Fantasy Baseball 2008: SF 4 & IV

Kevin

Hey all ,

A bit early but not enough to nose around to see who wants to play this year .

Question #1 : Same style of league as before

Question #2 : Head-to-head league , more like Football where you take on some one for a week and win or lose for a week ( must do some more study on this though ... )

Edited by Guest
Title edited

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll warn you now not to get into it if it is just a momentary fancy : this game , to win , requires nearly daily observation and analysis- at least a few minutes - AND luck . If you still wanna play , you're welcome , and you'll get tips and instruction .

Sammy's in! And since no sport has had a four-peat in recent memory, I'm planning to make this the year.

EDIT: And I thought UncleJoe would be my main competition once again (I really fear that dude). But it appears he's poofing out and leaving it wide open for a fourth straight title.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest

I must be a glutton for punishment, but I'll play. I've gotten a bit better each year, but I'm sure I still stink. At least I can round out the league. Prepare to be reminded frequently who is the 2007 Football Champ. It's my only claim to fame! ;)

The head to head thing sounds interesting by the way.

Great to see some early interest ! One disappointing thing , though , is that it appears that in order to play head-to-head ( which includes post season play for the top dogs , Joe ) , we have to cough up $25 bucks each ( it is a Custom League option only ) or find a way to split the cost of $125 for a league ( up to 20 players ), in order to reduce the fee- and IF ,and only if, people are willing to pay to play . This fee includes all the features available to Fantasy Baseball , though , such as instant stat-tracker . I don't mind paying the fee , even the whole $25, personally, as it is for ~ 6 months of play, but it may cool other's interest .

Another possible option would be to run 2 leagues ; with experienced and/or interested players in the pay league and all others who want to play in a free league as well ... ?!? You could play in both ( I would ) , if you wished to. I certainly don't want to exclude anyone who'd like to play , if at all possible . However , if either league had only a couple of players in it , it likely wouldn't be very fun or workable , I think . Shoot out your thoughts, ideas or suggestions , please .

Custom League play options :

Points- See Description

Head to Head - Points See Description

Head to Head - One Win See Description

Traditional Rotisserie (4x4) See Description

Triple Crown See Description

Home Run Derby See Description

Pitcher's Duel See Description

Hall of Shame See Description

-----------

For free play , as we have done in the past , we are limited to these options :

Points- See Description

Traditional Rotisserie (4x4) See Description

Triple Crown See Description

Home Run Derby See Description

Pitcher's Duel See Description

Hall of Shame See Description

---------------

You can check out what these different play styles are at http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

Click on 'Create League' / : look at both the yellow box ( custom ) and the blue box ( free play ) , then 'other popular league set ups' . You should then see one of the above lists . Click 'see description' for info on how to play each style . Don

't go any further , though , such as signing up until we come to an agreement about what to do yet .

Just a little more food for thought today re: the custom league/ head-to head play :

If all persons who currently have shown some interest in playing were to choose this option ( and I'll take the liberty of adding Carl ) , we have 9 , which would make the cost per player ~ $13.90 . Joe and I have paid $10.00 the last 2 seasons for the stat-tracker alone ... and I'll likely purchase it again were we to opt for the free league only as I like to see my team's results in real time - but that's just me , perhaps.

Also , for CanAm and Seeker's benefit , the custom league is not any more difficult to play than the free league- just a bit different. In the free league ( that we have played for 3 seasons now ) , one's team generates daily points which are totaled over the season and one winner takes all based on point total . In the head-to-head , each week you are matched against another player and if your point total for the week is greater , you get a win ( and temporary bragging rights ) and he/she gets a loss .There are playoffs at the end for the best win/loss record players and whoever comes out of that is the winner - more like professional baseball .

-----------------

Just something to think about and discuss as we have plenty of time still before we have to make some decisions. :D

I'll check into this ,RJ - thanks for that. Like Sammy , I was a bit surprised to see head to head ( I haven't tried it either, but it seems the same as football from what I've seen ) was a pay-to-play now , but checking back a few times on Yahoo! Fantasy Sports , I don't think I'm wrong now ... DO prove me wrong though on this , folks , if you can .

RJ , just checked into your MLB suggestion and while it does resemble Yahoo!'s version in many ways , it seems to have some key differences; mainly that it is a contest with a $10,000 grand prize along with other lesser prizes . Here are a few others that I noted :

1. Only US and Canadian residents can play ( from what I read at first , but more likely just to be eligible to win prizes ).

2. It appears to require 12 players for each league.

3. One's league seems to be part of a larger contest put on by MLB where prizes are given out to the best teams.

4. If you wish to be able to trade within your league , your league can continue but is out of the contest.

5. A team gets the entire pitching staff of an MLB team rather than individual pitchers . I'm assuming it's like getting the entire defense in the football game .

6. Along with a pitching staff , you manage only 9 other players , making it easier for new members, certainly .

7. It is free to play .

As we have time still , I'll keep looking around at other options, as well . If anyone else has a suggestion , let us know . I think a number of companies are putting out Fantasy games now .

Also, again, can anyone else confirm for me that I am correct about Yahoo!'s head to head version being a pay-to-play ? I still can't see a free option, but I'm glad to see the price ( subject to a bit of change , possibly, for better or worse, depending on how many sign up ) hasn't put most of you off trying the head-to-head version , yet . Thanks for the quick responses and being frank about that ! :thumbsup:

From what I read, it seems the "only US residents" rule applies to the contest only, not the actual play. The contest is cool, but how important is it? We've played without a contest all along. Simply attempting to sign up should answer any questions.

Everything else seems to closely resemble the Fantasy Football set up to me.