The Songfactors' Choice: GIRLS GONE WILD!

Lucky

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to nominate Melissa Etheridge. Just listen to songs like "Bring Me Some Water", "Similar Features", "I'm The Only One" and "Like The Way I Do" to hear raw emotion set to music. She writes her own music, plays guitar and kicked breast cancer's butt!

My second nomination stands a little less of a chance, but what the heck: Pink. I know she's not regarded as much because she's mostly in the pop genre, but she has a powerful voice which can, and has, sung rock, pop and R&B. Some of her best tracks, IMO, are "Family Portrait", "Just Like A Pill" and "Who Knew". Then again, almost any track on her "I'm Not Dead" album rocks in my book.

Edited by Guest

thanks everybody for the great nominations we already have :coolio:

Ann & Nancy Wilson (Heart)

Annie Lennox

Aretha Franklin

Björk

Carly Simon

Carole King

Chrissie Hynde

Deborah Harry

Ella Fitzgerald

Grace Slick

Janis Joplin

Joni Mitchell

Joss Stone

Kim Deal

Linda Ronstadt

Melissa Etheridge

Nikki Blonsky

Norah Jones

Pat Benatar

Patsy Cline

Patti Smith

Patty Smyth

Petula Clark

Pink

Poly Styrene

Runaways, The

Shirley Manson

Siouxsie Sioux

Stevie Nicks

Suzanne Vega

Tina Turner

Wendy O. Williams

:)

keep 'em coming

:popcorn:

I might have nominated PJ Harvey, but then I remembered how she alienated the UK Riot Grrrl movement, by distancing herself from its "feminist" stance, stating that she preferred to be judged in her own right as an artist, alongside male artists, rather than be seen as a "token female". She really didn't want to be seen as one of these "Women In Rock" figures, and I respect that view. ;)

Also, by the time I'd finished the Siouxsie post, it was after midnight, and I really couldn't face another two hours of "research" (Youtubing), cutting/pasting, phrasing the blurb, etc. required for another artist of similar stature, so I opted for someone who could be dealt with quicker. Nobody will vote for my nomination #2- whoever I'd chosen- in any case.

Stevie Nicks to win! ;):P

I hope you mean that. :beady:

It's a subversion of the anarchist cliche/slogan "Whoever You Vote For, The Government Always Wins", but tailored for the SongFacts clientele, and my projection of the poll outcome.

"Whoever You Nominate, Stevie Nicks Wins"

A(sort of) joke, on my part. A pretty feeble one, I'll grant you. ;)

No, as soon as I saw the nomination, I thought the same thing. It's like.... whenever you see a top 100 guitarist list you can usually bet the top 1 and 2 spots are occupied by Hendrix or Page. It reminds me of something Penn and Teller (well, Penn. Teller doesn't talk) said. "Candle In The Wind by Sir Elton John is the best selling song of all time. Popular sure don't mean right..."

I've never saw a top "anything" I've ever liked or agreed with. To me it's like, what's your favorite weather? There might be one day I appreciate the sunshine, another appreciate the rain, gets pretty boring to stick with one favorite all the time. I'm not that certain anymore, I'm no good staying in one position anymore, my feet go to sleep.

By the way, I appreciate more of the "most under-rated________" these are more fun.

No, as soon as I saw the nomination, I thought the same thing. It's like.... whenever you see a top 100 guitarist list you can usually bet the top 1 and 2 spots are occupied by Hendrix or Page. It reminds me of something Penn and Teller (well, Penn. Teller doesn't talk) said. "Candle In The Wind by Sir Elton John is the best selling song of all time. Popular sure don't mean right..."

Popular may not mean right, but it does mean important. Like her or not (I'm not picking on Stevie, I like her, I'm just using her for an example), you have to admit, in the 70's and 80's she had a huge impact on popular music. There is something about her that made her one of the most popular artists of that time, hence, she's an important artist, that did have a huge impact of the music of the day.

How about a slide-guitar-playing blues woman?

bonnie.jpg

From rockhall.com:

When Bonnie Raitt won a phenomenal four Grammys in 1990, it came as overdue recognition for an artist who had been breaking down barriers of gender and genre since the early Seventies. Her feel for the blues was evident on her first album, Bonnie Raitt (1971), and though she’s explored different kinds of material over the years - including pop, rock and balladry - a serious rooting in the blues has remained evident in her work. Raised in Los Angeles by her actor father John and pianist mother Marjorie, Raitt took up guitar at age 12. While attending college in Boston, she gravitated to the Cambridge folk-blues scene of the late Sixties. She emerged as both a prodigy and anomaly: a young woman who sang blues with gritty passion and played slide guitar with authority, as if the genre’s fundaments had been etched in her soul.

Raitt was schooled by and performed alongside such estimable legends as Sippie Wallace, Mississippi Fred McDowell and Son House. Throughout her career, she’s combined an old-school country-blues grounding with a contemporary outlook and willingness to experiment. She recorded eight albums for Warner Bros. Records from 1971 to 1986, progressively moving from straight blues into more pop-oriented areas without losing sight of her roots. All the while, she selected tunes by the choicest songwriters (e.g., Randy Newman, John Prine, Eric Kaz, Allen Toussaint and Jackson Browne) while working with the cream of Southern California musicians, including members of Little Feat. By the mid-Seventies, she’d accrued a loyal and growing following on the strength of such albums as Streetlights (1974) and Home Plate (1975). The commercial pinnacle of Raitt’s tenure with Warner Bros. Records was Sweet Forgiveness (1977), which yielded a near-hit in her cover of Del Shannon’s “Runaway.â€

Her graduation from respected cult figure to major artist occurred after her move to Capitol Records. Raitt’s breakthrough album, Nick of Time (1989), slowly gained momentum, reaching the top of the chart exactly a year after its release--and a month after Raitt won the aforementioned batch of Grammys. On that memorable evening, Raitt put her awards in selfless perspective: “It means so much for the kind of music that we do,†she said. “It means that those of us who do rhythm & blues are going to get a chance again.†Indeed, the followup album Luck of the Draw fared even better than Nick of Time, selling 5 million copies and winning three more Grammys. It also gave Raitt the first bonafide hit single of her 20-year career in “Something to Talk About,†which reached #5. Subsequent albums have included Luck of the Draw (1994), the double-live CD Road Tested (1995) and Fundamental (1998).

There's a lengthier bio on her site: http://www.bonnieraitt.com/bio.php

I see what you're driving at, and I don't disagree, but "Candle In The Wind", whether the biggest selling single of all-time, is not important. Not even slightly.

Anyway , I digress.

I'd just like to clarify that I make no criticism of Stevie Nicks, on any front whatsoever. I would hate it if my earlier throwaway remark were misconstrued as a vehicle for "anti-Stevie" sentiment. I have already done enough in this thread to inadvertantly derail another candidate's campaign.

My comment was naught but a prediction, based on awareness of the membership demographic and previous voting patterns, that Stevie will probably fare strongly at the poll-booth, especially in comparison to my own relatively futile nominations.