Amy Winehouse

edna

I love her. I had not felt that for a band/performer since I heard Patti Smith in 1975.

Well, sometimes I´m too passionate so I might be exagerating, but I think she´s very good.

Am I a dork or I deserve to be left on a desert island with all the Phil Collins discography?

Do some of you like her?

I've not heard any of her songs, but I hear a lot about how hopped up on dope she is from the media. Thus, I have lost all interest in this artist.

Yeah, it's what she's known for. It's not so much her doing drugs that turns me off to her; It's the fact that her entire claim to fame is being a trashy, moral-less drug addict, and what's more, people worship her for it.

Maybe I'd be able to put up with all of that if I liked her voice...

I love her. I had not felt that for a band/performer since I heard Patti Smith in 1975.

Well, sometimes I´m too passionate so I might be exagerating, but I think she´s very good.

Am I a dork or I deserve to be left on a desert island with all the Phil Collins discography?

Do some of you like her?

I love her too and wish she'd play out some of her fading decadence at my house . :popcorn: :)

When I was told to listen to her I said sure, can't decide without listening. I liked her voice, very soulful and the kind of sound I enjoy. Then I wanted to know more about her, well that was the last time I listened to her, and not really because of drugs but because she is just so trashy. And then when she did the radio interview and took a piece of glass and began to cut her stomach during the interview...come on this chick is wacked out big time. And it seems as if she doesn't want to straighten her life out. If she does all this to get attention that is sad, her voice is enough to get her attention in the right way. If she ever cleans up her act and gets clean and sober I would consider listening to her again, but now I just can't, she is so far in that black hole of self destruction I won't listen. I sometimes think she likes the mess she's in, which is truly sad.

it's not really my type of music, but I certainly don't mind listening to her...

she does have a great voice

Rehab

You know I'm no good

Her voice is good, but it's the accompanying music which really gives her that extra push. I'm listening to the second song as I type this and it's definitely the music which I like. I don't think I'd buy her albums, though, for the same reason: I'm not into that style of music.

Back to Black was definitely my album of last year....awesome stuff. She might cream up...it certainly looked like she would a few weeks ago...but what a talent. If she ends up a 'Janis' of the 21st century then so be it...she's already left some wonderful music!

I hope she cleans up and ends up doing cabaret...but, somehow, I doubt it!

:(

If she ends up a 'Janis' of the 21st century then so be it...

She is so not even close to Janis. I hate we she gets compared to Janis. Yeah Janis did some major drugs but she wasn't trashy and just a freak like Amy. Why Janis OD, who knows...she had been clean and sober for 6 months before that night. Even though she was clean and sober Janis still hung out with the same crowd of people. And Amy is doing the same, mainly her husband. Two addicts does not make a healthy home.

Sadly, it is probably because Janis had been clean for so long that she OD'd. That is the terrible paradox of 'cleanliness'....one slip and, because you have lost your 'tolerance' built up over years of abuse...your chances of surviving an OD go down.

I like to keep my tolerance levels up.... :D

Amy is bound to be compared to all the sadly wasted talents over the last 100 years. They are comparing her to Billie Holliday over here! Luckily, she does have the talent to be reasonably compared with the best...I just hope she lasts long enough to leave a decent legacy. She isn't quite unique at the moment....but she yet might be!

Jx

I hate to break up the party, but I don't really like her. Her whole gimmick of being trashy...eh....

Her "being trashy" is not a "gimmick": it's a symptom of the personal troubles she has been experiencing for the last couple of years. It may surprise some of you that she did actually exist as a performing and recording artist before the fantastic "Back To Black" album propelled her onto the international stage. Her debut album "Frank" did very well over here and was critically acclaimed, though, for me only hinted at the brilliance of which she is demonstrably capable. At that time, she was a feisty yet quite chirpy individual, and a picture of good health.

She aint dead yet, and I, for one, hope she can make it through her personal hell, and prove to the doubters the immensity of her talent. There are many "young soul divas" around nowadays; the genre is over-crowded with banal, "soul-lite" imitators, with too few originators. Amy is streets ahead of the lot of'em, if she can just pull herself together.

I know this if off topic, but being the Janis fan I am, I've always wondered why and how she got the heroin that night and was she alone when she OD?

Once you´re in -even after getting out- you don´t need a reason to get a fix, you always know where to get that fix and you don´t need to be with someone to shoot that fix... It´s very common that, after a month or two or more, you get a bit nostalgic and want to remember that feeling...