The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #99

Lucky

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Black Betty made #1 :coolio: I had been very very hesitant to nominate that song for quite sometime. Like Sammy said it is so very

politically incorrect I just wasn't sure about it. It is such a cool song tho. The music is so catchy and you find yourself singing it without even thinking about it. To be honest I am surprised it made the list at all.

Was also surprised to see Marley made it. I love Bob Marley but the other reggae songs I have nominated didn't far well at all so I figured he wouldn't either. Glad to see I was wrong.

I had never heard of the Eels until I came here and liked that song. I listen to them all when their up for nomination. Wouldn't be fair if I didn't.

Good list in my opinion and Sammy and BF just crack me up :laughing: :laughing:

Well done envis. :)

Chris (c_s 1987) nominated Black Betty back in TT #52. I'm sure there's other renoms in there too - I remember voting for You're No Good at least once before. I think it's well worth us going back and reviewing some of our nominations which we believe should have made it before, and giving them another run. I might even try my favorite instrumental "Sleep Walk" again.

I like most of this Top Ten. Great to see a Johnny Rivers' song finally make it !

Wow is this a first, or what? I don't think there has been one critical comment, or a single "meh" yet! :D

I'll be no different, I like this ten as well. I'm very pleased the Johnny Rivers made it in. And I've gotta agree with Sammy, the song is just cool. I've wanted to nominate Black Betty as well, but never have. Great rockin' song! I guess now that a lot of the 'biggies' have made it in, their is now room for a lot of the other great songs that should be on the list, but have been overlooked in the past. This could actually be the point where things get really interesting! :)

I don't think there has been one critical comment, or a single "meh" yet!

Meh.

:grin:

Actually, I will say that I'm very happy to see Linda in there. She was my first favorite female vocalist before I discovered Stevie.

Edited by Guest
get real, get crazy.

I like this Top! :thumbsup:

"I Shot The Sheriff" -a song I don´t like but admit it´s a classic - deserved to make it.

Great to see some good old Johnny Rivers and also Linda Ronstadt...

"Mercy, Mercy" is there too... :cool:

Glad to see some shalalala too... :cool:

Lea, renominations sometimes are a surprise... I nominated "96 Tears" at the first Top, or maybe the second... I nominated it again two times and finally you nominated it and it went to #1... :thumbsup:

A good Ten. Anything with Marvin Gaye and Bob Marley is OK by me. Ram Jam who did Black Betty used to be the Lemon Pipers who gave us Green Tambourine. Johnny River's Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu, was actually a cover version that was first done by New Orleans R&B artists Huey Smith and the Clowns in 1957.

He pretty much did Edna, but he put his own style to it. His real name is John Ramistella. He was born in New York, but his family moved to New Orleans when he was five. He probably heard The Clown's song growing up. By the way, good morning Edna. :)

Edited by Guest

Jane! Nice to see you girly... :) I hope you are planning to be around for #100!? It's gonna be a party, kiddo, and we need your lovely presence! :D

both of mine are in? Jackie Blue and Superstar!

Ya did good kid, and thanks for the Devils nomination! My local band, that's their only hit song, and probably the one I like the least, ;) but they are in there! :D

Just recapping....

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #99 for the week ending 27th January 2008

1. Black Betty - Ram Jam (1977)

2. I Want It All - Queen (1989)

3. I Shot The Sheriff - Bob Marley (1973)

4. Superstar - The Carpenters (1971)

5. You're No Good - Linda Ronstadt (1975)

6. Baby, It's You - The Shirelles (1961)

7. Jackie Blue - Ozark Mountain Daredevils (1974)

8. Rockin' Pneumonia And The Boogie Woogie Flu - Johnny Rivers (1972)

9. Spoonman - Soundgarden (1994)

10. Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology) - Marvin Gaye (1971)

PLEASE MAKE YOUR WAY TO OUR CENTENARY TOP TEN #100. :)