The One

The Seeker

I've been thinking about this for quite some time now, that thought's been in my head for several years now actually... does anyone else think that for a lot of people, there's one single band who's just the "one" for them? It doesn't even have to be your favourite band, or it might take years to find it or they might drop out of favour after a few years and another band will take their place as your #1 favourite band... but there's one single band or artist who you just feel such a strong connection to which never did before, doesn't and won't ever happen with any other band.

Thoughts?

I've been thinking about R.E.M. in this capacity lately. They've been my favorite band since I was seventeen. I don't listen to them as much as I do other artists, but when I do, R.E.M. always seems fresh, even if I'm listening to an album they made twenty seven years ago, or an album they made four years ago. R.E.M. will always be my favorite band, and I am postively bursting for the new album to be here April 1.

Seeker,

Having grown up in the 60's, I was subjected to many different bands and music styles. Throughout the 60's and 70's I was influenced in so many different ways by so many different bands it would be impossible for me to name any single one of them as "the band that did it for me".

There are times when I am in situations that just remind me of a band/song that I heard from being inna simular situation before. And then there are times when no music comes to mind in certain situations. So I just cant to seem to answer to that question....

Jim

Edited by Guest

I don't know how to say this without sounding cliche, but it is The Beatles for me too. Sometimes I go for weeks without hearing them, then all of a sudden I can't get enough. I find it odd sometimes, that I could feel so strongly about a band which split up fourteen years before I was even born, but it is just the way it is.

This is a quote from the book High Fidelity by Nick Hornby about The Beatles that explains it well:

Me, I'll be playing the Beatles when I get home. Abbey Road, probably, although I'll program the CD to skip over "Something." The Beatles were bubblegum cards and Help at the Saturday morning cinema and toy plastic guitars and singing "Yellow Submarine" at the top of my voice in the back row of the coach on school trips. They belong to me, not to me and Laura, or me and Charlie, or me and Alison Ashworth, and though they'll make me feel something, they won't make me feel anything bad.
Edited by Guest

For me it's AC/DC. I got hooked on all kinds of bands when I went through my teens but everything seems to come back to them. I love alot of bands, but there's just something about AC/DC that makes me bang my head and :rockon: ... you know?

If when I finally pass away and there is reason for an autopsy, the pathologist will make his incision in my chest, peel back the muscle, and there, stamped indelibly on my heart will be kisslogo468yf7.gif

It's been there since October 31st, 1976. You can teach their lyrics to a parakeet, and they are about as musically complicated as a twinkie and I really don't care. They are my band.

I was introduced to The Beatles around age 4 and I fell in love, but then when I was around 7 my Mom played Janis. Instant love and connection, and it just stays as strong to this day. I love her for many reasons, her amazing voice, her sweetness, her sassiness, giving you her soul with every song she sings...and the list goes on. I feel not only a musical connection but an emotional one with Janis. She was always looking for that one great love...as am I.

If when I finally pass away and there is reason for an autopsy, the pathologist will make his incision in my chest, peel back the muscle, and there, stamped indelibly on my heart will be kisslogo468yf7.gif

It's been there since October 31st, 1976. You can teach their lyrics to a parakeet, and they are about as musically complicated as a twinkie and I really don't care. They are my band.

I desperately love Kiss also :grin: