The Songfactor's Choice: Distinctive Debuts

Elvish

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60's, 70's, 80's, 90's all represented. Good job everyone! :cool:

Tim, I couldn't agree more. These aren't the same albums that show up on every other list, in every magazine or on every website. It's very representative of the diversity we have here. Congrats to everybody, for great nominations, and a great final list!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest

Four of the albums I voted for made it! :bow:

haha I think I was the only one who voted for Marillion. do you guys not know Marillion, or just not like them?

I'm just starting to get into them now. I'm finding as many free Marillion mp3s as I can at the moment, before I decide if I will buy that album or not. :cool:

okay, I'll start then: :)

Ten ~ Pearl Jam

Often standing in the shadows of Nirvana's Nevermind, one shouldn't underestimate this album's influence in the development and popularisation of Grunge and Alternative Rock. Ten was and remains one of the defining albums of the first half of the 90s. Hard rock riffs combined with Vedder's deep lyrics which address dark themes such as gun violence, frustration, loneliness makes it a must-have in every music collection

Even Flow

KING CRIMSON :rockon:

Yes!! :bow: :bow: :thumbsup:

haha I think I was the only one who voted for Marillion. do you guys not know Marillion, or just not like them?

I know them. I´ve even been to a couple of their concerts, in the eighties. I also had dinner with Fish, the former singer... :cool:

how is it that you get to meet people like that?

Being a music journalist opens every door... :cool: That was fifteen years ago when I worked in the music scene. I used to meet half of the people coming to tour or promote their albums.

Plus I was dating their A&R record company by then... :grin:

Jimi! :D

Who nominated that one? I was about to nominate it but someone was quicker; congratulations!

maybe to avoid confusion, here are the nominators for the Top 5:

Are You Experienced? - Lea

(pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd) - Lucky

Ten - Farin

Appetite for Destruction - Rayzor

In The Court of The Crimson King - Edna

if you don't want to write anything we can throw together a sentence or two for you, but on the other hand, how often do you get the chance to see your name on the mainpage? ;)

Are You Experienced-Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix's stylistically innovative work from his debut album and every preceding album , have earned him and kept him loyal fans right up to the present day. His well deserved fame as one of the greatest guitarists of all time is still as relevant today as it was in the sixties. He was and will remain one of the greatest rock legends of all time.

(pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd) ~ Lynyrd Skynyrd

This is the album that gave birth to a genre in 1973. The phrase "Southern Rock" hadn't been uttered until these guys came onto the music scene. Their sound was raw, and hard rocking, blues/rock flavored with a bit of country. Their original lyrics were sweet southern poetry, as told from the view of a Southern redneck boy. Every song on this release was a winner. The last (and eerily prophetic) track, will forever be a Rock 'n' Roll anthem, and provided us with that shout heard in live venues from coast to coast, North or South, from the albums release, until today ..... "Play Free Bird, man !!"

"If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me?" Yeah, Ronnie, we remember.

"In The Court Of The Crimson King"

King Crimson

In 1969 psychedelic rock was a trendy genre; "ITCOTCK" is psychedelic but it´s mainly progressive-rock, with bits of minimal and not so easy to listen.

Robert Fripp and Pete Sinfield created an athmosphere that opened the door to further experimentation, while selling lots of copies. Not an easy task.

Appetite For Destruction

Guns N' Roses

The 1980's were known for many things. One of these things were something called "hair-bands".

Loud rockers with hair that made most females jealous. There were many bands opening the doors to this new music style and at just the right time appeared Guns N' Roses with their album "Appetite For Destruction". The album was an instant hit. Sitting upon the top ten charts across the world for months and selling faster than bottled water in the desert nearly every track was a hit. From "Night Train" to "Paradise City" and the ever popular "Welcome To The Jungle" the voice of Axl Rose (William Bailey) and the lead guitars of Slash (Saul Rosen) gave the band the edge over all others. Still today the original cast of Guns N' Roses can be heard from car stereos and i-pods alike.

:drummer: