The Songfactor's Choice: Distinctive Debuts

Elvish

thanks for sharing your thoughts about it with us (keep doing that please ;) )

we're always open for suggestions and are always trying to improve the Songfactors' Choice :)

obviously we can't change the rules now, after 17 people already voted, but we still can discuss the procedures for the coming months :)

one possible problem is to choose a fitting theme, something that we all (or at least the large majority) can participate in, for that we too are always looking for suggestions :)

it's not much use to allow ten votes, when we only have 17 nominations in total...

:thumbsup:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin, that's what I'm getting at...

If it's a small turnout (12 noms) then just one round of 5 is sufficient.

But there are times (such as the last 2 themes) where the turnout has been nearly double the norm. My suggestion is when this happens then split the noms in half (odds and evens or something) and have either 2 rounds of 5 choices or 2 rounds of 4 choices. The noms can be split in half and the final top 5 can be chosen from the top rated noms.

For myself, the Top Ten is difficult even when there is a small turnout, so when I can only choose 5 it's extra-difficult! :laughing:

I must say I'm quite happy with a Top 5... it's completely different if you've got 50 nominations of course, but not with 15 or 20.

Also, voting three times per round wouldn't put me off as such, but I'd rather just vote once.

Plus it'd be a lot of work... I mean obviously I wouldn't have to do the counting, but still. Up to Martin though! ;)

Edited by Guest
yes, I'm a little too fond of 'of course'

first, we're a team, I'm not making any decisions by myself ;)

for now, I kinda share Fin's thoughts, 3 votes could be a bit much, also - do you think it will be easier to choose your top 5 from only 10 possible albums/artists?

also think in the other direction, what if people only like one or two of these ten?

I'm not trying to put down your suggestions, I'm just playing devil's advocate... :crazy:

maybe we can work something out :)

PS don't forget the suggestions for themes :)

PPS don't forget to VOTE either ;)

What do y'all think about revisiting a topic that was particularly popular at some point in the future? Women Gone Wild II? ;)

We could allow renominations from the original list (not including the winners, of course) as well as new nominations that weren't in the first round. Would make things consistent, as far as the lists go.

We're talking about it Bluesy. ;)

What do y'all think about revisiting a topic that was particularly popular at some point in the future? Women Gone Wild II? ;)

We could allow renominations from the original list (not including the winners, of course) as well as new nominations that weren't in the first round. Would make things consistent, as far as the lists go.

Let's get some input for ideas for SFC from everyone. When we changed the old MoC format to this new Songfactors' Choice format, we said it would be a work in progress, and that we could always tinker with it. So let's tinker! We'll get some ideas that work, and some that won't, but this IS the Songfactors' Choice, right? And, again, we need ideas for topics, ones that make for a wide participation (and not necessarily album oriented).

1. Stone Roses, The - The Stone Roses

2. Definitely Maybe - Oasis

3. Ten - Pearl Jam

4. Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters

5. Moon Safari - Air

All right... this was hard so here's the basis on which I ordered them. Without the Stone Roses there'd be no Madchester and no Oasis so they're right on top. Oasis and Pearl Jam are pretty much tied for second place, but I give a slight edge to Oasis because I think it's a better debut than Ten, since, IMO, Pearl Jam only improved with Vs. Foo Fighters and Air, I just like them. Black Crowes just missed because I like The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion just a tiny bit more than Shake Your Money Maker.

and here comes:

The Songfactors' Choice: Distinctive Debuts

AreyouexpUK.jpg

Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967)

lynyrd_skynyrd_pronounced_album_cov.jpg

(pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd) - Lynyrd Skynyrd (1973)

7314jo6uz8.jpg

Ten - Pearl Jam (1991)

gunsnrosesappetitefordekv4.jpg

Appetite for Destruction - Guns N' Roses (1987)

42513772vj5.png

In The Court of The Crimson King - King Crimson (1969)

:hippie:

Additional Note:

Just like the last time the results from The Songfactors' Choice will get posted in a blog entry on the SF mainpage. For that purpose we'd like to ask the nominators of our five great albums to write a couple of lines about how and why these albums are the best debuts and thus are deservedly featured in our list.

(of course you will be given credits for that)

:headphones: