The Songfactors' Choice: GIRLS GONE WILD!

Lucky

WELCOME TO THE SONGFACTOR'S CHOICE: GIRLS GONE WILD!

made you click, didn't we? :D

*ALL MEMBERS OF SONGFACTS ARE CORDIALLY INVITED TO PARTICIPATE * Please join us, and share your knowledge and your love of the thing that keeps SONGFACTS the community we all know and love. MUSIC ! The basic guidelines are simple....

* The Songfactors' Music of Choice will be decided by your nominations and votes. For each edition we'll ask that you nominate 1 OR 2 selections that meet the guidelines for that edition.

* With each nomination, we'll ask that you give us a review, a few thoughts or just a description of how your selection makes you feel. No one is being graded on their writing here. What we want is for you to share your knowledge and feelings about the music you love.

* Each edition will about 3 weeks. At the end of that time, we'll ask you to vote. You know how that works! These lists will number 5, so we'll ask that you compile your list of 5 choices for the final Songfactor's Music of Choice. We will tally them, just like The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten, 1 through 5. At the close of voting, we will have our Songfactors' Music of Choice.

* Be as creative with this as you'd like. We want to encourage an exchange of thoughts, so this will be a place to learn about and enjoy the nominations, as well as the final choices. The guidelines will change with each edition.

....So, Welcome To.....

THE SONGFACTORS' CHOICE: GIRLS GONE WILD!!

**For this month, we want to know, which female artists are your favorites? Which women, in your opinion, have put their indelible stamp on modern music, either through their voice, their songwriting style, or their musicianship? We're talking solo artists, front ladies, all female rock bands, and so forth. There are so many women that have been influential to rock music, who are your favorites? Use whatever you wish to illustrate that, be it albums, songs, performances, etc. Be creative! A side note: There are no restrictions to this, as far as years, genres, etc. The choice is totally yours, the subject is wide open (no pun intended!)

PLEASE, GIVE US YOUR NOMINATIONS NOW! :thumbsup:

:headphones:

Edited by Guest
unstick

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm first! :)

bjorkwithlaceoe4.jpg

[big]Björk[/big]*

Björk Guðmundsdóttir [ˈpjÅ“rÌ¥k ˈkvÊðmÊntsËŒtoÊŠhtɪr] (born November 21, 1965) is an Icelandic singer-songwriter, composer, actress and music producer. She has been nominated for 13 Grammy Awards, an Academy Award and two Golden Globe awards (including one for acting).

She is best known for her expressive vocals and an interest in many kinds of music, including pop, alternative rock, jazz, ambient music, electronica, and folk, as well as her eccentric costumes.

Her record label, One Little Indian, reported in 2003 that she had sold more than 15 million albums worldwide. She was ranked #36 on VH1's "The 100 Greatest Women in Rock and Roll" and #8 on MTV's "22 Greatest Voices in Music".

most important albums:

200pxbjork2cdebutalbumcsb4.jpg

Debut

Human Behaviour

Venus as a Boy

200pxbjorkhomogenicalbuen1.jpg

Homogenic

Bachelorette

All is Full of Love

200pxbjorkvespertinemy6.jpg

Vespertine

Hidden Place

Pagan Poetry

:headphones:

:hippie:

[smaller]* rhymes with "jerk"[/smaller]

Joni Mitchell - She had a perfect combination of voice, look and songwriting magic that made her perfect for the times. Although she didn't attend Woodstock, she wrote the song that became a CSNY classic. She also wrote Both Side Now for Judy Collins. Her Court and Spark album made her a mainstream talent...but she never really took the bait and remains an under appreciated talent. Her song "River" has become a Christmas Classic.

The Wilson Sisters (Heart)- Oh the feeling these ladies brought out in a young teen's jeans...and soul. Ann and Nancy Wilson started out of the Seattle area and headed for stardom. These girls proved that hard rock wasn't just a boys club. Their combination of hard rock tunes packaged in the shell of two hot sisters was a smash. Their album Dreamboat Annie launched them into the upper level of touring rock bands. That album brought us the rock classics Magic Man and Crazy on You. Led Zep was their main influence.

Kim Deal- Bassist and backing vocalist for Pixies. In case you didn't know, that makes her really cool.

Kim_Deal_Tsongas_Arena_2004-12-01.png

and what about her being the frontwoman of the Breeders? not worth a mention? ;)

she also had some funny aliases/stage names like "Mrs. John Murphy" and "Tammy Ampersand" (as in Tammy Ampersand & the Amps)

:)

Shannon I was just going to do the same thing... ;)

I'd like to add Stevie Nicks. If anyone has a better grasp of the whole "photobucket" thing a pic would be greatly appreaciated.

And there just may be a beer or 3 in it for ya! :wink:

:laughing:

i45975mxvup.jpg

Crystal Visions - The Very Best of Stevie Nicks

All these artists are great, and I don't know who I'll end up voting for. But long before any of these great female artists could be honored, THIS woman blazed the trail for them all to follow....

patsy77c.jpg

PATSY CLINE

I don't know if everyone is aware of the contributions that Ms Cline has made to popular music, and to women in music, and all before the age of 30, when she tragically died. Not just to Country Music either. Patsy Cline has been voted #11 of the 100 Greatest Women in Rock & Roll. Take just a moment to read some of her story here at wiki:

Patsy Cline

51RAVGH16JL_SS500_.jpg

About Patsy's original Greatest Hits album, released in 1967, wiki says this:

One of the most heard Country Music albums of all time, Patsy Cline’s Greatest Hits, has sold 10 million copies worldwide since its 1967 release. Bob Ludwig remastered the set, and it has been reissued in its original cover art. In 2005, the album Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits was certified by the RIAA as Diamond (designating the sale of 10 million). That same year, the album was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for staying on the overall music charts the longest of any female artist of any music genre in history.

1- Patti Smith - She broke it all.

2- Carole King - Obvious

patti20smith20horseswl9.jpg

"Gloria" - Patti Smith

She was the first punk woman and she had that "charme de la décadence" which made her an icon. Rock wasn´t the same after 1975 for girls.

kingcarole1yr6.jpg

"It´s Too Late" - Carole King

Although she seemed a bit square, she was the greatest among the lady songwriters. She´s a bit of history.

Grace Slick- Incredible voice, great looks (back in the day, anyway), what more could you want?

Passion_pop_selfcontrol07.JPG

Tim, in any case, you know that Grace Slick -though I don´t think she´s really such a creative girl, but she´s still my favorite :cool: - wil always be my #1... :thumbsup:

It will be hard... Carly Simon, Debbie Harry, Chryssie Hynde...

TinaTurner.jpg

Tina Turner should be on this list.....That woman can rock, and she's got the voice for it too....Here she is singing one of my favorites with Ike....Proud Mary.

Proud Mary

joss_stone_b.jpg

My second nomination is Joss Stone....Ever since my daughter bought one of her albums a couple years ago, I loved it!....Great voice......she covers some of the classic rock songs that I love, and her current songs the younger generation absolutely love.....This girl can sing....here's one of my favorite covers... Dusty Springfield's(who should also be nominated, hopefully) Son Of A Preacher Man...

Son Of A Preacher Man

Cry Baby/Piece Of My Heart .... Joss with Melissa at The Grammys