Best Guitar players of all time

chinchu

Now here comes the war...

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Eddie Van Halen (Only for inventing tapping)

4. Joe Satriani

5. Pat Metheny

6. Vitto Bratta (If Van Halen invented tapping, this guy took it to its climax, way more than Vai)

7. Jimmy Paige

8. Santana (Not that virtuoso, but way too much feeling)

9. John Petrucci

10. Chuck Berry (C'mon, he changed the way guitar should be played)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Healey just passed away last week due to cancer he had since he was born. He was only 41. Went blind at age 1. His biggest hits were Angel Eyes and Cruel Little Number as well as his cover of the song While My Guitar Gently Weeps. He played the guitar across his lap but was still able to stand up and jump around on stage while playing his solos. The guy was taken for granted until he passed away.

RIP Jeff

I will have to agree with you with Django Reinhardt... He was great... But you know, coming up with a list with so many options means some are gonna be left behind... So keep giving feedback...

so do you want feedback to your list, or do you want us to come up with other great guitar players?

There's a really good guitar player you Brits might know of, Stefan Joubert. If you ever go to Covent Garden, you know who I'm talking about. Rayzor saying how that guy played with his guitar on his lap reminded me of him. He'll sit there on his amp, turn up the echo effect, and just tap away. I remember he did a lot of U2 covers, but had some cool originals. I bought his CD, £20, but it didn't really do him justice.

Anybody else here know who I'm talking about?

Sure you can...

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Carlos Santana

4. Jimmy Page

5. Stevie Ray Vaughan

6. Eddie Van Halen

7. Slash

8. Robbie Krieger

9. Billy Gibbons

10. Brian May

Yes, these guys (except Robbie and Billy) generally get all the credit, but hell, they deserve it. Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen... too much technique, no soul.

Sure you can...

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Carlos Santana

4. Jimmy Page

5. Stevie Ray Vaughan

6. Eddie Van Halen

7. Slash

8. Robbie Krieger

9. Billy Gibbons

10. Brian May

Yes, these guys (except Robbie and Billy) generally get all the credit, but hell, they deserve it. Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen... too much technique, no soul.

Oh... you want soul? Then use my other nominees: Angus Young and Jeff Healey and Joe Walsh is no pushover neither is Peter Frampton :grin:

1. Jimmy Page

2. Jimi Hendrix

3. Eric Clapton

4. Steve Howe

5. Martin Barre

6. Eddie Van Halen

7. Carlos Santana

8. Robert Fripp

9. Steve Hackett

10. Ian Moss

Saying EVH invented tapping is indeed a good way to start a war. I can't say for sure who invented it, but Steve Hackett was tapping a good few years before anyone had heard of EVH. :)