Grammy Thoughts

Carl

Please post your thoughts on the 2008 Grammy Awards here. Here are some of my ramblings:

The "Lifetime Acheivement" awards don't mean much when you talk about the artist for 60 seconds and then quickly move on to something else. How about 1 per show, and let it breathe. I was happy to see The Band being honored, but a few moments later there was an odd interpretive dance going on to some Beatles songs.

Will Alicia Keys ever become overexposed, or is she just too darn likeable?

I spoke with someone today who was deeply disturbed by John Mayer's facial contortions.

That girl who played with the Foo Fighters was a ringer, but even Hannibal Lechter wouldn't be able to hear her specific violin in an outdoor orchestra.

"Before He Cheats" was released in 2005. I didn't need to hear it again, but I really liked the Stomp arrangement. Yeah, I thought it was clever that they were beating up cars for percussion.

Carole King gave some Songfacts before introducing Feist. She said something like: "This is a song about teenage hopes."

Whatever Will.I.Am did near the end was baffling. The audience looked confused too, and I saw someone texting when they swept a camera by.

Stevie Wonder doesn't use a TelePrompTer, yet he managed to give the best introduction of the night - to Alicia Keys. He sang part of "No One," and I wanted to hear him do the whole thing. He's the artist I'd most like to see pull a Santana revival.

The Grammys always feature excellent innovative performances, yet album of the year always goes to some stalwhart performer:confused:.

I liked Carrie Underwood and Beyonce and Tina. Damn, Tina just gets better and better and looks dang fine for 102. :laughing:

But I was slightly confused by The Beatles tribute. They kept billing it as a tribute to Sgt. Pepper, but then a choir sang Let It Be from, uh, let's see... Let It Be, not Sgt. Pepper.

I think the whole car thing was supposed to represent the death of John's mother Julia in a car accident. What a cheery way to celebrate the finest music had to offer for 2007!

In any respectable music awards ceremony, the best electronic/dance album award would have created debate over whether it would be Justice's cross album or LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver, but the grammys gave it to a sub-par Chemical Brothers album. I mean, I like the Chemical Brothers, but they haven't really mattered since the 90's.

Also, I like how a famous jazz pianist of the 70's beat Kanye for album of the year. I can't say I've heard anything by Herbie Hancock since Headhunters, but Kanye's ego could use some bruising. If his latest album had a different name attached to it, nobody would care about it. Although I must say, he has done some great producing, his rapping is just plain lazy.

Also, I like how Feist was nominated for best new artist even though her debut album (which featured a hit song) was released in 2003.

Anyways, I just found this out by reading the results. I don't think I've ever met someone who takes the grammys seriously. I mean, the only people who would consider the Foo Fighters new album to be one of the best of 2007 are the people who don't follow or listen to modern music.

"I think the Grammys are nothing more than some gigantic promotional machine for the music industry. They cater to a low intellect and they feed the masses. They don't honor the arts or the artist for what he created. It's the music business celebrating itself. That's basically what it's all about."

Maynard James Keenan (Tool)

Yeah, I couldn't understand the Sgt. Pepper commercial for the Grammys. I was thinking, "Is Paul and Ringo going to do a reunion?" Anyways, I could care less about award shows in general since I can find out who wins the day after online, but I didn't like most of the artists nominated this year.

I do believe Eddie Vedder was nominated for something?

To paraphrase a line from one of the finest teenage comedies of our time, "10 Things I Hate About You", I know you can be overwhelmed and I know you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed? :grin:

I love me some Alicia Keys, but she may need to step out of the room for a minute before the world gets sick of her.

What really ground my gears and fried my bacon was Love winning the best compilation soundtrack award over Once. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, we get it...The Beatles are the end all be all. But criminy, Once is so utterly amazing and gorgeous and heartbreaking and full of everything music should be. The soundtrack was the movie and the movie was the soundtrack. Why give a Grammy to what is basically a DJ Skribble remix from Oldies Night at the VFW instead of a soundtrack that really deserved it?

Damn the man.

Jimmy crack corn and I don't care about the rest of it.

I've been disappointed with The Grammys for years now so I don't watch. I never really did, I would tape them and zip through the crap leaving about 30 to 40 minutes worth of watchable material. And now with the internet, just get the highlights of what you care to see online. IMO, the show just isn't about the music...more the glam and glitz and crap in between...just my opinion.