Help With Songs From 1987

Tenacious_Peaches

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell're you talking about,'guitar? "Not a single one on those bands is from that era"??? Utter piffle and poppycock! Granted, some are bands one might associate more with the late 70s ( P.Furs, Ramones) or early 80s (New Order, Love & Rockets), but by far the majority are bands who were either peaking/approaching their peak, or quietly announcing themselves to the world around that time: eg, Husker Du, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, Happy Mondays, etc.

Get your facts straight before you go ridiculing others, sunshine. :mad:

Oh-ho-ho. PWNED :rockon:

Yeah, 1987 isn't any year from 1979 to 1983, but it's still preferrable to anything today. Hell, I'll gladly listen to the whole Cutting Crew Broadcast album over most of the vomitous drivel smelling up the airwaves nowadays :cool:

Peaking? They were all on the skids by then. I saw Sonic Youth in 1989 and they were dreadful.

Oh, you're such a hip dude. I suppose you also saw Public Enemy that year and found them to be (casually inspects fingernails) "just a'ight, y'know?".

Sirrah, if you do not deem the incomparable Sonic Youth, (whose EVOL album, released in 1986 is the one of the best in my comprehensive music collection), a worthy alternative to the distasteful dross listed elsewhere, and are so oblivious of the musical and lyrical qualities of The Smiths as to smugly celebrate their demise, you are neither fish nor fowl, and I fear we have nothing more to say to one another. Consider yourself excised from my Christmas card list forthwith.

An oddly solipsistic stance, if I may be allowed the observation. So, you only send cards to those who share your predilections? I consider myself blessed to be removed from your circle. Wasn't it Groucho Marx who said he wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have him?

:D

Edited by Guest

An oddly solipsistic stance, if I may be allowed the observation. So, you only send cards to those who share your predilections?
You may be allowed the observation, if it pleases you. Of course I don't send cards only to those who share my predilections. I exchange cards and pleasantries with people of many and varied tastes; some with even worse judgement than your own. 'Twas naught but a throwaway line, which I found oddly amusing at the time.

I consider myself blessed to be removed from your circle.

You'd give your eye-teeth to be in my circle, and you know it.

Edited by Guest

BA: I have conversed with mr guitar a number of times over the last couple of years, and have still not fathomed his choice of a Sex Pistols avatar, since he is evidently no bigger a fan of the Pistols than you are. Maybe it is a manifestation of Irony In Action. I've always tended to think of it more as a pathetic attempt to ingratiate himself with "the cool crowd". Or to get into my trousers. Or something like that.

You do have that effect :beatnik:

I need a good avatar.

brb

If BF ever saw the Sex Pistols (and I doubt it) he would know that I speak with considerable authority on the era...I remember the days when BF affected to not know what an avatar was, let alone become embroiled in a debate about the relative coolness of said feature.

Having said that, I am reminded of the old saw 'If you remember the 60's...you weren't really there'. There are several gigs of the 80's for which my sole evidence that I was in attendance is the ticket I have framed above my computer. In truth, although I remember Mudhoney with some fondness and SY as an aural cacophany (is there any other sort?)...I haven't a clue whether they were any good or not...I was wrecked!

Doesn't mean I'm not going to offer an opinion though.

:D:D

If BF ever saw the Sex Pistols (and I doubt it) he would know that I speak with considerable authority on the era...

An excellent example of a bizarre non-sequitur, johnnyg.

You're right about me not seeing the Pistols when it really mattered. Born in 1965, I was only twelve when they were at the height of their powers. They split in 1978, you know?

I did see them, however, in 1996 at the Pheonix Festival, so your statement is both nonsensical and technically inaccurate. Well done! ;)

You "speak with considerable authority on the era", do you? Well, I wish you'd get on with it, because I haven't seen any evidence of this. I do recall you once telling me that the Pistols played at your University back in the day, but you didn't attend. (Too busy romancing some hippy-dippy airhead with a penchant for your pseudo-mystical poetry, or somesuch). You had it in the palm of your hand, but let it slip through your fingers, (to your eternal regret, I suspect).

I remember the days when BF affected to not know what an avatar was, let alone become embroiled in a debate about the relative coolness of said feature.

Point of order: I did not "affect to not know what an avatar was". As a newcomer to the Internet, I simply did not know what an avatar was; nor, once it was explained to me, how to procure one for myself. Hence I ended up with a Simpsons avatar, (which I didn't realise, having never watched an episode of The Simpsons: I was just attracted to the image), on account it was the only one I could get to work. Did you come about a Sex Pistols avatar in roughly the same way, having neither seen the band nor purchased their records? Or did you choose to affect some "punk rock cool", despite having none? Pray do tell: I'm genuinely interested. :P

Pray do tell: I'm genuinely interested.

No you're not...you're just trying to humiliate me. :D

So, your knowledge of Punk is a scholarly one...not having been a sentient being at the time...or just an onlooker?

Billy Idol gobbed on me when I saw Chelsea play at the Underground. It was at that point I divested myself (literally, :D as well as metaphorically ) of the suggestion that Punk represented anything other than a fashion statement. I still think 'Dancing With Myself' is a good tune. The Pistol's best tune was an old Monkees cover (and I was a founder member of the UK Monkees fan club...aged 10 :P ).

I saw the Sex Pistols getting out of a van to go to a gig. I could have seen the gig. Me? I was off to shag an impressionable teenager. I still think I made the right decision. (and I still love her!).

Music's just music...it either moves you or it don't. I know you are fond of the social and political deconstruction of such phenomena...and you do it very well...but sometimes its just more fun to admit that we like some stuff...and we don't care quite so much for other stuff...and, that's about it, really.

I chose my avatar purely to provoke you.

Oh, how quickly we forget!

Edited by Guest

Well, there's that and my initial - and correct - assessment you like a band whose songs really really suck :beatnik:

There's your trouble...as the Dixie Chicks would have it...you can't separate the song from the singer. You don't like the idea of the Pistols...or you don't like one of their songs...or you were being rogered over a barrel by an 8 foot tattoed Haiitian gaol master, when you first heard them...or you are just an immature twazzock (tick the correct box) so you can't hear...or be bothered to hear any of their other stuff.

Consequently...for you, all their stuff is crap. It's not...just most of it!

From concept to execution, the sux pistols suck. You get all misty-eyed over their sucky music - and that's okay. Eventually, some folks will begin to ovulate when they recall ashley simpson. Let it be known, that whether it be 1977 or 1987, the sux pistols sucked like nobody had sucked up to then; totally pants. This is a fact. DEAL :rockon:

From concept to execution, the sux pistols suck. You get all misty-eyed over their sucky music - and that's okay. Eventually, some folks will begin to ovulate when they recall ashley simpson. Let it be known, that whether it be 1977 or 1987, the sux pistols sucked like nobody had sucked up to then; totally pants. This is a fact. DEAL :rockon:

I look forward to BF's quiet and measured response to this calumny.

:D:D:D:D

I have long since gathered that Bitter Almonds is "not a big fan of the Pistols", a conviction that will not be withered by even the most robust of arguments. We've "been there, done that" and, dare I say, perhaps even agreed to differ. It's hardly worth arguing the toss, and frankly, I have better things to do with my life than pursue the "The Sex Pistols: were they any good or not?" debate again, particularly with one who evidently isn't going to budge.