best producers

Batman

normally I don't care much about producers...

could be because I don't know how large their influence is when it comes to making a great record.

can a good producer make a great song or album from a mediocre band?

does a great band have no chance when they only have a mediocre producer?

could be because I don't know how large their influence is when it comes to making a great record.

can a good producer make a great song or album from a mediocre band?

It's shocking what a decent producer can make out of zero talent. Not saying anything good, but a hit...

Anyhoo...

Jon Brion

Butch Vig

Ric Ocasek (because the first Weezer album sounds amazing)

Um, George Martin

Personally, I don't give a whole helluva lot of credit to producers. I give the credit to the artists that write the music. The producers just somewhat tweek the music that's already been written.

Therefore, I can only pick the producers of what I feel are some of the best albums and bands.

Some of my favorites are:

Jimmy Miller

Jimmy Page

Todd Rundgren

Mutt Lange

Glyn Johns

Kit Lambert

The Glimmer Twins

and, of course.....Ray Davies

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Well, in my original post, I guess I forgot to specify hip hop producers, since that's what I was referring to. I guess this topic can be about rock producers too though. But I really think that hip hop producers have a lot more to do with the music than rock producers. Rock producers usually just refine the sound, while rap producers have to make a beat as well.

I don't know how they do that "thread-merging" stuff, but here is at least one previous thread of similar title & theme:

http://forum.songfacts.com/showtopic.php?tid/27699/fromsearch/1/hl/plank/tp/0/all/1/

Click here

...just like the youtube links... :)

You can quote my post if you want to see how it is... but it´s very easy, bf...

Roy Thomas Baker - Queen

Gus Dudgeon - Elton John

Tony Visconti - Bowie and T-Rex

George Martin - The Beatles

These gentlemen worked with many artists other than those I listed. The artists shown are the ones where I first noted the work of these producers. I did a wiki search on each one of them and the body of work was incredible. They truly had a major influence on the shape of rock and roll.

p.s. Tony Visconti plays a thundering bass for the Gods on Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World" album.

Well, in my original post, I guess I forgot to specify hip hop producers, since that's what I was referring to. I guess this topic can be about rock producers too though. But I really think that hip hop producers have a lot more to do with the music than rock producers. Rock producers usually just refine the sound, while rap producers have to make a beat as well.

Batman, Adrian Sherwood is not a hip-hop producer; his extensive body of work is predominantly in the reggae/dub field. However, I think if you have any inclination for dub-style reggae whatsoever, and dig adventurous forays into dub/hip-hop/dub/acid-jazz/dub/funk/dub/sublime headf**k-type experimentation, you would probably appreciate much of the stuff he has produced and released on his On-U Sound label.

Adrian Sherwood. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Recommended:

Lee "Scratch" Perry / Dub Syndicate: "Time Boom X De Devil Dead" (On-U Sound)

Dub Syndicate: "Stoned Immaculate"(On-U Sound)

Dub Syndicate: "Strike The Balance" (On-U Sound)

African Head Charge: "Songs Of Praise" (On-U Sound)

African Head Charge: "Off The Beaten Track" (On-U Sound)

Singers And Players: "Staggering Heights" (On-U Sound)

As the Wikipedia blurb suggests, the On-U Sound sampler volumes "Pay It All Back" are an excellent starting point for an introduction to Adrian Sherwood's productions with a whole gamut of On-U Sounds recording artists, but also provide a pretty good "foot in the door" into the world of dub.

The "giants" of dub are Lee "Scratch" Perry , and King Tubby; both of these have absolutely massive discographies. It would take a greater expert than me to suggest "the best" from "the rest", but they do demand checking out. There are quite a few pretty good King Tubby collections to be had, at very reasonable prices. Well, there are here in the UK at least.

It's worth checking out the works of prominent dub producers.

Mad Professor, and Scientist (whose wonderful "Scientist Rids The World Of The Evil Curse Of The Vampires" I am listening to as I write).

As Wiki points out: "In the 1990s and beyond, dub has been influenced by- and in turn influenced- techno, jungle, dubstep, drum and bass, house music, trip hop, ambient music, and hip hop, with many electronic dub or dubtronica tracks, as well as Ambient dub, produced by nontraditional musicians from these other genres."

This is why it's such an exciting genre, with unlimited potential.