I'll Be Your Song" - 3:20

"Sing Child" (A. Wilson, N. Wilson, Steve Fossen, Roger Fisher) - 4:55

"How Deep It Goes" (A. Wilson) - 3:49

"Dreamboat Annie (Reprise)" - 3:50

When I heard about this album coming out, I knew I had to buy it, rocker chicks, something that was missing in the mid 70's. With the death of Janis in 1970 real rockin' women weren't out there to enjoy.

I bought the album and I was blown away. The powerful voice of Ann was perfect for a woman rocker. She had a sexiness about her singing yet it was strong and rocked. Nancy was impressive with her guitar playing, especially acoustically. Two beautiful sexy sisters playing real rock and roll with just as much passion and more as any guy rocker.

I listened to the album over and over when I first brought it home. Right of the bat you are rockin' with Magic Man the first cut on the album and became their first hit. A true classic rock song, will stand the test of time. With Crazy on You, Nancy shines on guitar, remember the great riff...kicks ass! Even on Dreamboat Annie, where they don't rock so hard, it's pure rock love ballad.

This is one of the best debut albums of the 70's rock scene. Ann and Nancy Wilson brought women to the front of the rock world and to the top of the charts. They rocked out and the band had one hell of a chemisty. You knew they loved the music they were playing and singing. Heart paved the way for many female rockers to come. But none ever came close to the powerful sexy sound that is Heart.

The Stone Roses

s33ckj.jpg

Track List

1. " I Wanna Be Adored" – 4:52

2. "She Bangs The Drums " – :42

3. "Waterfall " – 4:37

4. "Don't Stop" – 5:17

5. "Bye Bye Badman " – 4:00

6. "Elizabeth My Dear" – 0:59

7. "(Song for My) Sugar Spun Sister" – 3:25

8. "Made Of Stone " – 4:10

9. "Shoot You Down" – 4:10

10. "This Is the One" – 4:58

11. "I Am the Resurrection" – 8:12

They unwittingly created the Madchester movement in the early 90s together with the Happy Mondays and the Inspiral Carpets, but no matter how good the other two bands were, the Stone Roses were always more than a few notches above.

I find it difficult to explain exactly how brilliant they were... How they deviated from the mainstream and created a sound that influenced and an attitude that was ripped off by almost every band that followed them. Fortunately, AllMusic says it better than I could:

Since the Stone Roses were the nominal leaders of Britain's "Madchester" scene -- an indie rock phenomenon that fused guitar pop with drug-fueled rave and dance culture -- it's rather ironic that their eponymous debut only hints at dance music. What made the Stone Roses important was how they welcomed dance and pop together, treating them as if they were the same beast. Equally important was the Roses' cool, detached arrogance, which was personified by Ian Brown's nonchalant vocals. Brown's effortless malevolence is brought to life with songs that equal both his sentiments and his voice -- "I Wanna Be Adored," with its creeping bassline and waves of cool guitar hooks, doesn't demand adoration, it just expects it. Similarly, Brown can claim "I Am the Resurrection" and lie back, as if there were no room for debate. But the key to The Stone Roses is John Squire's layers of simple, exceedingly catchy hooks and how the rhythm section of Reni and Mani always imply dance rhythms without overtly going into the disco. On "She Bangs the Drums" and "Elephant Stone," the hooks wind into the rhythm inseparably -- the '60s hooks and the rolling beats manage to convey the colorful, neo-psychedelic world of acid house. Squire's riffs are bright and catchy, recalling the British Invasion while suggesting the future with their phased, echoey effects. The Stone Roses was a two-fold revolution -- it brought dance music to an audience that was previously obsessed with droning guitars, while it revived the concept of classic pop songwriting, and the repercussions of its achievement could be heard throughout the '90s, even if the Stone Roses could never achieve this level of achievement again.

They didn't last long enough to make it as big as the likes of Oasis (who stole their 'we're gonna be the biggest band in the world' attitude) and they had more than their share of band member adjustments. But this album shows they really were a bunch of geniuses (genii?). It's gold :bow: :bow:

Employment by Kaisar Chiefs

Employment_kaiser_chiefs.jpg

Wikipedia:

"Employment is the debut album by English rock band Kaiser Chiefs. It was released on March 7, 2005 on the B-Unique record label and went on to becoming the fourth best-selling album in the United Kingdom that year.

A massive critical and commercial success, Employment takes its inspirations from the Britpop movement, as well as 70s'-era art rock/punk and Beach Boys-esque West Coast music. Originally the album charted at #3 in the UK Albums Chart on March 13, 2005, but charted one place higher at #2 almost a year after its release, due to the bands sucsess at the Brit Awards."

Tracks:

(singles are in bold)

1. "Everyday I Love You Less and Less" – 3:37

2. "I Predict a Riot" – 3:53

3. "Modern Way" – 4:03

4. "Na Na Na Na Naa" – 3:01

5. "You Can Have It All" – 4:35

6. "Oh My God" – 3:35

7. "Born to Be a Dancer" – 3:30

8. "Saturday Night" – 3:27

9. "What Did I Ever Give You?" – 4:09

10. "Time Honoured Tradition" – 2:45

11. "Caroline, Yes" – 4:13

12. "Team Mate" – 3:24

Definetly a very good start of a promising '00 band!

Edited by Guest
added videos/mp3

Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols - Sex Pistols

200px-Never_Mind_the_Bollocks.jpg

Wikipedia:

"the only album recorded by the English punk rock band, Sex Pistols. It is now regarded as a classic and influential punk rock, and rock and roll, album by fans and critics alike.

The album was released on October 28, 1977 on the Virgin Records label,[1] amid controversy arising from the use of the obscenity (in British English) "bollocks" in its title."

Track Listing:

Side one

1. "Holidays in the Sun" – 3:22 *

2. "Liar" – 2:41

3. "No Feelings" – 2:51

4. "God Save the Queen" – 3:20

5. "Problems" – 4:11

[edit] Side two

1. "Seventeen" – 2:02

2. "Anarchy in the U.K." – 3:32

3. "Bodies" – 3:03 *

4. "Pretty Vacant" – 3:18

5. "New York" – 3:07

6. "E.M.I." – 3:10

Too bad it was their only album!

"Precious" - 3:36

"The Phone Call" - 2:29

"Up the Neck" - 4:27

"Tattooed Love Boys" - 2:59

"Space Invader" (Pete Farndon, James Honeyman-Scott) - 3:26

"The Wait" (Farndon, Hynde) - 3:35

"Stop Your Sobbing" (Ray Davies) - 2:38 produced by Nick Lowe

"Kid" 3:06

"Private Life" - 6:25

"Brass in Pocket (I'm Special)" (Honeyman-Scott, Hynde) - 3:04

"Lovers of Today" - 5:51

"Mystery Achievement" - 5:23

Their debut 1980 album didn't have a ton of hits (just Brass In Pocket), but this sucker holds up nicely. Those of us who love the unbridled passion of Patti Smith but prefer it in a more digestible studio setting can really get into Chrissy Hynde, who is also the main songwriter here. "Tattooed Love Boys" and "Kid" are the standout tracks.

b000002ib901sclzzzzzzzhp6.jpg

Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna

(Farin - I'll be your best friend if you can post a picture of this album cover for me) :grin:

As everyone who knows me at all knows, I am a card-carrying Stevie Nicks fan. I loved her from the moment I first heard the first Fleetwood Mac album she was on, and I remember saying to my friends that I couldn't wait for her to come out with a solo album so I could hear a whole album with nothing but Stevie.

In 1981 my wait was rewarded with Bella Donna. The original LP I bought is still in my cedar chest. It is so precious to me that I refuse to part with it. It's worn thin from the needle of my turntable. In my cassette collection is also a recording of her "White Winged Dove" tour that was featured on HBO and simulcast on KGB-FM in San Diego. It is the short, short tour she did to promote her first solo effort.

From Wiki: In an effort to provide an output for the numerous songs she had written that would not end up finding their place on Fleetwood Mac albums due to the fact that the band consisted of three songwriters, Nicks began working on a solo album in 1980. She released Bella Donna on July 27, 1981. Its lead single, "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around", was a collaboration with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and it reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100. Other singles included "Leather and Lace" (#6) with Don Henley, "Edge of Seventeen" (#11), and "After the Glitter Fades" (#32). Bella Donna reached #1 on the Billboard 200, and as of 1990 it is certified five times platinum.

Nicks has been nominated for seven Grammy Awards, and with Fleetwood Mac won the 1977 Grammy for Album of the Year for Rumours. As a member of Fleetwood Mac, she was inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.

Edited by Guest
yay, best friends ;)

41884942914bd995230mhe0.jpg

Boston ~ Boston

(Farin - help!! :grin:)

The year was 1976, my freshman year in high school. For the first time I was allowed to do more "grown-up" things, like going to parties and staying out late. Really late.

This album, along with "Hotel California" by the Eagles, were the soundtracks for my life at that time. Everywhere I went, every radio station I listened to, every turntable at every party had this album playing.

From Wiki: Boston began when Tom Scholz, an MIT engineering graduate who worked at Polaroid answered a newspaper ad placed by guitarist Barry Goudreau, seeking a keyboard player for a band called "Mothers Milk." [1] (Scholz was predominantly a keyboard player at the time, although he developed rapidly as a guitar player during Boston's early years.)

Scholz made many recordings at his home studio with the future members of Boston, as well as drummer Jim Masdea (with whom Scholz played in a prior band), and singer Ron Patti from the band Boston Creme. The roots of the first album were created in these early demo sessions with songs such as "More Than a Feeling," "Hitch a Ride," "Peace of Mind," "Foreplay/Long Time" and "Rock & Roll Band." Scholz soon became frustrated with the limitations of the technology at the time and his inability to capture the sound he wanted, so he began building and designing his own equipment.

The first tapes Scholz produced were rejected by the record labels. A second set of tapes with Scholz on guitar, newly hired singer Brad Delp on vocals and Masdea on drums, drew the attention of executives at Epic Records, a division of CBS. The label was dissatisfied with Masdea's performance, and he was replaced by Sib Hashian. The label also insisted that Scholz re-record the demo tapes in a professional studio with a full band, which led to the hiring of bassist Fran Sheehan. With the exception of "Let Me Take You Home Tonight," which was recorded in California, Scholz re-recorded the other seven tracks in his home studio.

The resulting debut album, Boston, was an enormous success and helped revive the popularity of mainstream rock at a time when disco was beginning to dominate radio airplay and an ascendant punk was attracting critical acclaim. The record ranks as the best-selling debut album in U.S. history, with over 17 million copies sold, a rank it still holds.

During the summer of 1976 Boston got much publicity when they toured with Black Sabbath and Moxy. The band then embarked on a worldwide tour to support the new album. This helped establish Boston as one of rock's top acts within a short time.

The album spawned one Top 10 single, "More Than a Feeling" and two other Top 40 hits, "Peace of Mind" and "Foreplay/Long Time". Additionally, the album peaked at #3 on the Billboard charts. Eleven years later, Boston would reappear in the Billboard Top 200, reaching #101.

Edited by Guest
Farin to the rescue

BlackCrowesShakeYourMoneymaker.jpg

Shake Your Money Maker ~ The Black Crowes

From Amazon:

Few young bands have embraced classic rock as fully as the Black Crowes. Their debut album features a bar-band stomp rooted in the back catalogs of the Rolling Stones, Free, the Faces, any number of early-'70s hard rockers. The secret of their success has been singer Chris Robinson's lanky rock-star poses matched with a voice as raw as whisky and as inviting as velvet. Add a healthy rhythm section accentuated by producer (and Rick Rubin protégé) George Drakoulias and you've got the dynamic shuffle of their hits ("Jealous Again" and the title track). While the band clearly likes to party, they're even more convincing as the Sunday-morning comedown of "She Talks to Angels." --Rob O'Connor

1. "Twice as Hard"

2. "Jealous Again" (network TV debut on Letterman"

3. "Sister Luck"

4. "Could I've Been So Blind"

5. "Seeing Things"

6. "Hard to Handle"

7. "Thick N' Thin"

8. "She Talks to Angels"

9. "Struttin' Blues"

10. "Stare It Cold"

11. "Live Too Fast Blues/Mercy, Sweet Moan"

Edited by Guest