The Problem With Music

Farin

Looks like tony subscribes to the failed "philosophy" that if he doesn't like something, then those who do are "afraid" and "too stupid" to think the way he does.

I'm essentially paraphrasing your common line "That's not an opinion, it's a fact." :)

And at no point did I say anyone who likes John Cage and the like is "stupid". I don't base my opinions of people on their personal taste in music (save for the Timberlake fans :blush:). My point was that people who don't know anything about "art" figured that if they didn't "get it" then it must be "genious".

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mistake. You only said that people who like abstract art are "afraid" to admit it is "stupid" because they "don't get it." lol @ that. It's still a failed philosophy (and strictly yours) and has nothing to do with your weak attempt to connect it with what I have been stating all along. I never stated people who like certain kinds of music/art are "too afraid to admit it's stupid because they don't get it." The extent of what I have said was more akin to being unaware, which is a different state from fear and stupidity.

Analogy: kids wearing tank tops with dress-shirt ties. In their minds, they're knocking down people with their haute couture. Unless they wear these ugly fashions with the ironic intention to show that 1) it really looks godawful and/or 2) it has been done decades before, then they're not aware. You could spend all day telling them how ugly it looks to no avail; they will have to come to the realisation on their own as they gain more exposure to ideas, events, and experiences.

The problem with music isn't the music . . . the problem lies w/the person which perceives it.

I find it quite fascinating that one person can love a certain song yet another will despise it.

Respect always a person's preference, whether the other likes it or not.

Me? I like it ALL. I like hearing even the songs I don't like!

:D

I take solace in the fact that Blind-Fitter, who is always right, didn't get the analogy either. :)

That translation started off kind of funny, but then it just went into the normal conversation. That was another waste of 4:33.

Topical humor!

^ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Edited by Guest

Nah. Respecting preferences would lead to everyone not saying what they honestly think of a work of art for fear of offending those who like it. I rather show respect to others by being honest about such things. At best, I will refrain from commenting negatively on something, if I like the person in real life :beatnik:

I reckon you missed my point entirely.

I didn't say one could not voice their opinion, rather, that one shouldn't cut-down something another cherishes.

Say you don't like it, sure! But don't make 'em feel bad in doing so.

Or that one has to choose critical words more carefully because others might take them as an affront to their person (rather than the work being critiqued)?

yes.

"I don't like this song (for this and that reason)"

is better than

"this sucks"

it's called "being polite" :)