The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #105

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9. Angel Of The Morning - Merrilee Rush & The Turnabouts (1968)

This song - heard in context of the time it appeared on the charts, when sex out of wedlock was still relatively taboo - has some very compelling lyrics. Marrilee, now the door just barely cracked open for some country .... cool!

:D Play that nasty guitar, Elvin!!

Woo-freakin-Hoo!!! :rockon:

Both of my songs made it into the Ten, Elvin made it into the Ten... and I even like the rest of the Ten! I am a happy girl! :D

The concept behind "Angel of the Morning" was quite risque for it's time Ron, you're right. I think that people that were not around at that time think that it's just a sweet little song. Not so, it was pretty meaningful for that time. I'm glad it made it into the Ten, it deserves a spot. :)

Yep. Strong stuff.

Just call me angel of the morning

then slowly turn away from me.

Maybe the sun's light will be dim

and it won't matter anyhow.

If morning's echo says we've sinned,

well, it was what I wanted now.

Kind of a bittersweet, sad song. Kind of like the reality of a one night stand.

Great first experience for me in the Top 10, with both of my nominations getting in to the top 10 (#3 and #8).

But my very real life changing experience had to do with a song that I didn't nominate and did not make the top 10. In discussing "You Can Call Me Al", I mentioned in passing that Paul Simon's mother was my 3rd grade teacher. That brought up some old memories, so on a whim I decided to google my ex-teacher, only to learn that she passed away last year at the age of 97! But as a result, I did a search for my old school, P.S. 164, and found a web site for alumni. So thanks, in part to Songfacts, I've been able to link up with friends I haven't seen in 35 years.

And another P.S.; a bit of trivia, not only did Paul and Art go to the same elementary school as I did, but I learned from my school's site that another musical Paul also went there: Paul Stanley, of Kiss.

...But as a result, I did a search for my old school, P.S. 164, and found a web site for alumni. So thanks, in part to Songfacts, I've been able to link up with friends I haven't seen in 35 years.

:thumbsup:

Congrats, cyberjudge... .cool: I know how it feels, my schoolmates and I (we had not seen each other in 35 years too) met again though the web some 3 years ago. I´m having lunch with one of them tomorrow, he comes from France...

Oh, by the way... not my fave Top ten... :shades: