Ten Years After

Don't know anything much about them beyond the song 'I'd Love To Change The World'. I'm interested though, because my uncle told me that Alvin Lee of Ten Years After is his pick for greatest guitarist ever.

Was Alvin Lee really that good, and any song suggestions for me?

:grin:

Alvin Lee is a great guitarist, Katie. I agree wholeheartedly with RonJon about Alvin's guitar solo at Woodstock. IMO, it was the highlight of the whole festival.

If you like TYA, you should listen to Alvin's solo material or his work with Mylon Lefevre on the album "On The Road To Freedom".

Alvin really rocks.

Don't know anything much about them beyond the song 'I'd Love To Change The World'. I'm interested though, because my uncle told me that Alvin Lee of Ten Years After is his pick for greatest guitarist ever.

Was Alvin Lee really that good, and any song suggestions for me?

:grin:

I saw him only last year touring as support to the Edgar Winter Band. He's pretty darned good but hasn't developed as a virtuoso. Woodstock was the time when he was supposed to be the 'fastest' guitarist on earth and, in his day he probably was, but advanced 'sweep picking' and 'tapping' techniques hadn't really been discovered then and nowadays every young gunslinger on the block could out-shred him.

Still pretty darned good though and I was glad to have seen a legend from my youth.

Edgar Winter was awesome! :cool:

Having been at Woodstock, I remember hearing "goin Home" (really couldnt see the stage from where we were). But I thought "wow" as did the others around us. we all shut up and listened. at the end of the set I heard someone say "wow, that blows Hendrix away", and someone said "man, you gonna stay for Hendrix?" I heard somebody else yell "not after that". as it turned out by the time Hendrix took the stage probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the people had split. There were still alot of people there, but nothing like saturday.. I dont remember a whole lot from then, but I do remember that..

J

What I would give to have been at Woodstock. I've seen all the documentary footage, read pages of information about it, heard all the performances, but whenever I hear first hand accounts I stop, aw-struck, and realized once again, it's all about living it. You can't capture that, you can't replay that, you can't re-enact that. You had to have BEEN THERE, in the crowd, to truly "experience" the event.

Thanks for sharing your "experience" with us Jim.

Most folks seem to associate Ten Years After with "I'm going Home". While this is a cool song, it tends to hit a dull lull with the quieter "Have some fun tonight/Blue Suede Shoes" quiet part (for myself, anyways). For my money, I very much prefer their song "Woodchopper's Ball", an instrumental that scoots along reeeal nice like, without a lull of any sort. A long song, but every second sparks with life. A truly exciting song, go find "Woodchopper's Ball". Well worth the search.

Which is the Ten Years After song that goes "I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to do"

You're kidding, right?

The obvious is generally a good place to start.

Did you take a look at the first post in this thread.

- I'd Love To Change The World - is the name of Ten Years After’s biggest hit.

• 2 weeks later...