"VH1 Seven Ages of Rock" Mick Jagger clip song ID

Margaret28

Hi all..I was watching VH1's Seven Ages of Rock the other day, and I need helping finding a song! If you've watched it, maybe this will make sense ; if not - don't bother!

Okay, the part I'm talking about is (I think!) in the Birth of Rock one, but maybe in the White Light, White Heat episode. It's a short clip of Mick Jagger singing in black and white..I think it had war in the lyrics? It might have been around when you see him saying something like "Just cool/calm down" to a feisty crowd.

I know this is really really general, but I thought I would try here! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Guest
title

Gimme Shelter????? I'll see if I can get a video.

Lyrics:

Ooh, a storm is threatening my very life today

If I don't get some shelter, yeah, I'm gonna fade away.

War, children, its just a shot away, it's just a shot away

War, children, its just a shot away, it's just a shot away.

Ooh, see the fire is sweeping, our very streets today

Burns like a red coal carpet, mad bull lost its way.

War, children, its just a shot away, it's just a shot away

War, children, its just a shot away, it's just a shot away.

Rape, murder, it's just a shot away, it's just a shot away

Rape, murder, it's just a shot away, it's just a shot away

Rape, murder, it's just a shot away, it's just a shot away.

Mmmm, the flood is threatening, my very life today

Gimme, gimme shelter or I'm gonna fade away.

War, children, it's just a shot away, it's just a shot away.

It's just a shot, away, a shot away, a shot away.

I tell ya, love, sister, it's just a kiss away, it's just a kiss away

It's just a kiss away, it's just a kiss away, kiss away, kiss away.

Edited by Guest

I believe you've found it! It was "Gimme Shelter". Thank you so much! I even found my "Just cool out" part :D..I know it was chaotic, but I love to hear him say it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jY6yYAlueUM&feature=related

Here it is if you wanted to watch it..

Edited by Guest

True..but I like the word ;)..There was the Hell's Angel's stabbing of the guy with the gun who was supposedly going to kill Jagger. Please correct me if I screwed up something!

That stage was either really low or the people were just really close - I'd be afraid to preform on it!

Edited by Guest

Feisty crowd is putting it mildly...you may want to read up about the Altamont Concert

Altamont was like the end of the dram.

The then 20 year old bazooka was an actual attendee at the Altamont concert.

I’ve resisted doing this in the past , but here’s a few of my recollections of the day (admittedly flavored by half-hits of two different kinds of acid and countless doob):

We parked just off the freeway maybe a quarter mile down dirt roadway into the valley behind the Speedway. There was a hot air balloon being fired up and some spaced out nude people walking the opposite direction, I think looking for a better vantage point.

We ventured about halfway into multitude and sat on the dry grass. Probably our good fortune, that we eventually rejected the idea of trying to move up closer. Throughout the day, throngs of people would pour through our area, hoping to be nearer the front, although there were repeated announcements advising against that.

I’m not sure of the exact sequence of events, but I know the sound system went to hell for Santana’s performance. I think it was restored shortly thereafter. You could feel the tension building and the atmosphere was vaguely scary (by the way, kids, acid messes with your brain chemistry, but it in no way expands your mind).

In our general vicinity, there were some amusing goings-on. What must have been the world’s first Yuppies laid out a nice blanket with Cornish game hens on the hibachi and uncorked some white wine. I swear one of the guys had a sweater draped and tied over his shoulders, and the women were tweedy and aristocratic. Nearby, there was a fellow in a pig mask that blended quite naturally into his face (maybe blame that on the damned acid, too) and another Neanderthal-looking guy prowling around and pacing back and forth with a huge open end wrench sticking out of his back pocket.

There must already have been some rough stuff going on, because at one point Grace Slick was chanting from the stage, “You can f[smallest]xx[/smallest]ck ‘em. Don’t f[smallest]xx[/smallest]ck ‘em around.â€

The wait for the Stones seemed interminable. People still just keep pushing through, moving forward. As it turned to early evening, large bonfires were creating kind of a hellish scene. When Jagger hit the stage in a orange and black bat-winged harlequin suit, the crowd went medieval. I think the Stones tried to lead off with Street Fighting Man (or was it Jumping Jack Flash ?), and everybody just ran forward. We could see stuff being thrown and people being smashed. Jagger pleaded dozens of times, “Cool out, peopleâ€, and each time they started to play, insanity flared up again.

To be honest, I don’t really remember how things finally did “cool out†enough (I ought to watch the movie), for the Stones to deliver a fairly satisfying set and escape.

On the way back home, we picked up hitch-hikers and swapped stories. Like probably more than 80% of the 300,000 people assembled, we didn’t know anything about guns or stabbings until the next day. So, in a way, Ignorance is Bliss, and a splendid time was enjoyed by many.

I believe you've found it! It was "Gimme Shelter" . . .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jY6yYAlueUM&feature=related

Here it is if you wanted to watch it..

Now you've got me confused.

The song in the clip is Sympathy For The Devil (from the movie Gimme Shelter).

Gimme Shelter is also the title of a completely different (and some might say 'better') song.

[smallest]Just for added confusion, the Jean-Luc Godard movie One Plus One was called [/smallest] Sympathy For The Devil [smallest] in the US. [/smallest]

I was also wondering any other great Stones songs you'd recommend to a newbie listener!

Do you know what a tall order that is?

I'd say try them all, from the early 1960s on.

A couple definite musts: Paint It Black ; You Can't Always Get What You Want .

I think you cut off part of my answer!

I said " I believe you've found it! It was "Gimme Shelter". Thank you so much! I even found my "Just cool out" part :D..I know it was chaotic, but I love to hear him say it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jY6yYAlueUM&a mp;feature...

Here it is if you wanted to watch it.."

The video had "..the Devil", but I think we had been talking about the "cool out" part, so I added the video too.

Edited by Guest

Laurie, how did you know? :grin: Sammy must have something to say here... and Lucky too... :cool:

"Beggars´ Banquet", "Let It Bleed", "Sticky Fingers", "Exile on Main Street", "Goat´s Head Soup" and "It´s Only Rock and Roll" are albums filled with the best songs, the best arrangements, some of the best lyrics even... the best Stones are there.

Bazooka, thank you for sharing your experience... :bow: :bow: :bow: "Gimme Shelter (The Movie)" was like a "before" and "after" in my teenage days... don´t think I would have loved to be there but I was surely impressed by it...