American Idol 08

_Laurie_

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case there's any doubt, America hates the white guy with dreadlocks singing Bob Marley.

As per Idol convention, Castro ended the show tonight performing the song that got him kicked off, which has to have the producers wondering if there's a better way. America should not have been subjected to that twice.

Not that I'm not happy to see him go, but now I'm worried for David Cook, because Jason was the one splitting the vote between the two Davids, and now there's no one...

I do NOT want Archuleta to win. David Cook, by my estimation, has one of the most naturally powerful voices I've heard since Darius Rucker. And I am still quite in awe of Darius's voice.

The last song of the night seemed awfully staged: Dave Cook doing I Don't Want To Miss A Thing. You can tell if a singer is into the song from the first line: "I could stay awake just to hear you breathing," and he wasn't. But Diane Warren, who wrote the song, was in the audience, the strobe lights came on for the chorus, and the judges announced that David Cook nailed it.

Talk about setting someone up to succeed - Diane Warren is one of the top Pop songwriters of the last 25 years, and I can't imagine they wouldn't give her this moment on Idol. It was a full-on production number - I almost expected some acrobats from Cirque Du Soleil to come swinging from the rafters. this is how producers create stuff people like, and the tepid vocal performance was overlooked.

Syeesha, on the other hand, was forced to sing a chirpy tune from the Happy Feet movie, and her production number - Fever by Peggy Lee - was panned by Simon as "caberet."

I actually like David Cook, but I fear he will give us the next Creed. He and the other David will battle it out next week.

Due to being unimpressed early doors, I have given this series a miss, until last week's "Rock Hall of Fame" themed show. My impressions were:

- the spectacle of David Cook strolling along stage front hammily growling "Hungry Like The Wolf" was akin to some terrible waking nightmare

- the guy with the dreads was thoroughly atrocious: how did he come this far???

- Archuleta: he may become an idol in the States, because, frankly, there are enough weird people about, but he will never catch on anywhere else.

- Syesha or whatever her name is: not saying she was fantastic, because she wasn't, but I was struck by how much harder the women are expected to work to gain any sort of recognition. Men can get by with rough voices, poor taste, faces like a pig's bum, etc. whereas to succeed, the ladies need to have exceptional voices, be excellent performers, be at least acceptable-looking but preferably gorgeous, etc. Cook put in an embarrassing energy-free performance for which he should have been pummelled mercilessly. Yet Syesha- clearly a more competent vocalist- did a routine with some energy and performance involved, but gained little credit.

-Rasta guy covers Marley and Dylan and gets a good kicking (rightly so, he was rubbish) and is told these songs are "untouchable". The barely pubescent Archuleta tried his hand at Elvis: it was nauseating. He should have been told that song was untouchable. Let's see some consistency here.

i absolutely agree with your observations about women, b-f. women have to work sooo hard to do well on the show! in all those kinds of talent shows really, it's much harder for women to excel. i'm not sure why that is! maybe because they're harder to 'sell' as a product in the end if they're not the whole package?? it's unfair!

Are you kidding? It's a woman's world!

Just look at the clothing section at Macy's.

There's a whole floor dedicated to women. Men, bottom floor towards the corner, beside the belt-sanders. We're lucky to find a belt that fits, much less anything else.

I was wondering if all the Archuleta hype didn't match the vote. As Hillary Clinton can tell you, sometimes the person who is declared the inevitable winner in the press doesn't carry the vote.

This should work for the best, since I'm not convinced Archuleta really wanted to win. His life won't be any less fulfilling as a result, but for Cook, it's clear validation and a great story. I just hope he doesn't give us the next Creed.