The Songfactors' Choice: GIRLS GONE WILD!

Lucky

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great call, Levis!

I have the single with her version of "Teen Spirit". You tend to think it's one of those songs that shouldn't be touched - and sure, enough some who tried really oughtn't have- but Tori's interpretation is superb.

Her "Best Of" is on my short-list of possibilities to purchase with my remaining HMV vouchers.

It reminds me of something Penn and Teller (well, Penn. Teller doesn't talk) said. "Candle In The Wind by Sir Elton John is the best selling song of all time. Popular sure don't mean right..."

"Candle in the Wind"... what a shame... :P He wrote a song for Marylin Monroe and then, some 20 and something years later, he released the same song -he just changed some lines- for Lady Diana... He could have written a new one... :P

There's only a few women of the last half of the 20th century that are truly vocalists.

One of them is k.d.lang.

The first half of her career she rose to meteoric heights with songs like Black Coffee off her third album Shadowland .

Her next album Absolute Torch and Twang

yield these gems

Pullin' Back the Reins

and

Willie Nelson's Three Days (temporary audio file)

She is an exceptional vocalist.

Wow, this was harder than I thought picking two female artists. So many great contenders. I went through a number of bands and solo artists to find my nominations.

Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth) - The bassist and singer for Sonic Youth has so much energy to give during live performances. She's so jumpy.

Sonic_Youth_live_20050707.jpg

Kate Pierson (The B-52's) - Her and Cindy go great vocally together in the B-52's. She still looks and sounds awesome after all these years.

alice_11.jpg

Others who almost made my list:

Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads)

Feist

Cindy Wilson (The B-52's)

Courtney Love (Hole)

Actually Ken, you've already nominated 2 artists (that's the limit), so, unfortunately we can't count her as a nomination. Not by you anyway, but someone else can surely pick her up! ;)

I completely agree however, I love that song, it surely is a classic. Admit it though.... half the reason you wanted to include her is that you wanted to post that picture.... even I have to admit, she was one hot babe! :googly:

Actually Ken, you've already nominated 2 artists (that's the limit), so, unfortunately we can't count her as a nomination. Not by you anyway, but someone else can surely pick her up! ;)

I completely agree however, I love that song, it surely is a classic. Admit it though.... half the reason you wanted to include her is that you wanted to post that picture.... even I have to admit, she was one hot babe! :googly:

Ha-ha Kenny, neener, neener, neeeeeener.

I'm going to second ryansgirl nomination of this artist!

lizphairha5.jpg

I like several of her songs, she rocks, she's Liz Phair!

Lest anyone should not remember my noms, here's a little kick for you...

Linda's soaring soprano in one of her most beautiful songs.. She went from country to pop, was one of the first females touring when she began with only Maria Muldaur and Emmylou Harrison also touring.

Linda Ronstadt cleared the path for people like Stevie Nicks to do her thing, and she should be recognized for it.

My other nomination, Patty Smyth, is just a bundled up mess of musical energy. Her voice is very emotional and unique, and her music is alluring. I love the style. And she has several songs that helped take me through a very rough patch of my life, bless her.

Hands Tied

I wanna nominate Bif Naked but I have a hard time getting the photobucket thing to work :frown:

She's an excellent poet and singer that goes right up there with any punk or rock singer. And she's got a very strong look to her, as though she could kick anybody's butt, yet she can carry herself in a way that's so intriguing it's sexy.

If I'd have gotten here sooner, my top choices would have been the Wilson sisters from Heart, and The Runaways or Patti Smith. Tough decision, so I'm glad you guys took care of it for me :grin:

Here's another one anyway:

The Donnas

4donnas.jpg

Strutter - The Donnas

Fall Behind Me - The Donnas

And their myspace page, with songs off the new album is HERE.

They're just a straight up rock n' roll band, no frills. They've been largely ignored by the mainstream, but they've stuck at it and are kind of the modern day Runaways.

I think we have a double nomination Shawna I also nominated Linda Ronstadt :crazy:

I missed you nomanting her. I will nominate someone else k? But I'll still vote for Linda :thumbsup:

I saw this, then sort of forgot about it. I'm glad that you have worked it out so easily! Yes, Lea, to answer your question, Cher is still available.... and she is on hold for you!

Thanks to everybody for all the really great nominations, by the way. I don't know how we'll choose 5 from these.... we may need a round two! ;)