SDRAWKCAB/BACKWARDS

Danielj

Yeah I think their is one by Pink Floyd too, I cant hear it really in any other songs, for instance the Britney Spears one, shes hardly your typical satan worshipper now is she?

But I can clearly make out Stairway backwards, that really freaked me out, did it not scare you?

Catherine, racecar would be know as a palindrome where the word is spelt the same backwards and forwards.

Anyway, back to the subject....On the Abbey Road album which song was it that supposedly said "Paul is dead" when played backwards. For a short while (a very short while, like when the album first came out) didn't people question if Paul was alive or dead? On the Abbey Road album where the Fab Four are crossing the street Paul is not wearing shoes. The dead are not buried with shoes on hence the question of Paul's existence was a topic.

Lastly, I believe the practice of putting subliminal messages on a song when played backwards is called Backmasking.

...Anyway, back to the subject....On the Abbey Road album which song was it that supposedly said "Paul is dead" when played backwards. For a short while (a very short while, like when the album first came out) didn't people question if Paul was alive or dead? On the Abbey Road album where the Fab Four are crossing the street Paul is not wearing shoes. The dead are not buried with shoes on hence the question of Paul's existence was a topic...

There is loads of evidence to suggest Paul is dead. Just listen to all of his output since 1970! Only kidding. I love Paul.

I am not aware that there are any songs on "Abbey Road" that say he's dead (but I've never played it backwards, so I wouldn't really know). "Abbey Road" was just the 'bearfoot' thing on the cover.

Apparently, if you play "Revolution #9" backwards, it says "Turn me on dead man" and at the end of "Strawberry Fields Forever", John Lennon says "I buried Paul" (except that, actually, he says "cranberry sauce"...although.... WHY??????

The Beatles had lots of backwards stuff in their 'psychedelic' phase but, despite their mischieviousness in such things connected with their lyrics, I don't think they ever put in backwards messages. There is enough in their lyrics to baffle musicologists without that!

ELO on the other hand...well they had an album called "Secret Messages", which had backwards passages in some of the songs. One presumes that the idea was that you would be so intrigued as to what they were that you would play the album backwards. I never bothered - partly because I couldn't be bothered and partly because it was going to be so obviously contrived.

The "Paul Is Dead" thing actually covered the period from 1966 (when he had a minor accident which resulted in him chipping a front tooth) right through to the end and, apart from what I mentioned above, there is 'evidence' in each of their albums from 1967 which 'proves' that he died in 1966. there are entire websites devoted to the subject if you're interested. It was a major preoccupation at the end of the 60s and there are still people who believe it even today. If it was true, it would mean that Ringo is now the only surviving Beatle! Reunion, anyone?

Martin

Does anyone remember that classic Saturday Night Live sketch where Eddie Murphy plays Clarence, a black saxophone player who, he claims, started the Beatles. They were originally called the "Clarences". This was one of the funniest skits ever on SNL. Clarence played a record backwards and you could hear, "Hey, Paul, let's kick Clarence out of the band and steal his really great ideas." "Yeah, let's." Clarence was suing for royalties from all the Beatles' early songs. Hilarious sketch.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

In ELO's Fire On High, if you listen to it backward, a voice says "The music is reversible, but time is not, turn back, turn back, turn back, turn back!" And then if you were listening to the song forward, almost everything up until that point was played backward. At that point everything goes forward and there is some sword fight. It's a weird intro to a song, but that voice is creepy.

• 3 years later...

Some of the tunes are a bit of a stretch... others, like the ones that make no sense played forward, are obviously meant to be played backwards. The rest, like Stairway, Another One Bites The Dust, Imagine and My Name Is are pretty cool :grin: