Rickie Lee Jones

A thread for Rickie Lee Jones is long past due, thanks to johnnyguitar for giving me the idea to start a thread for her.

I got turned on to Rickie back in high school of course with Chuck E's in Love and I was hooked. Her blend of R&B, jazz, and pop is just as cool as she comes across on stage.

I feel she is a forgotten talented singer/songwriter. Mainly because she isn't "mainstream", but then who wants to listen to mainstream? Rickie was recognized for her unique sound at the 1980 Grammys with five awards.

Being a classic rock chick I was surprised that I felt drawn to her sound, but she had that coolness about her music and I was impressed with her as a musician. I have 6 of her albums and listen to them still. With a couple of her CD's in my car. The ultimate was seeing her in concert back in the early 80's. She is just a chick singung her songs, she is there for the love of the music and she's very hip and cool. She can look almost plain at times but then she can be so beautiful on that stage.

I found this on Wiki in her bio and I feel it gives you an insight into Rickie.

Born in Chicago, Jones grew up in a family she has described as "lower-middle-class-hillbilly-hipster" in Chicago, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Arizona, and Olympia, Washington. Her grandfather, nicknamed "Peg Leg Jones," had come from a vaudeville background, and Jones has spoken of her Welsh ancestry and her gypsy heritage.

Wiki info on Rickie Lee Jones

I will be sharing her music with my daughter and hope that she feels the connection that I have felt to Rickie's music.

Here are some clips from youtube for fans of hers to take a listen or if you've never experienced the Rickie Lee Jones sound, check them out.

:beatnik:

Rickie Lee Jones videos

It's nice to have inspired something. :)

RLJ is fantastico....she's written some fantastic songs and is a terrific musician.

...is one of the saddest songs ever...and that moan she does as a car goes by is spine-tingling on the album (it pans across in stereo and evokes a bleak empty highway like nothing else).

Night Train was years ahead of its time too...awesome arrangement and superb band too.

I think she had a very dark period and drugs definitely took the shine off her creativity for a while...but a great voice. I think she was pretty gorgeous too, in a Joni kind of way, which probably didn't do her any favours due to comparisons. Her first album is a 10 star, down on the floor classic!

:D :cool:

I've been listening to her quite a bit over the past few days, and watching clips on youtube. I just love her, she is so unique and her talent is top-notch. More people need to take a listen if they've never heard Rickie sing, her voice will pull you in, and you will be hooked.

And yes she is gorgeous in her way, and I feel that comes from her soul shinning through her music.