49 Years Ago Tonight

Ken

Hi Tony. The avatar is the internationally recognized SCUBA dive flag. When seen on the water, it signals boaters to remain back 100 feet as, like Van Halen says, "Diver Down". I'm an avid diver.

As for any great Buddy Holly starting selections, my favorites are "Raining In My Heart", "Rave On", and "Crying, Waiting, Hoping".

Have a great night.

Ken.

What's really interesting is in our day, Buddy Holly is not nearly as appreciated by the average modern artist or fan. He was quite a musical genius. His arrangements and timing are exquisite. Although his life was short, thanks to his brilliance and speed of creation we are left with a lot of songs that gave birth to so many more. His influence from 1958 onto the the next 20 years in staggering and phenomenal!

"Cryin', Waitin', Hopin'", legend has it, was the last song he performed at the Surf Ballroom before he got on the plane. Marshall Crenshaw did a stellar performance as Holly in La Bamba. As for Mike's suggestion of "Rave On", I LOVE that little 'hiccup-y' thing he does at the beginning of the song...

I sang Peggy Sue and Everyday onstage in grade school a few months after the tragedy. I don't know where I found the balls to do that.

Statements like this along with the avatar you've chosen is why we never get the endorsement of the 700 club Joe. :D