American Idol 08

_Laurie_

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you ready for American Idol '08 Peachy????? :D

I don't know, Laurie. It sucked out loud last season, so I'm a bit bitter about it now. However, with this cursed writer's strike, all of my shows are off the air, so I out of sheer boredom I might watch it. Besides, Mags would slit my throat if I didn't watch with her. She's very demanding, you know. :grin:

I watched those auditions last night. I felt really bad for the poor guy who was obviously a little slow mentally... he tried to sing a gospel (I think) song and it was very weird... but they should not make fun of people with obvious) non-self-induced) impairments.

I, too, had to laugh at that dude. It's a known fact that a stroke patient with a speech impediment may also have the ability to sing perfectly fine. This dude was the EXACT OPPOSITE of that. I don't think he had any disability at all; he was just a HORRIBLE singer.

I fell asleep soon thereafter.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester:

He said his co-wokers encouraged him to auditon.... they hate him. :P

If I wanted to watch a televised Karaoke contest, I'll go to the nearest bar with a Karaoke machine. When I want to see new/interesting musicians, I'm off to "Austin City Limits" or "Soundstage." (And, once in a while, "Independent Lens" or "Frontline.") To underline my point, local folklore has it that a fellow auditioned for a "Star Search" Karaoke contest and lost. He went back to Maui and resumed his "Mr. Tanner" life. A group of his friends chipped in and bought some studio time at a local recording studio and dared him to sing again. He took them up on it, and Keali'i Reichel became known across Maui, Hawaii, and the rest of the world. (So now the barflies sing his songs in the Karaoke lounges.) :stars:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Praise the heavens that the excruciatingly horrific train wreck that is the 8 month long audition process is over with. Now I can start watching the excruciatingly horrific train wreck that will be the rest of the season. :grin:

I enjoyed the Hollywood week show last night. They actually spent more than 30% of the episode showing people singing instead of Lifetime movie of the week backstories. I'm a single mom/dad (wear a rubber), my dad died (stay home and grieve, for chrissakes), I live in my car (get a frakking job), my dog died, I had bad acne as a teenager, I was forced to watch Paula Abdul videos at gunpoint...quit yer bitchin, already.

Anyhoo, there are too many to suss out, of course, but I am impressed with the 16 year old kid David Archuleta. I haven't fully decided if he's one of the Children of the Corn, but I'll give him a pass for the moment.

I don't know how old he was in this clip, but he sang the snot out of this song in front of an amazed Kelly Clarkson. Check it out.

My family watched it. I came in downstairs just in time to watch that Aussie massacre "Light My Fire", which reminded me why I don't watch the stupid show anymore, and also made me wonder why I ever watched in the first place. The worst part was, they said he was good. He shouted the entire thing, and wasn't on pitch once.