The Songfactors' Choice: GIRLS GONE WILD!

Lucky

:laughing: No offense, but that comment amuses me. Janis and Dusty were young when they sang their songs, so surely somebody young could come along that has the talent to sing Janis and Dusty songs? In fact, it would probably be more surprising to see somebody old successfully belting out Janis and Dusty songs, wouldn't it?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me nominate Norah Jones

norah.jpg

Wikipage

I have her album 'Feels like home' and I think it's very beatifull and relaxing, she's not really a girl gone wild but she makes very nice and open music to listen to. And there's her soft and tender voice that could make you drift away with the music...

She didn't won all those grammy's for no reason ;)

I don't mind it either. I've got nothing against her at all, (but I wouldn't mind having something ;) ). It's just that I feel like she doesn't really stand for anything, apart from "impressive precocity". However well she sings, the (music) world is neither a better nor worse place for her existence in it.

This is all just personal sentiment; anybody is welcome to tell me to "shove it".

As for any other suggestions; well yes, I have a few, (maybe). Who is to say whether these would be "better"? Whether I'll bother or not, I don't know.

I recently heard Joss Stone described as "an empty vessel for pouring soul-like gestures into".

Sure she can sing- and does it well- but can she yet be compared to the many genuinely creative and ground-breaking female artists, some of whom have been mentioned here?

I for one do, she has an amazing voice and she is also a songwriter, so she is young, everyone listed here was young and some died young. Doesn't make them any less talented. I know you're expressing your opinion here b-f and I love you dearly, but I don't find it cool to put down someones nom. You don't like her, don't vote for her, just as easy as that, no biggie. We all have our likes and dislikes in music but need we express our dislikes to a fellow SF's nom?? Ok now let me have it....I'm in the mood for a fight! :D

In the beginning...

The textbook for female vocalists had a paragraph for the first lady of jazz - Ella Fitzgerald

:bow:

ella.jpg

Her career really took off after the record label Verve was formed just to release her recordings.

One of my favorite cuts by Ella isn't on youtube. So I have to use audio.

Just One of Those Things

Ella used the same philosophy as Frank Sinatra. The golden age of songwriting was back in first half of the the 20th century. She mined the vaults of the songwriters to give a fresh, new interpretation to gems written from 1920-1960.

She followed Sinatra's example in establishing a concept album. But she took different songwriters / lyricists and made a whole album of their songs, like Cole Porter

250px-ColePorterSongbook.jpg

Rodgers and Hart

Ira and George Gershwin

Johnny Mercer

Jimmy Van Heusen

AGAIN, youtube does not have the track I WANT that sets Ella apart from the crowd...

so I have to use a temporary audio file

Come Rain or Come Shine

:cool:

:laughing: No offense, but that comment amuses me. Janis and Dusty were young when they sang their songs, so surely somebody young could come along that has the talent to sing Janis and Dusty songs? In fact, it would probably be more surprising to see somebody old successfully belting out Janis and Dusty songs, wouldn't it?

Yes they were Tim, but look at the quality of their voices and the unique sound of both Janis and Dusty. Some have covered songs from both women and have sounded like...well not so great. Joss has that soul edge to her with the bluesy feeling felt in her songs also.

And Melissa Etheridge has covered Janis tunes and kicked azz...she isn't all that young! (in her 40's) :D

I'd like to nominate a voice that dominated the airways in the 60's, she has a style and grace that just captivates the listener. From the first time I heard "Downtown", I was hooked. May I introduce the lovely - Petula Clark

petulaclarkzk7.jpg

I recently saw the film Hairspray, I'm not a big fan of musicals, well, except Sound of music, but it's a classic. Julie Andrews is like a second mom to me, I swear, she's awesome! Oh, and Paint Your Wagon, Clint singing... who doesn't love paint Your Wagon? But I digress.

In Hairspray, this chick... Nikki Blonsky has a set of pipes that are incredible, WOW... I'll watch the film over and over just to hear her sing. My second nomination is for this wonderful and exceptional vocalist.

hairsprayfn6.jpg