DJ forgets to hit 'live' button

Farin

[big]DJ forgets to hit 'live' button[/big]

[smaller]Last Updated: Friday, 7 March 2008, 17:30 GMT

BBC News

Link[/smaller]

A radio DJ spent an hour talking on his breakfast show without realising that listeners could not hear him.

Andy Greener, a volunteer DJ at Radio Teesdale, forgot to press a crucial button to make his show live.

Instead of his show, listeners heard 60 minutes of music and jingles as an automated back-up system kicked in to prevent radio silence.

He was alerted to his mistake when his station manager, listening at home, tried to call in.

Peter Dixon repeatedly tried to alert his DJ to his mistake.

But the former police officer, known to listeners as Mr Andy, was too busy presenting his show to answer the phone.

Eventually, Mr Dixon got through and Greener began broadcasting again.

Media attention

"I've been involved with community radio for about four years and I've been doing this three days a week for 10 months and have never done it before," Greener told the BBC News website.

He said he felt "a bit uncomfortable" with the media attention his mistake had attracted but that any publicity for the station was "absolutely brilliant".

"I'm starting to get to the stage of being a bit sick of it all, but I look forward to getting back on the air on Monday," he said.

"After this, I don't think I'll be forgetting again", he added.

The independent station, which broadcasts to 25,000 people in rural County Durham from the market town of Barnard Castle, has a community licence to broadcast locally.

Wow!! That is somewhat funny, but how could he not know he wasn't on the air? Did he not have headphones on?

:headphones:

In our studio we have a meter in front of us on the board that bounces as we talk or music plays, but the also have an alarm that beeps like bloody hell after 2 seconds of silence. It can drive you nuts but lets you know you are off the air for whatever reason.

Haha, my friend used to be a DJ at WYCD, a country station here in Detroit. One time, whichever button he pressed for the commercials, instead would just play a jingle and go into the next song, so his whole shift there were no commercials. It wasn't his fault, but it was still funny. Until they fired him for it =/