The Problem With Music

Farin

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually sidestep arguements, but after witnessing this ridiculous display, I must say some people need to get over their damn selves.

Who cares if anybody likes the Killers? Or any other band or artist for that matter? Like who you want to like. Don't slam other people for their tastes. If you don't like a particular band, don't make some one else feel horrible for doing so.

We try to be nice here. I like The Killers. Just let people be who they be.

I couldn't give three drops of monkey urine about The Killers, but the d*ck swinging up in this piece is getting a bit old. I say this as someone who has loved Bitter Almonds in all of his incarnations and as someone who has newly found love with Mr. Baloni because of our shared obsession with Dudeaism.

To quote the esteemed urban philosopher Rodney King, can't we all just get along?

I just think it's foolish to take anything Bitter Almonds has to say seriously, regarding most music related subjects. If he seems knowledgeable it's because he is a good writer and he is able to name-drop obscure artists. Name dropping can be fun but if you do it too much it becomes pretty clear that you don't actually know what you're talking about.

I just think it's foolish to take anything Bitter Almonds has to say seriously, regarding most music related subjects. If he seems knowledgeable it's because he is a good writer and he is able to name-drop obscure artists. Name dropping can be fun but if you do it too much it becomes pretty clear that you don't actually know what you're talking about.

I'll take the Pepsi Challenge on that. Hands down, what I have stated is not an opinion, but a fact. If some listeners dismiss it, then that's fine, but negating the fact the music of today totally blows and sucks doesn't suddenly bring it on a higher level than the bland, cut-rate wankery it truly is. Here are some names to drop:

1. Name one artist today who is on the charismatic level of Elvis Presley?

2. Name one ground-breaking artist today who is on the level of John Cage and Brian Eno.

3. Name one Rock band on level of The Beatles, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Doors, Roxy Music... hell, even Rush!

4. Name a film composer of the magnitude of Maurice Jarre, Bernard Herrmann, and Ennio Morricone.

5. Think of a current, uncredited genius on the level of The Velvet Underground (granted, I don't really like their music, but that doesn't negate the fact they changed the way Pop music sounded), The New York Dolls, The Stooges, and Neu!.

6. Do we even have a band who can possibly cut to the level of 80s New Wave, now that we're talking about crap such as the killers? You think they're the new Cars? (HA! There really IS a band called "New Cars," but they suck).

7. Speaking of 80s music, name one Pop star on the level of Madonna, Prince, and Michael Jackson (strictly referring to their 80s music).

8. Does music today even have a movement that could match any other movement from past decades?

9. Just as a coup de grace, what are the current popular protest songs out there? I mean, hell, if a music fan is worth his/her salt, they could name a few from past decades, which were mainstream hits (I don't know why CCR was the first band that popped to mind, but that would be an example).

10. I've not been listening to music for most of me life for nuthin'. I can tell the difference between what is good and what is not the same way I can taste something and immediately tell the difference between a fine meal and junk food - it should be simple enough for anyone else to tell :beatnik:

1. Kanye West (don't like his music but i have to admit he's charistmatic)

2. Animal Collective

3. Alright, you got me there, nobody can top the Beatles. And many of the bands listed are some of the best ever, but the Stones? I'd go on listing bands better than them but there's no point really. And I could just go ahead and name bands that are on the same level as the ones you listed but there'd be no point since we'd just have to agree to disagree on that point.

4. Isn't Morricone still around today? Anyways, Clint Mansell

5. MF DOOM, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Black Moth Super Rainbow (better than the artists you listed and more uncredited)

6. Hmm, I never said the Killers were the new Cars. 80's new wave already happened and there's really no point in doing it again (we probably both agree on that).

7. Daft Punk (and yes, they are most definitely pop stars)

8. Indie movement, alternative hip hop movement

9. The Thermals - Pillar of Salt, Greenday - American Idiot

10. No

Good God.

1. kanye = today's Elvis? A sign of that the apocalyps*** is nigh. I think I threw up a little just thinking about kanye's songs.

2. I have not heard anything by this band. What have they done which would place them on the same music map as John Cage and Brian Eno? I was sure you'd say something like Kid606.

3. Haha. Hey, I also listed RUSH! I was thinking more along the lines of pre-Disco Stones.

4. clint mansell = Prolific composer? Ennio Morricone had more quality film scores under his belt in his first ten years than this guy. Try again.

5. Hmmm. Interesting. This could be today's music saving grace.

7. Daft Punk is nowhere near the magnitude in Pop image the way Madonna had it back in the day nor are they music virtuosos like Prince. They are cool and put on an awersome light show, but they're not that good.

8. These are old movements (there was Indie in the 70s, 80s, and 90s) and Hip Hop was way better in the late 70s and 80s. Think of something that came around 2000.

9. "American Idiot" was what I was thinking as well. Top 40 stuff. Too bad it's by Green Day (bleh). Then again, it's no Culture Club "War."

10. It really is that plain and simple, but sometimes it's the hardest concept to get (tantamount to watching movies - people usually don't get 'em 'cause they're not paying attention).

Alright, with a little help from the Internet, I shall seek out better 80s equivalents.

1. Pop charisma: Madonna

2. Cutting-edge composer: Um...?

3. Rock band: Metallica

4. Film score composer: Danny Elfman (who still beats Batman's pick)

5. Unrecognised genius: Laurie Anderson

8. New Wave and New Romantic, EBM, Goth, Metal, Glam Metal, all those subgenres.

9. London Calling :rockon:

I don't think there's any point in continuing this argument because there's no way we're going to come to any sort of agreement on the subject. I think when you're talking about musical quality, you're referring more to influence and cultural impact, and I'm just referring to how good the music is, so it's almost like we're having two separate arguments. Plus, I just read over my comments and I feel like I'm being sort of mean, especially considering I don't even know you.

But I will say this: You should really check out "Strawberry Jam" by Animal Collective. I suppose the closest thing to an accurate genre description of it would be "psychedelia," but it's so much more than that. I honestly cannot comprehend how Strawberry Jam was made by humans. But I don't want to hype it up too much, so you should just take a listen, and then we'll talk about it more. You might not like it, but at the very least it should provide a good example of how creative music made in the past decade can be.

And if you are into hip hop, definitely check out "Madvillainy" by Madvillain (which is a collaboration between Madlib and MF DOOM). DOOM is easily my favorite rapper, and in my opinion, he is one of the best creative geniuses of the past 50 years or so. I doubt you'll like him as much as you like me, but that's what I was talking about when I mentioned "alternative rap."