Patrick Swayze dying??

In February, Patrick Swayze reportedly had mysterious surgery for an unnamed ailment. Now, one tabloid is reporting the worst possible news.

A month after the New York Post reported that Swayze underwent a "gastro-intestinal procedure" at Stanford University Medical Center, the National Enquirer claims that Swayze has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and that the 'Dirty Dancing' actor has five weeks to live. No other media sources have confirmed the Enquirer report at this point, nor has a Swayze rep responded.

An Enquirer source says Swayze had been undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, but the treatments did not help as planned. "It's time to start praying for a miracle," the source said about Swayze's health.

A source for blogger Perez Hilton claims otherwise. "Patrick has been at rehearsals for a new cheer leading movie at century city studio frequently lately, and he definitely does not look like he has 5 more weeks of life left…im not sure of his medical condition(s), but if he is gravely ill, he is hiding it very well," the source told the blogger.

Swayze, whose career took him to the top of Hollywood in the '80s and '90s, had two major box office hits with 'Dirty Dancing' and 'Ghost.' He also had key roles in Francis Ford Coppola's 'The Outsiders,' 'Point Break' and 'Roadhouse.'

This is sad news, if it's true. I saw some photos of him last October I think and he did seem to look not all that great, very tired looking.

Here's the article I just read, which appears to be a bit more optimistic... I had not even heard this story until now, and there it was on the headlines, and then here at SF...

Swayze Diagnosed With Pancreatic Cancer

Reuters/AOL

Posted: 2008-03-05 17:46:55

Filed Under: Movie News

LOS ANGELES (March 5) - Patrick Swayze, the actor and dancer who starred in such hit films as "Dirty Dancing" and "Ghost," has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, published reports said Wednesday.

Swayze, 55, was diagnosed with cancer more than a month ago, the New York Post reported on its Web site, citing a representative for the actor.

The Post story follows similar reports in the tabloid press.

According to the Post, the average life expectancy is six to nine months, with only 4 percent of patients live more than five years. Get More Information on Pancreatic Cancer

A statement released by Swayze's representative to TMZ says the actor is responding to treatment for the disease:

"Patrick's physician Dr. George Fisher states, 'Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far. All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue."

"We are considerably more optimistic.' Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time, which includes working on upcoming projects. The outpouring of support and concern he has already received from the public is deeply appreciated by Patrick and his family."

Swayze, 55, is best known for his role as dance instructor Johnny Castle opposite Jennifer Grey's character, infatuated teenager Frances "Baby" Houseman, in the 1987 movie musical "Dirty Dancing."

The film, which centers on an unlikely romance between the pair at a 1960s resort in the Catskills of New York, defied expectations to become a massive hit, earning both actors Golden Globe Award nominations.

Swayze performed the song "She's Like the Wind" for the movie's soundtrack and his signature line, "Nobody puts Baby in the corner," has become a pop culture staple.

"Dirty Dancing," which also featured the Oscar-winning song "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" -- remains widely popular two decades later and is replayed almost constantly on TV in the United States.

Swayze went on to star alongside Demi Moore in the 1990 tear-jerker romance "Ghost," which also became a huge box office hit and was nominated for an Academy Award for best picture.

The Texas-born Swayze, whose dancer-choreographer mother owned a Houston ballet studio, began performing at an early age and got his start in show business as a dancer and on the stage before landing film and TV roles in Hollywood.

PATRICK Swayze's mother Patsy has confirmed the Hollywood actor has cancer, but believes her son has a fighting chance against the disease.

Patsy Swayze told E! News today her son, 55, was "sick", but refuted a report in the National Enquirer that the actor had just five weeks to live.

"I don't really want to talk about it, but I know he's sick," Patsy Swayze told E! News. "But he has great doctors and a great prognosis and that's all I can say."

In a separate statement, Swayze’s doctor also downplayed the Enquirer's report.

“Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far," said Dr George Fisher.

"All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic.â€

"The outpouring of support and concern he has already received from the public is deeply appreciated by Patrick and his family,†his reps said.

According to The National Enquirer, the Ghost actor is reportedly suffering from a particularly vicious form of pancreatic cancer.

Swayze, 55, was diagnosed with cancer more than a month ago, the New York Post reported on its website today, citing a representative for the actor.

Swayze - who is a qualified pilot - has reportedly been flying his private Beechcraft aeroplane to Stanford University's highly respected cancer centre in Palo Alto, California, for radical chemotherapy.

The Enquirer quoted a source close to the star as saying: "He was told he could have two more treatments, but his cancer was not responding. In short - they held out little hope for a cure.

"It's time to start praying for a miracle."

The source said: "He looks terrible. We don't think he's going to make it. Patrick's family and friends are so grief-stricken they can barely contain their tears and anger."

Swayze - who is married to actress Lisa Niemi - has reportedly lost more than 9kg in the last few weeks, and was believed to be surviving solely on a liquid diet, the Enquirer reports.

Sufferers of pancreatic cancer typically have a survival rate of less than 5 per cent.

Swayze first shot to fame starring as bad boy Johnny Castle in the hit 1987 movie Dirty Dancing before going on to star in a host of hit films including Ghost and Point Break.

Copyright 2008 News Limited.