Up-and-coming indie bands for interview

Shawna

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

This is a weird thread - most of the bands mentioned already have sufficient status and publicity that they probably don't need the publicity that Songfacts could give them (no offence to the site at all but given that we even have to ask who the bands are probably tells us that this site is serving the wrong constituency for any up and coming indie bands to worry about it).

Having said that I suspect that the very fact that we are even discussing these bands on here is a step in the right direction as the usual comfort zone on these boards is middle of the road FM pop and ancient 'classic' rock. So it's all good. I hope this bears some fruit.

• 1 month later...

most of the bands mentioned already have sufficient status and publicity that they probably don't need the publicity that Songfacts could give them

Perhaps not... but I'm willing to bet that no other interviews they've done have the same sorts of questions we ask! I've heard it time and again from the artists themselves that they love talking about the songs as opposed to the standard one-sheet questions. :grin:

I'm not sure if you'd count them as a indie rock band, but I'd like to suggest The Click Five. They signed on with a major label, but you hardly hear about them from the mainstream media. Their keyboadist, Ben Romans writes or co-writes most of their songs. They sort of sound like 80's new-wave rock.

I'll be talking with Ben Romans within the next week. :cool:

also, update on Okkervil River... their manager wants to wait until they have a new CD release so we can time it appropriately.

• 2 months later...

This is a weird thread - most of the bands mentioned already have sufficient status and publicity that they probably don't need the publicity that Songfacts could give them (no offence to the site at all but given that we even have to ask who the bands are probably tells us that this site is serving the wrong constituency for any up and coming indie bands to worry about it).

Having said that I suspect that the very fact that we are even discussing these bands on here is a step in the right direction as the usual comfort zone on these boards is middle of the road FM pop and ancient 'classic' rock. So it's all good. I hope this bears some fruit.

first of all, you shouldn't forget that interviews with bands also result in a higher status and publicity for the site itself ;)

secondly, I think it's fair to say that the 'comfort zone' as you call it, differs quite a bit between the boards and the mainsite ;)

anyway

here's some ideas for (not that unknown) singer-songwriters just to bump this thread again

Ray LaMontagne

José González

Bat for Lashes

Aqualung

Andrew Bird

Joshua Radin

:)

thanks for the bump! I have not heard of any of those bands, but I will certainly check into them. :)

Nothing to report of late... still pursuing a lot of the bands already mentioned. There are a few that I've done that have taken a year to come through, it's just a matter of their tour schedules, etc...

AMANDA PALMER. Between three albums of Dresden Dolls material and her recent solo album, she has an abundant and impressive array of songs worthy of investigation. Her lyrics and themes are very personal, somewhat idiosyncratic, and characterised by refreshing emotional honesty, but also underpinned (at times) by a wry sense of humour. The range of personal experience and perspectives informing her lyricism would surely make for an interesting interview.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Question: Is HumanLab putting out any new stuff? the only info I could find on them says their last release was in 2005. There's no official site except their MySpace, and from what I could tell, there's nothing recent...?

Regarding Amanda Palmer.... [smallest]she scares me a little Her Web site says "Amandaf***ingpalmer".... [/smallest] I'm a brave sort [smallest] not really [/smallest] so I'll pursue this straight away! [smallest] honest! but I'll be hiding behind the couch when I do it [/smallest]

:grin:

Possible suggestions:

M83

James Yuill

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

Maps

Bon Iver

Empire of the Sun.

Some of these are a bit electro, but they would all be generally classed as indie (exept perhaps Empire of the Sun, although they do have a decent indie following)

my list continues to grow - I love this! Thank you, Beano. You haven't been around long, so I'll tell you that I will check into these bands and let you know what happens... but it does take time. In some cases, over a year. In some cases, it just never happens... *sigh*

• 2 weeks later...