Fantasy Baseball 2008: SF 4 & IV

Kevin

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well , stand by and check in here occasionally , Laurie . We still haven't decided yet what we will do for certain . As I stated before , we may run two leagues then ; one free and one pay if we can get enough players for each .

Thanks for checking the MLB game, too ,Lucky . Personally , I don't like the following feature , though , compared with the Yahoo! set up:

Getting the entire pitching staff of one team : Pitching ,IMO , is one of the main and perhaps most important daily managerial choices a player makes and needs to keep an eye on throughout the season . Batters , more often than not , stay in place daily unless they have a day off , are injured or are slumping . So taking away the decisions of when and who to start , along without having some choice of various other pitchers , simplifies the game a bit too much for me , as well as handicapping those having a weaker team's staff - and few options to improve it . I feel this would simply up the luck factor and decease a players choices in the balance of what makes up a team's success.

BTW: Carl is also going to play and is open to the head to head league .

Hmmm . Just thought of something today that may make my above comments moot . I am uncertain whether the same innings/games used rules apply in the head to head game style , as I haven't played it before myself . I'm assuming that they do , but can anyone who has played it or knows something about it help me out here ?

In the ones I've played in the past, there is usually a MINIMUM INNINGS PITCHED rule. If you don't reach the required number of innings for that week (usually around 20-27 or so, depending on the Commish), then you receive no pitching stats for the week. It's usually not hard to reach the minimum, unless your pitching staff gets totally decimated (or if you have guys like Josh Towers, Kyle Lohse and Phil Hughes).

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester:

:doh: :blush: :laughing: :angel: :rockon:

Good news ! Sorry for wasting everyone's time ( I think ) with all this talk about a pay league . While goofing around searching for head to head rules , I ended up back at the Yahoo! baseball page and while fooling around there found that we CAN infact play head-to-head for free ... as Sammy stated earlier. Doh ! - but in a good way, as this simplifies alot of things for everyone ! :cool:

----------------

Here is an overview of the rules- feel free to comment , ask questions or criticize :

Head-to-Head Leagues

--------------------

In a Head-to-Head League, your team will square off in a weekly matchup against another manager's team to see who can compile the best stats across a number of different categories.

A new weekly matchup begins every Monday and will consist of a set number of games based on your league's statistical categories. Each stat category counts as one game, with the win going to the team that finishes the week with the highest total in that category (the cumulative total after each Sunday's games).

So, if in a given week, your team hits more home runs than your opponent's, you would be credited with a victory. However, if your opponent's team ended the week with more saves than your team, you would be charged with a loss. If the two teams end up tied in a given category, each will receive credit for a tied game.

This weekly win-loss total will be added to a cumulative season record, which will be used to determine standings and playoff seedings. These standings will be based on your team's overall winning percentage, which is calculated by taking your win total and adding 1/2 of your tie total and dividing the sum by the total number of games your team has played.

Head-to-head scoring is available in both Public and Custom Leagues. All Public Leagues use the same default settings, while Custom League commissioners will be able to specify a number of settings, including roster size and stat categories.

( we would be a Custom League )

---------------------------------

All in all,strategically , this seems to me to be just a different way to count points than we are used to . Generally , one would still , likely, try to put together the best possible team they can , as before , with the exception of trying to improve their teams specifically in those categories ( base stealing , saves , home runs , etc. ) where they are weaker than others , as there aren't as many categories that count toward a win .

Also , from what I read , there no longer are inning /game maximums so it would be important to keep a closer eye on your roster throughout the season and keep all active positions as busy as possible. There will be a 'minimum innings pitched' though , which each player will need to be sure they reach for the week or all pitching categories are automatically lost to the opponent .

---------------------------

Edited by Guest

Just out of curiosity , then ; is anyone interested in playing in a points league ( like last year ) as well , or is just setting up a single head-to-head league enough ?

The reason I ask is that by committing to the head-to-head league , the members must be willing to play competitively day and week in and out for 6 months ( late Mar. -Sept ), or it won't be very fun nor balanced for the other members as we need to match up against each other . Of course , everyone will miss a few days or be preoccupied with other things occasionally , but if you foresee extended holidays in the future , or that your interest in this game or baseball in general could wane to the point that you are not around much or may wish to drop out , etc. - but still want to give it a try - then I would suggest playing in the points league , as it suits this type of player better and has less impact on the league and other players as a whole. However,of course, the more frequent the attention paid to the points league usually improves a player's ranking as well . On average , for both leagues , about 5 -10 minutes a day is required; often less , but occasionally more if your team needs some serious repair or improvements .

Give some thought to your particular situation and I'll post a sign up sheet in another post which you can just copy and add your name to . I'll then set up the league(s) . We would need at least 6 members in each , otherwise it wouldn't be very feasible to play .

We will (99.999% sure ) have pitching staffs as we did before- a mixed bag . A signifigant difference will be that rather than worrying about overusing your pitchers , you must be sure that your staff pitch enough to count points for you that week .

Also , the way we count points will be different . For example , if we count Wins , Saves , Strikeouts , and ERAs , and this was the result after a week :

Team A : W=3 ,S =4, SO=22 , ERA=3.48 ( 23 Innings pitched )

Team B : W=2 ,S= 4 ,SO= 25, ERA=2.96 ( 19 Innings pitched )

Team A will get 1 win , 1 tie , and 2 losses . Team B will get 2 wins , 1 tie , 1 loss . However , if the minimum innings pitched for a week was set for 20 , though , then Team B didn't make it and would receive 4 losses and Team A would get 4 wins regardless of the actual results . Get it ? :D

Ok , as the head to head league has enough support , I've gone ahead and set it up . We won't draft for awhile though so that everyone can have enough time to get a look at the new scoring categories , check out the draft list, ask questions about this new system , etc. So, go ahead and sign up when you're ready , and you'll be able to see everything for yourself .

As this is a new game system for most of us , there may still be a few slight modifications made , but I'll post them here , if and when there are any . The season begins Mar.24 this year with a couple of games in Tokyo that week , so I'm hoping all can be registered by the 15th ( or before ) , as per usual .

League name : Songfactors 4

Password : Carl

League ID# : 159462

With apologies to Kev and everyone I'm afraid I will not be participating this season. I'd love nothing more than to join in the kicking of Sammy's hiney but I'm just not going to have the time. I'll miss it and I'll count on you all to keep me posted on the season.

Sorry to hear that , Joe . If you do change your mind , though , you know where we'll be . Another situation may occur that may suit you better , though : if we end up with an odd number of players , we will need a dummy team to sign up so that we can play . As in football , if that team was casually looked after from time to time ( injuries , etc. ) that would be cool and really help us out . Interested ?

Again , this would only be needed if we end up with an odd # of teams ... :)