Non US Hits That Could Have Been

Russ_Horton

Slade did hit #20 on the Hot 100 with Run Runaway, which hit #1 on the Billboard Album Rock chart, and also had a top 40 hit with My Oh My. Both of these received heavy airplay on AOR stations and MTV, but less airplay on top 40 stations. But their biggest impact on the US Hot 100 was actually Quiet Riot's cover of Cum On Feel the Noize, which hit #5.

Edited by Guest

Here's another Aussie classic that never quite made it in America. It's a very bitter song about lost love, but it also captures something quintessentially Australian in it's sound, if that makes sense. Just a sense of space and isolation and loneliness. I'm probably getting a bit too analytical! I just love it. One of my favourite songs ever. The sound on the Youtube really doesn't do it justice, but anyway ...

Wide Open Road - The Triffids

:bow:

One of the greatest Perth bands ever. Great song too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to jump on the Cold Chisel bandwagon too, the more I listen the harder I find it to believe they never caught on anywhere else. They are a tight band, fantastic songwriting, one and a half lead singers (Ian Moss does a great job when Barnesy isn't doing the honours).

Unbelieveable.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Live is Life" -Opus

" A Criminal Mind " - Gowan

" Those Old Emotions " - The Spoons

A bunch of '80s crap that likely could've made their mark on th pop charts with a bit of a push ...

Actually "Live Is Life" did reach #32 in the US in the spring of '86 (as a live recording, fittingly enough). Not exactly a massive hit song, but enough to get it some love from Casey Kasem for a few weeks.

Edited by Guest

The great English Group, Status Quo, only had 2 U.S. Hits - Pictures Of Matchstick Men #12 and Ice In The Sun #70, both 1968.

In the U.K. they scored 55 Hits from 1968 to 2002, and a dozen here in Australia.

This was their only #1Down Down 1975. Also Rockin' All Over The World 1977 was a U.K. Gold Record for them . John Fogerty had a U.S. Hit with in in 1975.

• 1 month later...

Feargal Sharkey.. the english solo artist.. Big fan of his back in the 80's heard him on a cool ass show on WXRT in Chicago called "Rock over London".. it came on Wed at 10pm i never missed it..

"A good heart" went to #`1 in the UK but hit only 74# in the US. and an even better song.. "You little Thief" hit 5# in the UK but never even charted here.. Feargal was even on an American Bandstand episode i remember. Dangit.. thought i would be ahead of the boys in the hood with him.. but he never got anywhere here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tGp5AuSMhI

• 4 weeks later...

In the late sixties the career of one of the best guitarplayers ever, Jan Akkerman (later leader of Focus), took off in Holland with the lovely pop-rocksong Russian Spy and I.

Nice naive text, great guitar solo, very danceable. :happybanana:

This should have been numero uno in America before later Dutch rubbish stormed the Hot 100: Shocking Blue (Venus) and the T-Set (Ma Belle Ami).

• 3 weeks later...

I guess the songs must beg reat... :shades: It´s that I can´t youtube... :stars: I´m waiting for the guys to fix the %$·"/*^PC to do lots of things I had to do this weekend... but they´re watching a DVD now...

HA!!!!!!!! Wait till I have my new laptop!! :grin: