Best Guitar players of all time

chinchu

Has anyone ever actually watched Ritchie Blackmore :bow: :bow: play the guitar?! He's the smoothest, the quickest, the cleanest, and exerts the least amount of effort in the process... not to mention the loudest and the coolest looking. He's eeeeeasily Number One in my book.

And oh by the way, the guy had to overcome a horrible case of STAGEFRIGHT!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a really good guitar player you Brits might know of, Stefan Joubert. If you ever go to Covent Garden, you know who I'm talking about. Rayzor saying how that guy played with his guitar on his lap reminded me of him. He'll sit there on his amp, turn up the echo effect, and just tap away. I remember he did a lot of U2 covers, but had some cool originals. I bought his CD, £20, but it didn't really do him justice.

Anybody else here know who I'm talking about?

I...er.... :blush: ...yes...how can I put it?

The next time you visit Covent Garden...Joubert won't be there...I ran over him. It was a complete accident...he strayed onto the pavement...I swerved...

Ollie Halsall was very good. He lived in Spain for a while... I think I met him once or twice. He played a lot with Kevin Ayers.

Mick Ronson :bow: :bow:

Ollie Halsall was a bloody genius on the guitar. I saw him in about 75/76 with the band 'Boxer' (I think) and have never seen a better guitarist since!

:cool:

Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth

Having already mastered all the technique guitar has to offer, and being able to play every inversion, every note with ease

Thurston grew bored, so he took the guitar to new extremes, using alternate tunings like no one else had (or has, and I doubt ever will) and got amp distortion down to a science,

he has also made numerous 'prepared guitars' (a la john cage) by using household objects, and whatever he could get his hands on, to create new sounds. There was one guitar that he stuck screwdrivers under the frets, used an old piece of crap amp, cranked it all the way up, and it sounded like church bells.

Stephen Malkmus-

Not only can he play anything, he can come up with melodies that no one can come close to.

He makes 'playing' out sound like childsplay, and has come up with more interesting guitar techniques than anyone else, including your steve vai 80s glamor types.

He is also a master of dynamics, something you don't see in rock guitar...ever.

and for anyone who needs proof of his prowess, see his new album 'real emotional trash' in which he proves that he can play like Hendrix- the man who deserves the number three spot.

1)Malkmus (for technique, melodic composition)

2)Thurston(creativity)

3)Hendrix

4)Django

5)Clapton.

Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth

Having already mastered all the technique guitar has to offer, and being able to play every inversion, every note with ease

Thurston grew bored, so he took the guitar to new extremes, using alternate tunings like no one else had (or has, and I doubt ever will) and got amp distortion down to a science,

he has also made numerous 'prepared guitars' (a la john cage) by using household objects, and whatever he could get his hands on, to create new sounds. There was one guitar that he stuck screwdrivers under the frets, used an old piece of crap amp, cranked it all the way up, and it sounded like church bells.

Even as a guitarist (of sorts) myself, I hate "Best guitarists" debates: it's so rare that I can ever relate to anything that anyone ever says/suggests in them. :bow: :bow: :bow: for Thurston Moore and a :bow: :thumbsup: for you Scott; this is something of a first for me.

Aside from Thurston, my "guitar heroes" are Geordie Walker (Killing Joke), Marco Pirroni (Adam And The Ants) and, uh...Steve Albini.

haha, thanks man,

I figured I'd break up the chatter for a bit

I mean usually as far as 'technique inventing' it usually gets as deep as

"Yo bra, Eddie Van Halen invented neck tapping"

"no young son, neck tapping was in Edgar Winter Group!"

"STEVE VAI!!!!!!"

and I just gotta say, neck tapping, big deal, what about the guy who stuck screwdrivers in his guitar to make it sound like a church bell?

there's just so much differences in compositions, styles, techniques, I find it very hard to throw some names as 'the best'

Jimi Hendrix

Jimi page

Eric Clapton

John Frusciante

David Gilmour

many more who's name I can't think of but can be even better of the ones I mentioned ;)

Jimmy Page

He was in a GREAT band, and he wrote great songs

but as far as his guitar-ing, he's just using riffs that have been used since the days of Robert Johnson, he plays them very well, he's very creative with them, but it's nothing 'special'

See, where Jimmy Page gets his greatness, is he was playing with three other incredibly great musicians- the product of the group was greater than the sum of it's parts.

Jimmy Page without Led Zep... meh, he's all right, but loses that allure.

Eric Clapton- he too just does the old Robert Johnson stuff, but he does it so exceptionally well, and stays true to those roots, so he belongs on the list, not as an innovator, but as the greatest blues man perhaps ever.

Frusciante- He is great, because he takes the Chili Peppers from a so-so funk band, and propels them to full on rock levels

his downfall- he can only play well in two keys.

Hendrix- Hendrix is great because he is an innovator, he made his own sound, experimented with what he did, and that is why he is great.

which is why Malkmus and Thurston belong on the same plain as Hendrix, they all refused to play like every other guy that's picked up a guitar.

and David Gilmour... Syd Barrett was much better, another example of a guy who played with his own style.

blargh, I'm gonna be grumpy.

Here's Thurston rocking out, this is off their latest album rather ripped their 'pop album'

watch the power of his rock!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytADXZFzwH8

as an interesting side note, thurston is almost 50 (as is every other member of the band)

Sonic Youth, young forever!

Edited by Guest
to point out the fountain of youth