Looking back at 99 Top Tens

Farin

I got 2 out of 3, I think. :P

Elton John has had 12 TT entries, but no #1s. Queen have had a #1, Bohemian Rhapsody (and so it should have been). For some reason I thought it got 'pipped'. I'm going back to find those other 3 that Chris reckons are there.

And Bob Dylan appears to be correct for Ron's question. Bob's had 3 #1s: It's All Over Now, Baby Blue: Tangled Up In Blue: The Times They Are A-Changin'.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name two bands/artists who have featured in the Top Tens ten or more times without getting to number one.

(If I counted correctly, there is four in total).

I can only find 3 Chris. :)

David Bowie (11 entries)

Elton John (12)

Eagles (11)

That was what I was thinking of ! Hotel California never made #1 !!!:o

CSNY have had 9 entries. Did I miss someone else ?

:headphones:

I almost did!

I wish that we had kept track of #'s of nominations, because I know that several really good songs took a few tries. I wonder which ones were nominated the most times before making into the ten?

:doh: I should read not skim. had I read carefully I'd have known that Chris already told me this! And, if I remember correctly, I think he asked it in a Jeopardy question. ;)

SPECIAL ACKNOWLEDGMENTS.

The Danger in doing this type of thing is always that you'll miss someone who deserves to be mentioned, but here goes anyway.

The Archive: My favorite Thread. Martin (Farin) solely suggested and implemented this one. Very innovative and a 'must read' every week. Maintained in the original format by Fintan (The Seeker).

Videos For Prospective Nominations: Martin (and others) were putting videos in other threads, so we decided to create this special 'preview' thread based on his idea.

Every Song That's Made The Top Ten: Came about as a matter of necessity ! Has been maintained by myself, Shawna, Lucky and is currently updated by Laurie.

Playlist Of #1s in our Top Ten: Tim (The Lizard) came up with this great idea, where you can listen to our every #1 that we've had ! A real Winner.

New Song Facts For Songfacts' Main Page: Katie and Peaches got together on this one. We were asked to provide facts for any songs that made our Ten that didn't already have them. Edna would be our most prolific contributor.

Ultimate Top Tens: Our resident Mathematical Genius, Chris (c s 1987), came up with this. After every 25th TT, he rates the 250 songs, seeds them into Groups of 50, and we vote on them. One coming up soon !

Specials: Various Specials hosted by a few different people; now Radhi (Levis)is our full time Hostess/Mistress Of The Specials. These make an enjoyable diversion from our regular Tens.

The Graph: Judo used to compile this each week, giving a colorful look at the makeup of the Top Ten.

Virtual 'Compilation Cds' Of Personal Nominations: bluesboy thought of this one. The idea was for each of us to list out our 20 Nominations every tenth TT to see our individual tastes in music, and how they would look if they were released as a Compilation Cd. I liked it !

Listing Re-Nominations: Lars (Dappled) used to do this, and I always found it interesting to see which were renoms and how they'd fared before.

FINALLY Compiling the List Of Songs/Artists/Dates each week: As far as I'm concerned, the toughest job of all. We take pride in the maintaining the accuracy of the information in our Top Tens. Lucky does a wonderful job on this ! And Martin and Fintan are there to back her up as required.

It's true, this enterprise (in all it's variations) takes a bit of work, and it's amazing the number of people that have made contributions to making it GREAT! Thanks to everyone! :bow:

We all know that were it not for Old55 we wouldn't be making all this fuss, and still coming back week after week! Darryl had the idea, and put the concept together. He made it fun, and something to look forward to every week.

THANKS DARRYL !!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

That's very nice of you sweet ladies. :)

Please don't give me too much credit. I just happened to have an idea that caught on, and I'm so pleased it did. I planted the seed and all our wonderful group of people brought it to fruition.

And thanks Ron for your support. I remember you hosted one of our Specials !

Edited by Guest
S2V

I think my first 'score' was In The Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett (finished number seven in Top Ten #8). No mystery there, at all. It's a classic cool song!

But my biggest surprises were Treat Her Like A Lady - Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose (my renomination that reached number nine in #39). I had no idea that other folks might like this song as much as I do.

and

Harden My Heart - Quarterflash (another number nine in #25). This was a kind of 'off The cuff' choice. I must have just heard it or something. I'm dumbfounded that my other nom that time (Tobacco Road - The Nashville Teens) gets nowhere (I think I've tried that one at least twice).

Thanks to all the team :bow: :bow: :bow: and of course, special thanks to Old55, who´s the father of all this... :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I just hope that Katie soon reappears because we are getting worried about her, she´s been missing for more than a month.

Bazooka, I believe you are another songfactor who´s been in every Top ten... :shades:

The Graph: Judo used to compile this each week, giving a colorful look at the makeup of the Top Ten.

My apologies for not being in a position to continue with this contribution. Changed circumstances and new priorities preclude me from being the regular I once was on the Top Tens, but cheers! to all you other regulars; keep the Top Ten flag flying high and do our dear Old'55 proud.

Which 3 songs made the Top Ten after 5 nominations (a record)?

Boys Of Summer - Don Henley

Stay With Me - The Faces

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division

I found another one:

Crash Test Dummies' Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm was first nominated by Radhi in the very first Top Ten. It reached #36 and got 10 points! Then it was nominated for TTs 24, 39 and 50. No luck until finally in TT 90 it got it's deserved due and was voted in!

I found another one:

Crash Test Dummies' Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm was first nominated by Radhi in the very first Top Ten. It reached #36 and got 10 points! Then it was nominated for TTs 24, 39 and 50. No luck until finally in TT 90 it got it's deserved due and was voted in!

And no "96 Tears"? I think I nominated it at least 12 times before Lea did and it went to #1... :laughing:

Gershwin's Summertime is the most covered song in our lists. Versions by Ella Fitzgerald, Morcheeba, Billy Stewart and Janis Joplin have been nominated. They're all great! Only Janis Joplin's made it into the ten. It was nominated by guess who for the very first TT. It reached #21. Competition was fierce then. On it's second nomination it reached a #3. I might nominate

The Zombies' version one day :)

22 months, 99 Tens, 991 songs and innumerable nominations are very impressive in themselves, but there are some more records that have been set so far. Think you've got your figures together?

Test your knowledge some more!

Do you know which song got the most points ever and which Top Ten seemed to be the most popular one? ;)

Which #1 got the most votes?

"You Really Got Me" by The Kinks. In Top Ten #45, 20 people voted for it and the song got a total of 105 points.

Which #1 got the least votes?

"Shine A Light" by The Rolling Stones. Only 7 votes and a total of 57 points were enough to make this song number one in TT #67. It helped that it got an average 8.1 points from every voter!

Which #1 got the most points?

"In My Life" by The Beatles. Top Ten 5, 117 points, 17 voters and a record!

Which #1 got the least points?

"Ballroom Blitz" by The Sweet and "My Sharona" by The Kinks. It's a tie here between Top Ten #63 and the very first Ten. 10 and 8 people respectively liked those songs enough to help them become number one with 52 points each.

Which Top Ten had the most nominations?

Top Ten #16. 32 people nominated an overwhelming 64 songs!

Which Top Ten had the least nominations?

Top Ten #95. It was Christmas time and apparently other things were more important

;) 19 people provided us with 38 nominations.

:guitar: