Looking back at 99 Top Tens

Farin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just like to send out a small bit of praise to everyone involved in the Top Ten process. (You all know who you are.)

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

It has been a big undertaking since Day One, and it has touched the hearts of us all. Your time and efforts have truly been appreciated. Your contributions have been gratious, selfless and honorable. ("One could almost say 'Christlike'.")

Here's to another 100. :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is one of my favorite memories.

I was ranting on about LedBloodyZeppelin when nomination after nomination of theirs made the Ten for weeks in a row. I said 'some of you would vote for Robert Plant burping', and Chris came up with this as his Avatar (briefly)...

rpburpnu3.jpg

I thought it was so good I saved it. :)

QUOTABLE QUOTES FROM PAST TOP TENS... :D

:happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana:

Whoops! Too much elation: I fear I may have soiled my Y-fronts... :blush:

(blind-fitter after his nomination "Blitzkrieg Bop' made #1 in TT 66).

Do my songs suck THAT bad? Or does everybody just hate me? :confused:

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester:

(miamisammy after TT 70).

whooo hoooo....our first list!!!! :coolio:

(Laurie after the results of TT 1 were announced.

Of course, there was a Badfinger song in it that she nominated !).

But I nominated Sam and Dave! Everybody likes Sam and Dave!

(Tim Lizard during TT 88. Lots of people did like 'Hold On, I'm Comin' because it got to #7.)

Phil, I couldn't really find anything controversial or outrageous while browsing through some of your Top Ten posts, but I like what you said about TT #9:

"A nice mix of music. Does this mean we have taste?"

It sure did ! Look at this for a Ten.

1. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' - The Righteous Brothers

2. A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum

3. Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits

4. Piece Of My Heart - Big Brother & The Holding Company

5. Crying - Roy Orbison

6. Ain't Too Proud To Beg - The Temptations

7. In The Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett

8. In My Room - The Beach Boys

9. Mississippi Queen - Mountain

=10.Radar Love - Golden Earring

=10.You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet - Bachman-Turner Overdrive

And this is also why we have 991 songs.

We brought in some 'Tiebreaker' rules after this. :)

Phil, I couldn't really find anything controversial or outrageous while browsing through some of your Top Ten posts, but I like what you said about TT #9:

"A nice mix of music. Does this mean we have taste?"

It sure did ! Look at this for a Ten.

1. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' - The Righteous Brothers

2. A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum

3. Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits

4. Piece Of My Heart - Big Brother & The Holding Company

5. Crying - Roy Orbison

6. Ain't Too Proud To Beg - The Temptations

7. In The Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett

8. In My Room - The Beach Boys

9. Mississippi Queen - Mountain

=10.Radar Love - Golden Earring

=10.You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet - Bachman-Turner Overdrive

And this is also why we have 991 songs.

We brought in some 'Tiebreaker' rules after this. :)

99 Top Tens but 100 winners! Two songs tied the 1st place once. Name the songs and the TT!

TT #9 is a terrific Top Ten! The Top 5 are 5 of my all time favourites!

Darryl, check your signature, the big space below your post might come from empty lines in tyhe sig!

Hmm, I'll test out my photographic memory on that one...

99 Top Tens but 100 winners! Two songs tied the 1st place once. Name the songs and the TT!

I believe the songs were Mrs Robinson by Simon & Garfunkel, and Paint It, Black by The Rolling Stones. It was in a fairly early Top Ten, so I will guess #6.

Edited by Guest

I believe the songs were Mrs Robinson by Simon & Garfunkel, and Paint It, Black by The Rolling Stones. It was in a fairly early Top Ten, so I will guess #6.

I don t know which Top, but I do remember it too... I even remember who nominated the songs... :cool:

Or a phonographic memory perhaps :) :thumbsup:

It was the Top Ten where the Stones had 2 songs in the ten.

I don't know if I ever told her, and seeing as it's my turn to post one or two thank yous now... I know that checking the nominations and researching the release dates of all the songs, ten after ten, is a whole lot of work and not always easy, and for that I really want to thank Lucky :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbsup:

And of course I'm just as grateful to Darryl for starting all this, Martin for running it before me, setting up the Archive and all that and being there now as well, Laurie for helping us with pretty much everything, Radhi for the Specials, Chris for the Ultimate Tens (I've no idea just how they work and from what I gathered it seems to be highly complicated and a lot of maths seems to be involved so I admire you for that ;) ), Katie for the facts, Dappled for the stats and everyone who's not too bored yet to come back week after week to nominate and vote ;) There's so many songs I discovered and rediscovered through the Top Tens, which I know for sure wouldn't have been possible any other way!

I don't know if I ever told her, and seeing as it's my turn to post one or two thank yous now... I know that checking the nominations and researching the release dates of all the songs, ten after ten, is a whole lot of work and not always easy, and for that I really want to thank Lucky :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbsup:

I know for a fact Lucky spends several hours each week doing the release years and the lists.

Thank You Lucky

:D :bow: :coolio: :content: :thumbsup: :rockon: :happybanana: :drummer:

And of course I'm just as grateful to Darryl for starting all this, Martin for running it before me, setting up the Archive and all that and being there now as well, Laurie for helping us with pretty much everything, Radhi for the Specials, Chris for the Ultimate Tens (I've no idea just how they work and from what I gathered it seems to be highly complicated and a lot of maths seems to be involved so I admire you for that ;) ), Katie for the facts, Dappled for the stats and everyone who's not too bored yet to come back week after week to nominate and vote ;) There's so many songs I discovered and rediscovered through the Top Tens, which I know for sure wouldn't have been possible any other way!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

What else can be added to this? Fin has said it all.

Thanks Fin, and bluesy! As far as the list goes (in my mind it has grown to THE LIST ;) ), geez it isn't hard at all. At least it isn't hard to get things wrong :P . I remember once doing the whole thing at once, late tuesday evening, without once saving my work. Allmusic caused the computer to freeze, and I lost everything. I almost cried. :D

The biggest thank you's have to go out to the members. Y'all keep coming back week after week. It's fairly impressive really. I suppose as long as you keep coming back, we'll keep rolling on. Thanks everyone!! :coolio: :thumbsup: :bow:

The Team have addressed that now, edna.

Fintan has made a Post in the "Facts" Thread.

ALSO I've just phoned a relative of Katie's today, and he assures me she's OK ! I told him we were worried about her and he's going to try to get her to put in an appearance.

:)

Edited by Guest
Phone Call.

I found Katie's surname from an old Email, and knew she lived in Goulburn (a country Town in NSW), so I looked up phone numbers in the Directory for that name. Fortunately, the first number I called was hers, and a male relative answered. He was naturally suspicious that I was a "Stalker" or something. So would I be if some old guy I didn't know called out of the blue and asked to speak to one of my daughters !

:headphones: