Jive talkin'

Mike

Yes, by the Bee Gee's.

I grew-up with disco music in the 70's, I couldn't help but like some of it. Like this tune. or The Hustle by Van McCoy.

I was not, however, into disco at all! But you gotta admit it, it made it's mark!! Remember KC and the Sunshine band and The Village People?

My local rock station had a show called "disco-destruction" in-which they would begin to play a disco song then suddenly pull the record needle across the grooves violently in protest...then break into a "rock-song" ...it was hilarious!!

If I had to pick a favorite, it would have to be Jive Talkin'.

Rock-on

-Mike

Mike, I am with you, disco duck. I have changed into my satin hot pants, tube top and rollerskates to celebrate the polyester genius that is the Bee Gees. My hair is feathered up to the heavens and my foot is a-tappin' to the cool boogie groove. I'm just waiting for my John Travolta in his white suit to take me for a twirl on the dance floor.

On a more serious note, I do love the Bee Gees. Their greatest talent is song writing. They have written songs for everyone from Diana Ross to Barbra Streisand. Destiny's Child even did a remake of "Emotions".

And don't even get me started on their dear, departed brother Andy Gibb. He was so beautiful I swear he guided me into early puberty in the 70s. When I hear the beginning of "I Just Want To Be Your Everything" my heart melts.

Mike, once again, you are the man. Great topic! Disco_cow.gif

I had a crush on Andy Gibb, too, but then again, I was 8. I was too young to see "Saturday Night Fever", but I owned the album (yes, album, kids, those black discs big as dinner plates with grooves in them and a hole in the middle for loading on the turntable)

I loved KC and the Sunshine band, too. "shake, shake, shake, shake, shake, shake...shake your booty"

A_Gibb.jpg

For some strange reason, I really liked Andy Gibb's Shadow Dancing.

Around the same time, Andy sang backup vocals for a couple of songs on Stephen Stills "Thoroughfare Gap" album.

Some other "disco days" favorites are:

Get Down On It by Kool And The Gang

Ring My Bell by Anita Ward

Car Wash by Rose Royce

and the unforgettable

Funkytown by Lipps, Inc.

Well, I wasn't going to bring it up :: but I LOVE the Bee Gee's - from their ballads to their disco that made John Travolta a star!

Lonely Days, which to me in reminiscent of Instant Karma by John Lennon is a great tune.

Favorite ballads:

- How Deep is Your Love

- Fanny (Be Tender With My Love) - though I hate the title

- Love So Right

- To Love Somebody

Favorite disco tunes:

- You Should Be Dancin'

- Jive Talkin'

Favorite song verse:

You are the reason for my laughter and my sorrow;

blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow.

No man on earth can stand between my love and I;

and no matter how you hurt me I will love you till I die

I have always thought that Barry Gibb was gorgeous, as was Andy (RIP)! The other two...well, Maurice (RIP) was the good looking twin, while Robin looks like Bucky Beaver.

Andy drank heavily, as did Maurice, and they both died of stomach ailments. Well actually, Maurice died during surgery of cardiac arrest. Nonetheless, do you think perhaps it was something hereditary and not alcohol related?

Yes, disco does suck. But you gotta respect the Bee Gees. Yes, they're most recognized music came out of the disco era, but a lot of people forget that they started long before the evil term 'disco' was ever uttered. They had some classic folk rock ballads like "Massachusetts", "I Started A Joke", and "New York Mining Disaster 1941". They would probably be considered 'easy listening' now, and would never be lumped into the category of 'hard rockers' but they were definitely pioneers of classic rock, and they had some pretty great tunes in the early 70's. A few that come to mind are "Lonely Days", "Edge of the Universe", "Fanny", and "Nights on Broadway". Even "Jive Talkin'", though considered disco music to some, has some great guitar work in it, as do several of their other 'disco' tunes. You gotta give these guys their props, man; they are in the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

I kinda dig Kool And The Gang. They had some awesome horns. :afro:

In the early '80's they played at Six Flags Great Adventure and I remember going to see them there...my first "concert". I had a thing for JT Taylor (lead singer).

Jungle boogie!!!! :afro:

Gotta admit, disco did suck. If you like to dance it's good,for the beat, or at least it was then. The BeeGees however are a whole other story. They were brilliant song writers, and producers.Their arrangements were unbelivable. They crossed several genres, and whether ballads, rock, or disco, they were successful. The very length of their carrer is testimony to their popularity, talent and success. Love em!

When I wrote 'Disco Sucks!' above I didn't really mean it that way. I was hoping to provoke some comments or opinions on the homophobic, racist 'Disco Sucks' movement of the 70s.

I agree that the Bee Gees were/are fantastic songwriters and their disco period is my favourite of theirs.

Hey Footy- I really did mean it. Disco, for the most part did suck. Occasional songs were all right, but as a rule-well it sucked. I am not homophobic or racist, I just know what I like in music. I graduated high school in 1975,so I know where of I speak. Lots of people loved disco. They are mostly the easy listening people of today, a group I do not belong to. I am of the rock group. Back then these two really didn't mix. I rocked then and I'm still rockin' today. :rockon:

I really enjoyed the days, or should I say, nights of disco.

Disco was more than just sitting down and listening to a song. Disco was, to me, club life. Being a young man at the time disco made it's entrance, I'd like to say that there has not been nor, most likely, ever a style of music that was so much fun and a great way to get to meet the opposite sex.

I won't bother listing my favs since the majority of posters think that disco sucked and wouldn't know the selections anyway. ::

Jive Talking was a good song but in no way the best disco song to dance to. It was a little bubble gummy to be the top DJ choice in a club, IMO. It had it's fair share of effects though and definitely had it's place during the time.

But like I said before, one can't compare disco to rock. It's an entirely different scene and one I'm glad to have experienced.

Rock-n-roll is king but nothing got the back-seat-boogie going like disco did and the Bee Gees knew a thing or three about it.

When I wrote 'Disco Sucks!' above I didn't really mean it that way. I was hoping to provoke some comments or opinions on the homophobic, racist 'Disco Sucks' movement of the 70s.

We can beg to differ on the Bee Gees - I am more intrigued by what you mean by "the homophobic, racist 'Disco Sucks' movement of the 70s." I was into Punk at the time (which also had its share of right wing fascist homophobes (e.g. Skrewdriver), so a lot of that disco pap passed me by. So, what was this homophobic/racist "Disco Sucks" movement?

[P.S. Without wishing to digress or contradict myself, I thought Chic were pretty good - especially "Le Freak"]

Martin

============================================

Hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease...

If you google 'disco sucks' you get quite a bit of information, especially about the Disco Demolition night 25 years ago.

There's a reasonable passage here if anyone's interested.

It's fairly lengthy so here are a couple of relevant paragraphs from it.

"But the real animosity between rock and disco lay in the position of the straight white male. In the rock world, he was the undisputed top, while in disco, he was subject to a radical decentering. Disco was an extended conversation between black female divas and gay men.Straight men were welcome to join the party, but only if they learned the lingo. Some did, but for many, this new demand aroused a kind of "castration anxiety," as Alice Echols put it in a 1994 essay. Disco symbolized a world where straight men were not only expected to engender the female orgasm, but to incorporate it.

Only by killing disco could rock affirm its threatened masculinity and restore the holy dyad of cold brew and undemanding sex partners. Disco bashing became a major preoccupation in 1977. At the moment when Saturday Night Fever and Studio 54 achieved zeitgeist status, rock rediscovered a rage it had been lacking since the '60s, but this time the enemy was a culture with "plastic" and "mindless" (read effeminate) musical tastes. Examined in light of the ensuing political backlash, it's clear that the slogan of this movement--"Disco Sucks!"--was the first cry of the angry white male.

The rock/disco wars might seem silly in retrospect if it weren't for the deadly seriousness with which they were waged at the time. In a 1979 end-of-year summation, Rolling Stone,the index of cultural regression, surveyed the field of battle like military strategists: "You can say that the first six months [of 1979] belonged to disco... and that the last six months belonged to the brave young rockers." The turning point was the July "Disco Demolition" rally in Chicago's Comiskey Park. The event's original gimmick involved blowing up disco records between games of a doubleheader, but the charged-up crowd lost control and began tearing up the stadium. Comiskey turned into a giant coded gay bashing, a frightening harbinger of an enraged, homophobic America, given sanction in the mock-patriotic venue of a baseball stadium."

Hey Footy- I really did mean it. Disco, for the most part did suck. Occasional songs were all right, but as a rule-well it sucked. I am not homophobic or racist, I just know what I like in music. I graduated high school in 1975,so I know where of I speak. Lots of people loved disco. They are mostly the easy listening people of today, a group I do not belong to. I am of the rock group. Back then these two really didn't mix. I rocked then and I'm still rockin' today. :rockon:

Hey Windy!

My first rock gig was the Stones in 1964!! I'm still rocking today, thank the lord and I'm 52.

My most recent gig was the Long Ryders two weeks ago and the Fun Lovin' Criminals the week before that.::