Amy Winehouse

edna

Winehouse has written two albums worth of songs, "Rehab" just happens to be her most famous one. In part, this can be attributed precisely to the resonance and irony of its lyrical content, in the light of her over-publicised personal issues. Unlike many song-writers who deal either in fantasy or in cliched imagery of what life, love and lust are supposed to be like (based on vicarious rather than lived experience), Amy Winehouse chooses to root her songwriting firmly in her own experiences, for good or for ill. This is not gimmickry, but honesty. It requires courage and, because of the pitfalls of such a frank approach, only the gifted can really pull it off.

By way of analogy: Ian Curtis (of Joy Division), -who also wrote predominantly "from the heart" about his own experiences- was responsible for at least three albums worth of songs, yet is best remembered for "Love Will Tear Us Apart". I would, however, hesitate to suggest that "being suicidal" was his "gimmick".

I will be an Amy defender. She has great talent, and I wish her well in rehab. I don't see the song "Rehab" as being trashy. I hear it as kind of defiant and cheeky.

Wow, that second picture of her with less makeup and more poundage is terrific. Maybe when she cleans up, she can look a little more like her old self.

I'm HUGE a fan!! I play her CD all the time, in the car, at home after work to mellow out, when I'm housecleaning whatever! Despite her habit, in my opinion her CD it was the best of 07 and so glad they gave her her props. It offers a little jazz, blues even a little reggae. I also hope she can get a hold of herself and realize what an awesome talent she really is!

Winehouse has written two albums worth of songs, "Rehab" just happens to be her most famous one. In part, this can be attributed precisely to the resonance and irony of its lyrical content, in the light of her over-publicised personal issues. Unlike many song-writers who deal either in fantasy or in cliched imagery of what life, love and lust are supposed to be like (based on vicarious rather than lived experience), Amy Winehouse chooses to root her songwriting firmly in her own experiences, for good or for ill. This is not gimmickry, but honesty. It requires courage and, because of the pitfalls of such a frank approach, only the gifted can really pull it off.

By way of analogy: Ian Curtis (of Joy Division), -who also wrote predominantly "from the heart" about his own experiences- was responsible for at least three albums worth of songs, yet is best remembered for "Love Will Tear Us Apart". I would, however, hesitate to suggestthat "being suicidal" was his "gimmick".

Why can't the killers have a suicidal gimmick :puppyeyes:

Well it looks like you've successfully hijacked another thread and completely changed the topic. Bravo.

Eh? What are you on? This thread is about Amy Winehouse, right? I've checked through its entirety: I have contributed four posts out of 30 or so. Three of my four posts have been about Amy Winehouse and nothing else. The remaining (word-free) post was an expression of mirth at another member's wisecrack. If you call that "hijacking the thread" and "completely changing the topic", then I suggest you get a grip.