Drug Related Songs?

highonlife

#1. You teach a "Drug Abuse" class? Or do you teach a "Prevention of Drug Abuse" class? Because I've never been to the former, but it sounds like fun.

#2. You can make an entire LIBRARY of CD's about "drug songs" in rock n' roll. I believe there's already another thread on the subject around here somewhere, but I'm too stoned to go looking for it right now. Maybe one of the other regulars can find it.

And #3. Welcome to Songfacts, Highonlife. NOW, GIMME YOUR DAMN LUNCH MONEY, NEWBIE!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :thumbsup:

Some would say that Badfinger's "Come and Get It" is about a drug pusher...

Also, there's a song on Stevie Nicks' CD Street Angel called "Kick It" that's about her kicking the drug habit.

and lest we forget... "Gold Dust Woman" off Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

If we're talking about that terrible scourge, "legal drugs," how about:

"Cigarettes, Whisky, and Wild Wild Women" by Jim Croce?

or "The Old Black Rum" by Great Big Sea?

Back to illicit drugs:

"Speedball Tucker" has a reference to "West Coast Turnarounds," aka Speed.

Locally, "Cane Fire" by The Peter Moon Band describes the panic attending an impending National Guard Green Harvest raid on a hidden Marijuana patch.

Paul Simon's "Late In The Evening" has a hero who "stepped outside to smoke a J."

:stars:

Edited by Guest
"The Candy Man"?

Take the whole "Sticky Fingers" album (Stones). Almost every song mentions drugs.

"Brown Sugar" (it´s a sort of heroin that was very popular in the seventies)

"Sway" : It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

"Wild Horses"

"Can´t you hear me knocking" : Y'all got cocaine eyes,

yeah you got speed-freak jive

"Bitch" : Yeah, you got to mix it child ,You got to fix it, must be love, It's a bitch

"Dead Flowers": I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon

"Sister Morphine"

"Moonlight Mile": When the wind blows and the rain feels cold with a head full of snow

Here are a few songs I love and fit what you are looking for....

Angel ~ Sarah McLachlan (I didn't know this was about drugs when I first heard it when it came out then I bought the album and realized it was, great song)

She Talks To Angels ~ Black Crowes (beautiful song about drug addiction)

All Night Train ~ The Allman Brothers ( Gregg wrote this about his struggles with drugs)

Journey To The Center of The Mind ~ Amboy Dukes (song about mind altering drugs, great classic rock tune)

Fall To Pieces ~ Velvet Revolver ( I don't listen to many newer artists but this song is a good tune)

Street Hassle ~ Lou Reed (being a Lou Reed fan I had to make sure this was included, he sings about seeing a friend die in front of him from heroin)

The Needle and the Spoon ~ Lynyrd Skynyrd (Ronnie wrote this one about how terrible drugs are)

Some songs that focus entirely on the negative effects of drug abuse (rather than its glamourisation / glorification, and written from the point of view of someone who knows:

In A Rut- The Ruts

H-Eyes - The Ruts

Love In Vain - The Ruts

Ruts vocalist Malcolm Owen was a heroin-user who never sought any "street-credibility" from his drug use, (unlike some), but tried to warn other young people of the dangers. He sadly died from a heroin OD after trying to get himself clean.

Squeeze did a song of that title? I have a similarly-named track by Fischer Z.

'Pretty Paracetamol you ease my aching brain....'

Definitely Fischer Z. They were far bigger in Europe than in the UK, so maybe that's where the confusion lies.

As far as I know Squeeze's only drug record was 'Black Coffee in Bed'

;)

Edited by Guest