Up-and-coming indie bands for interview

Shawna

Hey all... I know there is a thread somewhere that sort of covers this, but this one has a little twist.

What I'm looking for are the names of bands that are new up-and-coming, that you or your kids listen to, but the grownups haven't quite latched on. Not looking for metal or rap so much as just indie rock. A few bands I've been checking on, for example, are Band of Horses and Rilo Kiley. And of course RCPM is an indie band - we've already interviewed him twice.

Give me some names, and your favorite songs from them. I'll do some research and hopefully get the chance to talk to the songwriter in their group.

My son suggested a group called The Sleeping. Anyone heard of these guys?

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback, all... I've heard of Arcade Fire, and the Dropkick Murphys (although I'm a little afraid I wouldn't understand them if I spoke to them with that wicked accent) :crazy:

I will look into each and every one of these and let you know what happens...

Keep the suggestions coming! It's great to have ideas from you guys :) :) :)

Do you write for a magazine?

Batman, I write for Songfacts! I've been helping Carl interview artists and then writing the songfacts about their songs...

It's wonderful to have suggestions from you guys, because I know there are many artists out there who are the verge of makig it big, but I may not be familiar with them yet - and you can turn me on to them. I can try to interview them before they get so busy being international stars they don't have time anymore... :crazy:

Batman, I write for Songfacts! I've been helping Carl interview artists and then writing the songfacts about their songs...

It's wonderful to have suggestions from you guys, because I know there are many artists out there who are the verge of makig it big, but I may not be familiar with them yet - and you can turn me on to them. I can try to interview them before they get so busy being international stars they don't have time anymore... :crazy:

Oh I didn't know that.

Animal Collective is a pretty big band by now, I'm not sure how willing Avey Tare or Panda Bear would be willing to do an interview with Songfacts (nothing against the website, of course).

If you're looking for more up and coming sort of bands I'd check out Blitzen Trapper. They're still not that famous, but they might be someday, and they've got a sound that I think would appeal to Songfactors.

You mean Bostonian? They're not really from Ireland; they just pretend to be.

Either way... I have a tough time understanding any sort of accent. ;) Charlie Daniels used the word "shades" when telling me about Lisa Marie Presley's sunglasses, and for the life of me I could NOT understand what he was saying. :doh:

I am keeping a running list of all these suggestions - keep it up! And thank you! :)

I'm not sure if you'd count them as a indie rock band, but I'd like to suggest The Click Five. They signed on with a major label, but you hardly hear about them from the mainstream media. Their keyboadist, Ben Romans writes or co-writes most of their songs. They sort of sound like 80's new-wave rock.

Also, the bands that were featured on the "Next Great American Band" T.V. show were all up and coming and interesting enough to write about.

Hey Shawna, I've been digging one of the bands from the aforementioned Next Great American Band called Dot Dot Dot. The ever present MySpace page. Here is a montage of footage to their song Stay. Retro and groovy, baby. I just bought their 7 song CD off of iTunes [smallest](frakkin' rakkin' no good iTunes)[/smallest] and it is presently rocking my socks off.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a quickie update...

I have researched and sent out feelers to Arcade Fire and Dropkick Murphys... no word yet.

The Whigs are next on my list, as I've had some other folks talking to me about them, as well as having them recommended here.

Not much news, I know... but this stuff takes time. :crazy: I will get to every one of them.

And please keep the suggestions coming! There's some great stuff here!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've not heard of "We Are Scientists," but I swear by all that is holy I will be looking them up next week. It is Spring Break for me and I intend to get some things rolling! :goof:

Keep the suggestions coming!

Update: I have handed off the Dropkicks to our fearless leader for more thorough followup. :grin: