Tell Me About Grand Funk Railroad

_Laurie_

I use to listen to these guys in the 70's, but I heard some even earlier stuff from '69...I never realized that they went back that far...I don't really know too much about them, but I've heard some amazing songs today from their earlier years...I loved it...so tell me what you know..I'd love to hear your thoughts, stories, opinions, etc...... :)

I guess having M privlages enables you to rearrange the posting order, do have the power to figure out why all my info IE: name, password, and other info are gone from out the main board. And now they are asking for info than I am not willing to give out to re-join. I cant do anything with any of the posts I made out there. ButI did put a few GFR posts up if ya wanna go look around. This website is starting to feel more and more unsecure everday... I may just back on outta here.

Jim

Edited by Guest

I guess having M privlages enables you to rearrange the posting order, do have the power to figure out why all my info IE: name, password, and other info are gone from out the main board. And now they are asking for info than I am willing to give out to re-join. I cant do anything with any of the posts I made out there. ButI did put a few GFR posts up if ya wanna go look around. This website is starting to feel more and more unsecure everday... I may just back on outta here.

Jim

Hey Jim :) The main site and the forums are 'separate entities' so to speak. The same username and password works for both, but logging into the boards doesn't imply logging into the main. You have to re-login there... no need to create a new account or rejoin.

^ that's if I understand you correctly.

I knew that, but I used diff names and PW's in both. The name and PW from in here dont work out there. The name and PW from out there dissapeared. And now they want everything but my shoe size to be able to change the PW. I did manage to get the name back (I think)... Anyway its a pain in the as*....

Edited by Guest

Hey Jim.

I agree it can be a pain loggin in to both places. If you need some help with your main account, send me a PT and I can check it out for you.

As for Grand Funk, we interviewed their drummer Don Brewer a few years back. That guy has some serious energy and gave me the impression that they had a great deal of fun. Check out the Songfacts for We're An American Band and some of the other G-Funk songs to get an idea.

I remember, back in early 70's, when I bought We're an American Band album. It was solid gold and you could see right through it. The album cover was a fold-out which contained inside a picture of the band, naked . . . each holding a little American flag.

They had a wonderful run as well as tore the hotel down.

Mean-while back to the original topic:

GFR formed in Flint, MI. in early 69, as a 3 piece power band. Heavely influenced by rock and soul. The first album "On Time" was released Aug of 69, and the second, "Grand Funk" in Dec of 69.

Prior to the albums being realesed, the band was present at the Jun of 69 Atlanta Pop Festival. Where they'er manager (Terry Knight (i think)) convinced the promotors to let them perform. They were an unsigned act, but played anyway. They were the opening act and made such a hit, they were also brought back on to close the show.

The 3rd album "Grand Funk Live" was recorded in Jun of 70. The picture on cover was taken at the 69 Atlanta Fest, But all the recordings on the album were compiled from various venues in Florida. The album was released in Nov of 70.

Thats the early years in a nut shell.

Hope thats answers your question about the earlier material.

Jim

GFR was the first and only band to sell out Shea Stadium for a music gig faster than the Beatles AND generate more gate money in doing so. In fact they sold out that 57.000 seat stadium twice in three nights in the summer of 1971.

People still talk about those special nights in NYC.

(soft stewardess-type voice) Please turn up your speakers now.

i bought grand funk live about a week ago, and then went to my friends house and forgot it there. anyways he left for his house in the mountains for the week end and took the album with him, i called him to see if he could give me back the c.d but it turns out he lost it. ime so sad i didnt even get the chance to listen to it all only the first 2 songs