Pink Floyd

Viaene

I've loved music all my life, I grew up with it actually, but only the last 2 years I've really stood still and really though about it as an actual art. I started figuring out that every song had it's meaning and certain bands/artists are very famous because of their work. It started with more recent music, but as time passed on I really started to like music from before my time, and everytime I look back in time, looking for music I see the same names reappear; beatles, stones, queen, nirvana,the Who,...

the band that most caught my attention is definitely Pink Floyd, I've watched numerous concerts on youtube and I got the chance to see Aussie Floyd, by whom I got overwhelmed by the beauty of their music and the surrounding show. has anyone here been to a performance of this legendary Pink Floyd? what was it like? too bad I wasn't born like 20 year earlier :<

Edited by Guest

Okay, I'm just going to go ahead and show what Georgy Boy posted on his site:

I HATE PINK FLOYD. No, ladies and gentlemen, my name is not Johnny Rotten. And my motives for disliking this greatest symbol of the Seventies (second only to Led Zeppelin, it seems) differ greatly from those of the Sex Pistols. The Pistols and their kinsmen hated Pink Floyd because of their pretentiousness and overbearing complexity, and in this, it seems, their hate was purely conventional—in fact, they just experienced the same kind of things that they felt towards any other mature or non-mature prog rock band. Me, I have nothing against prog rock in general. But I do have something against Pink in particular.

What I honestly feel is that the Floyders are probably the most overrated rock band in man's history. Certainly, they are worthy. A very worthy band—even me, who's not a fan, could go on speaking of their advantages for hours (I just don't want to because thousands of people have done so already). But the kind of praise given to them, the endless sell outs, monster radio hits, unrestrained critical and fan worship - none but the Beatles received as much, and even the Beatles don't seem to receive that much nowadays. The Beatles traditionally hold number one, see, so lots of people who get tired of the Beatles being number one start dismissing them as 'pop crap' or 'shallow' or 'dated', and praise Floyd instead. Ladies and gentlemen, let's all be cool-headed! If you want to really know who is first and who is second, be cool-headed! Okay, of course, it's impossible to tell who's first and who's next just because any judgement (sic) of the kind would be highly subjective. However, I'll still go ahead and try to explain why I don't like Floyd and at the same time give them a class of B when I even gave Led Zeppelin a C.

There is one major defect about Floyd - whether it be Barrett-led Floyd or Waters-led Floyd (and I don't even mention the Gilmour-led Floyd). These guys are (and were) very average musicians and so-so songwriters. Let's face it, the group never had a true musical virtuoso. Waters' bass playing is just okay, Wright and Mason don't qualify above your average session musicians, and Barrett's talents, you must admit, weren't in the sphere of picking the guitar. As for Gilmour, well, I just don't like the guy's guitar—I consider it generic and soulless. All of his 'classic' solos are so mathematically precise, counted out and adjusted that it almost makes me sick. He's no Steve Howe, and he's not even Steve Hackett. He's Dave, like we all know him: slow, meticulous and calculated. He's got some truly great guitar passages in his backpack (my favourite work of his is mostly located on Dark Side and Animals), but he also has a lot of pointless noodling, and he often selects the kind of generic highly distorted, yet not really 'heavy' guitar tone that I can't call anything but 'musical dentistry'. Sorry, Dave.

Neither could they make really creative melodies (a flaw which they share with Yes). In their Barrett days, when they relied on Syd, their songs were crazy and atmospheric, but not quite structured or memorable, except for a pair of hooks now and then. In their Waters days, when they relied on Roger, their songs were careful and…atmospheric. But still, the melodies were always kinda iffy. On the early albums they used to rip off everybody, starting from Simon & Garfunkel and ending with the Kinks, and they didn't exactly clear up even with their classic mid-Seventies hit albums.

No, even if you're willing to argue with me that the Pinkers actually wrote tons of classic melodies, you'll still have to admit that it isn't their songwriting that's the main attraction in Pink. The main attraction is the way, the manner in which they present their songs. While I certainly cannot call Floyd the most talented band in rock history, they were certainly the greatest experimentators on this planet of ours. From the early feedback and electronic drums experimentation to the mad laughters and ticking clocks on Dark Side to the shiver-sending spooky atmosphere of The Wall, they were always the impeccable masters of special effects—and it was certainly that side of them that attracted most of the audience. They were simply unpredictable. That said, I shouldn't have given them more than a C in the [overall] rating. However, since I'm a great fan of unpredictability (and I do believe that only unpredictability and total irrationalism can save modern music from ruin), I'm willing to raise the rating to a B. Simply because there are so many Pink Floyd tunes around that normally don't deserve a lot of attention, but still get it since they are so groovy, if the word 'groovy' is applicable to Floyd music.

Edited by Guest
To clarify something.

Hey Super Ry 71,

I read that post some time ago, and would not even waste the time replying to such crap. But It's his opinion, and he's entitled to it.

In my opinion if ya like what ya hear that's the way it should be. What reason would anyone have to disuade you from what you like, other than a monetary bonus from some music rag magazine they may work for, or just to try to force their personal opinion on everyone else. I say keep your opinions to yourself unless your asked..., and enjoy what you like. I dont know of any guide lines that say you can like this song, but not that one because of bla bla bla....

Sorry to get alittle off the wall but people like that *iss me off to no end. I dont crititize anything that anyone has to say here as I dont think it's right.. I may not like some bands or music, but I dont bad mouth any. I keep my opinion to myself, which is where it should stay unless questioned..

Tell George to listen to "Dogs". The solo in particular.

and of course David Gilmour isn't as good as Steve Howe, and none of the members of Pink Floyd are as skilled as the any of the other prog greats, but Pink Floyd does quite well without virtuoso solos. It's the music that's good, not the skill with which it is played. And if you've ever listened to any of their bigger albums, you can't criticise their songwriting.

Then again, I would have to say that Yes is a better band, and tends to lose out in competition with Pink Floyd.

and of course David Gilmour isn't as good as Steve Howe, and none of the members of Pink Floyd are as skilled as the any of the other prog greats, but Pink Floyd does quite well without virtuoso solos. It's the music that's good, not the skill with which it is played.

Et voilà... :cool: :bow: :bow:

I love the Floyds. I also love CCR and they´re no virtuoso either.

Speaking of Pink Floyd, check out the 1/19/2008 "Retail" comic strip. (I'm unsure if King Features Syndicate will take offense if I put in a link.) So, "Marla" is "in the grocery store demographic"? (Pink Floyd is Muzak!?) This "harsh reality check" happened one evening when I was in Sears, Roebuck between Thanksgiving and Christmas some years ago. Simon & Garfunkel were now Muzak fodder? It was "7 O'Clock News/Silent Night," of all things! :stars:

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Are you a fan if you only really like one or two albums of an artist? My husband has Pink Floyd's The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon. He only really liked DSotM; he has the CD and at least 6 LP's of this, including the "Audiophile Direct to Disc" recording (whatever that is). He played this LP so much in the 70's and 80's, he needed to buy that many copies! The Wall made more of an impression on me...didn't really get the appeal of Darkside.

Somehow, I think this may have something to do with what he was smoking at the time...

Pre-Darkside Pink Floyd to me is better than any of their later albums. I think Atom Heart Mother was one of the best things they ever did.

I fully agree with this... The Floyd lost all its magic for me after "DSOTM". "AHM" is one of the records that opened my ears and my mind, back in... late sixties? Early seventies?

• 2 weeks later...

You've got to understand, after DSOTM, the record company tried to control FLOYD, wanted to milk their success from DSOTM, the band rebelled, the essence of the following albums was struggle and rebellion. WYWH and Animals were products of contract obligation, even The Wall was a mixture of obligation, and Waters vehicle for frustrations, combined. So little of Gilmour, Mason and Wright on The Wall, it's a crime.

AMLOR is actually quite good, because the three returned to a simple formula and lost the ire that was building through Waters contributions. And the Division Bell is a crowning achievement for latter day Floyd. The best since DSOTM in my opinion.

Nothing is as unique and flavorful as early Floyd, PATGOD, ASOS, AHM, Relics, Meddle and OBC are the best Floyds ever done, the only thing that rises DSOTM above them is that the chemistry and flow is exquisite thanks in large part to Parsons.

Oh I know!! Ummagumma is one of the best albums ever created. Sysyphus is such an amazing 4 part song!

I've never done LSD, but if I did, it would be while listening to that album. I reccomend everyone needs to hear it at the very least once before they die.

And Fooloonthehill, let's make this AHM thing happen!

Also, you're gonna love the rest of the album. Especially Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast.

Fat Old Sun in one of the most soothing songs there is.

Any true Pink Floyd fan must have Ummagumma! My mind soared into a whole new level of consciousness when I first heard it.

I had Ummagumma in the late sixties, I bought it again in the early seventies, again in the mid-70s, again in the late 80s :stars: They disappeared over and over... Some albums are real candy for my friends... :P