2008 Presidential Election

Mike

The difference between demo-rats and Repuke-licans is...

Rep's sit around a large table breaking bread with the wealthy and powerful and occasionally throw us a few crumbs.

Dem's sit around a large table breaking bread with the wealthy and powerful and tell us they want the crumbs back.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of states vote today, Farin. It is referred to as Super Tuesday and can make or break a candidates campaign.

I got a recorded phone call last night from my local congressman reminding me that even though I am registered independent, I can still vote today. I will go tonight, and like Joe, I will declare Democrat so I can vote for Obama.

A lot of states vote today, Farin. It is referred to as Super Tuesday and can make or break a candidates campaign.

I got a recorded phone call last night from my local congressman reminding me that even though I am registered independent, I can still vote today. I will go tonight, and like Joe, I will declare Democrat so I can vote for Obama.

yes, I know - that's why I asked ;) :grin:

btw, have I ever told you that you have the most confusing/complicated voting system I know?

I hear it's much simpler in China.

Seriously, it's really easy. Each of the 50 United States have Primary Elections at various times during the Presidential Election Year. The purpose is to choose one nominee from each political party to run for president. (The various states will sometimes include local issues for voters). It's up to the individual State to decide when to hold these elections but they must be held a certain number of days prior to the parties' national conventions.

Each State represents a number of Electoral Votes (this varies from State to State depending upon population/representatives in Congress). In most states when a candidate wins the popular Primary vote then those electoral votes are committed to the candidate at the party's national convention to announce the Presidential candidte for that party. A few states divide the electoral votes among all candidates who received a certain percentage of the popular vote.

Then in November we will have one presidential candidate from each party from which to choose.

I mean, what could be simpler?

Edited by Guest

I hear it's much simpler in China.

Seriously, it's really easy. Each of the 50 United States have Primary Elections at various times during the Presidential Election Year. The purpose is to choose one nominee from each political party to run for president. (The various states will sometimes include local issues for voters). It's up to the individual State to decide when to hold these elections but they must be held a certain number of days prior to the parties' national conventions.

Each State represents a number of Electoral Votes (this varies from State to State depending upon population/representatives in Congress). In most states when a candidate wins the popular Primary vote then those electoral votes are committed to the candidate at the party's national convention to announce the Presidential candidte for that party. A few states divide the electoral votes among all candidates who received a certain percentage of the popular vote.

Then in November we will have one presidential candidate from each party from which to choose.

I mean, what could be simpler?

:grin: :grin:

a couple weeks before the vote I get a postcard from the county (where my residence is located) that I'm allowed to vote...

on that day I'll take that card to the election office, get a slip of paper, make two crosses (one for the party and one for the county's representative) and... that was it...

;)

America´s system for vote is quite complicated... :P I get a letter from mon Consul Général de France and on the elections day I go to the Consulate, take a paper, put it into an enveloppe and put it into a box. Then at night we watch TV and we say things like "Sacrébleu!" or "Oh là là!" when our candidate is losing.

Et voilà! character0242.gif

America´s system for vote is quite complicated... :P I get a letter from mon Consul Général de France and on the elections day I go to the Consulate, take a paper, put it into an enveloppe and put it into a box. Then at night we watch TV and we say things like "Sacrébleu!" or "Oh là là!" when our candidate is losing.

Et voilà! character0242.gif

I love Elena :laughing: :bow: :laughing: :grin:

A registered Democrat here....I've always wanted a woman president, but it's going to be Obama for me. I think that Republicans may as well resign themselves to a Democrat for President. The chance of either the first woamn, or the first black (and a shot at Camelot?) is just too big for any of the Republicans to fight, IMO.

My poling place is directly accross the street from my house in my neighbors garage. They already think I am a little off, so I did not mind voting in my pajamas.

:laughing: That's what I want to see.... a cop, voting in the neighbors' garage, in his jammies! Sorry Marc, that's just too funny! :D

Huckabee wins the West Virginia Republican convention!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080205/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_rdp

I like Huckabee, I'm in a minority.

I am more anti Hillary like so many people have been anti Bush. Bush endorsed her once, the best think he can do is continue to stump for her.