The Songfactors' Choice: GIRLS GONE WILD!

Lucky

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised no one has nominated Pat Benatar. I love her and am thrilled to have the pleasure of adding her.

pat.jpg

Pat Benatar (born Patricia Mae Andrzejewski on 10 January 1953) is an influential four time Grammy Award winning US rock singer with many million and multimillion selling records worldwide. Benatar was one of the top female rockers of the 1980s and early 1990s.

She was Rolling Stone magazine's "Favorite Female Vocalist" twice. Benatar was inducted into the Long Island Music Hall of Fame in 2007.

I will have to think about my #2.

Linda Ronstadt

RS276Linda-Ronstadt-Rolling-Stone-n.jpg

From Wikipedia:

Linda Maria Ronstadt (born July 15, 1946 in Tucson, Arizona) is an American popular vocalist and entertainer who has earned multiple Grammy Awards, an Emmy Award, numerous United States and internationally certified gold, platinum and multiplatinum albums, a Tony Award and Golden Globe nominations. A singer-songwriter and record producer, she is better known as a definitive interpreter of songs.

Another lady with a fantastic voice.

I was just going to suggest Shirley Manson.

We haven't nominated-

Dusty Springfield

Dionne Warwick

Sandie Shaw

Jackie De Shannon

Brenda Lee

Connie Francis

Suzi Quatro--I should be slapped for that one!

Cher

Rita Coolidge

Gladys Knight

Roberta Flack

Liz Phair

Aimee Mann

Alanis Morissette

Sarah McLachlan

Francoise Hardy

Claudine Longet

and that's all I can think of now.

I was just going to suggest Shirley Manson.

We haven't nominated-

Dusty Springfield

Dionne Warwick

Sandie Shaw

Jackie De Shannon

Brenda Lee

Connie Francis

Suzi Quatro--I should be slapped for that one!

Cher

Rita Coolidge

Gladys Knight

Roberta Flack

Liz Phair

Alanis Morissette

Sarah McLachlan

Francoise Hardy

Claudine Longet

and that's all I can think of now.

we also haven't nominated yet:

PJ Harvey

Annie Lennox

Nina Hagen

Lene Lovich

Kim Gordon

Siouxsie Sioux

Skin

Nina Persson

Karen O

a couple great newcomers like

Feist

Kate Nash

Wallis Bird

Amy Winehouse

Katie Melua

Edited by Guest

Siouxsie Sioux

First coming to public recognition as the teenage girl whose ironic flirtation with a TV presenter sparked the notorious "Bill Grundy Incident" which propelled the Sex Pistols onto the front pages of the UK newspapers, Siouxsie Sioux might easily have remained nothing more than a peripheral novelty figure, with a music career as short-lived as the first wave of UK punk-rock. However, over 20 UK Top 40 chart singles for Siouxsie And The Banshees over a 17 year period, a dozen chart albums - not including "Hits Collections" - a further three hit singles and five albums with side-project The Creatures , and a recent critically-acclaimed solo album, "Manta Ray", tell a very different story.

As one of the artists frequently cited as defining the "post-punk" genre, Siouxsie's striking style (both sartorial and vocal) spawned a host of imitators, and she is oft credited (if that is the right word) with being the prototype "Goth-female". As such she became something of an icon, but was also sufficient of a visionary to shrug off the limitations of the post-punk /goth straitjacket: despite their great number, no two Siouxsie And The Banshees albums are alike, showing distinct thematic and musical evolution throughout the bands 20+ year history. Although initially fuelled by the energy of punk -their early material sounding occasionally harsh, metallic or claustrophobic- Siouxsie and her Banshees never shied from fusing their experimental/"arty" leanings with a pop sensibility, which recognised their appreciation of 60s psychedelia and 70s glam. (In this respect, a comparison could be made with their contemporaries and near-neighbours The Cure, who were hugely influenced by The Banshees and Siouxsie, in particular) Even debut single, "Hong Kong Garden" (1978), is ridiculously catchy.

In the early/mid 1980s, when the UK music scene decayed to a morass of brash, taste-free pop slime, Siouxsie And The Banshees were one of relatively few bands/artists to shine beacon-like through the putrid fug. They transcended the vapid decadence of that grotesque era, crafting artful music which could appeal on both physical and intellectual levels, which was commercial, yet not crassly so.

Yes: Siouxsie was herself rendered almost instantly iconic by the the proliferation of "punk-girl imitators" around the cusp of the 80s, but her influence has been far more diverse than anyone could possibly have foreseen at the time. One might reasonably expect the likes of (the immensely-talented) PJ Harvey, (the less-talented) Shirley Manson ("I learned how to sing listening to The Scream and Kaleidoscope.") et al to doff their metaphorical caps in homage, but, apart from the aforementioned The Cure, Siouxsie's admirers/influencees include:

Morrissey: "None of them are as good as Siouxsie and the Banshees at full pelt. That's not dusty nostalgia, that's fact."

Dave Navarro: "there are so many similar threads : melody, use of sound, attitude, sex-appeal. I always saw Jane's Addiction as the masculine Siouxsie & the Banshees."

Ana Matronic of Scissor Sisters: said at the 2005 Brit awards that she wouldn't be a singer without Siouxsie. She also stated in Metro that the Banshees is her all time favourite band.

LCD Soundsystem

Tricky

Massive Attack,

The Cocteau Twins,

To be honest, the list is endless.

A chronological (partial) history in video

"Hong Kong Garden"

"Happy House"

"Christine"

"Israel"

"Spellbound"

"Fireworks"

"Slowdive"

"Melt"

"Dear Prudence"

"Swimming Horses"

"Cities In Dust"

"This Wheel's On Fire"

"Peek-A-Boo"

"O Baby"

A selection of nice photos would look great here, but I'm inept at that sort of thing. :(

Poly Styrene of X Ray Spex

Poly Styrene ,teenaged, brace-teethed, part-Somalian vocalist/lyricist of X-Ray Spex , who bowed out after gracing us with only one album "Germ Free Adolescents" . But what an album! In my humble opinion, you can set aside your Sex Pistols, Clash , Damned, Ramones- all the supposed "leading lights" of the punk-rock movement- in your search for the best, (most Zeitgeist-epitomising) punk album, because it's actually this one. No bull.

It has been suggested that Poly Styrene may have been the original Rrrriot-Girrrrrl, specifically on account of her penning the anthemic "Oh Bondage, Up Yours!". As well as having one of the most distinctive vocal styles of the time (of all-time?), she was a precociously articulate lyricist, noted particularly for her critiques of contemporary consumerism.

Excerpt from Wiki:

X-Ray Spex's other distinctive musical element was Poly Styrene's voice, which has been variously described as "effervescently discordant" and "powerful enough to drill holes through sheet metal". Born in 1957 in Brixton, of Somali-English parentage, Poly Styrene became the group's public face, and remains one of the most memorable front-women to emerge from the punk movement. Not conventionally attractive, she wore thick braces on her teeth and once stated that "I said that I wasn't a sex symbol and that if anybody tried to make me one I'd shave my head tomorrow"... ...Mark Paytress recounts in the liner notes for the 2002 compilation, The Anthology, that Jah Wobble, Rotten's longtime friend and bassist for his post-punk venture PiL, once described Styrene as a "strange girl who often talked of hallucinating. She freaked John out." Rotten, known more for his outspoken dislike of things than actual praise and admiration, recently said of X-Ray Spex in a retrospective punk documentary, "Them, they came out with a sound and attitude and a whole energy - it was just not relating to anything around it - superb."

"The Day The World Turned Day-Glo"

"Identity"

"Oh Bondage, Up Yours!"

"Germ-Free Adolescents"

"I Am A Poseur" "I Am A Poseur"

A brief interview , followed by a live rendition of "Genetic Engineering"

Whilst on tour with X Ray Spex, Poly Styrene had a religious experience, which allegedly involved the sighting of UFOs, and ultimately caused her to turn her back on rock music and become an acolyte of Hare Krishna. Apparently this epiphanous occurence took place in Doncaster, the northern English town of my upbringing. This minor titbit merely serves to weld the unique and wonderful Poly a little more cohesively to my heart.

Pics plz, German guy. ;)

BGR-23.jpg

polyspx1og4.jpg

Edited by Guest
can you see her now?

In the days before Courtney, there were the original Girls Gone Wild....

The Runaways...

I find it easier to provide a link to the band's Wiki page than to cut/paste.

runaways1976ta3.jpg The 'Joan' in the photo is Joan Jett, as many probably knew.... And Lita is Lita Ford.

The Runaways

The Runaways - "Cherry Bomb"

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ken, you have the music-magic. I think your nomination rules brutha!