Best female voice of all time

chinchu

Here are some of my favorite female voices, like it or not...

Celine Dion

Donna Summer

Whitney Houston

Koko Taylor

Please, if you're a rocker and you hate Celine Dion, please try to listen to her voice objectively... I like rock too, but I think no rocker voice matches Celine's amazing vocals...

Maybe some of you can help me with something: Months ago I heard this Gospel singer from the 60s, but I can't remember her name; She sang in a vocal group and had a really deep, husky voice; african-american of course... Does anyone know her name??? I know I'm not giving too many hints...

We did this sorta thing already and the votes decided that Janis Joplin was the greatest along with Debbie Harry and a few others. None of the women you listed made the list.

But hey don't worry, I like Stevie Nicks and she didn't make the list either as well as my other favorite Bif Naked.

We did this sorta thing already and the votes decided that Janis Joplin was the greatest along with Debbie Harry and a few others. None of the women you listed made the list.

But hey don't worry, I like Stevie Nicks and she didn't make the list either as well as my other favorite Bif Naked.

to be fair, this one was about Best Rock Female in general (not only about the voice)

but on another occasion we had the Best Voice Top Twenty

(both male and female)

:)

In my book, it will always be Tracy Nelson.

Another reason that Tracy Nelson has never been as widely acknowledged as she deserves is ironically because she did one song that was so stunning, so overwhelming, that all her other excellent work suffers by comparison. The song is, of course, Down So Low . In my estimation, this song and Tracy's performance of it is one of the staggering achievements of the rock era. Greil Marcus once wrote that in this song Tracy Nelson goes to places that Janis Joplin only dreamed about. The song is so extraordinary that the album cover reads The Best of Tracy Nelson / Mother Earth followed by the words " Featuring Down So Low ". And the entire text on the back of the CD does nothing but talk about the song. In a way, this song destroyed her career, because it is such an amazing song and performance, that everything else in anyone's career is going to be a disappointment.

An interesting footnote from Tracy herself about Down So Low

That's the first song I ever wrote. I had just had my heart broken big time ... I wrote the song about Steve Miller. He broke my heart and I wrote a really great song about it. Thanks, Steve.

And here’s another old thread.

In no particular order:

Karen Carpenter

Eva Cassidy

Anita Baker

Astrud Gilberto

Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom

Jo Stafford

Mahalia Jackson

Mary Chapin Carpenter

Nicolette Larson

Robi Kahakalau