The Ten Greatest Albums Of All Time

Levis

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh and in case it just looked like I was pimpin' songs, I will try and better explain... I was trying to show the solidness of the album thru the fact that nearly every song located on that album... is near perfect...

It's hard to show the perfection of CRCR to anyone who hasn't heard it before

What it has that nothin' else does... magic, spark, creativity, and more rocking than any album since the late 70s.

with my two noms, I would say that OK Computer is the best 'musically' but CRCR is the best 'fun' you will have with any album

• [big]Dr. John's Gumbo[/big]

DJG.jpg

Over a forty year career Dr. John has concocted scads of albums in various styles, and with a huge differences in success and quality.
    But this one is, by any standard, an undeniable Masterpiece. Some of his very best piano work (" radiatin' the 88s ") shines in these just-right arrangements of a dozen funky New Orleans R&B numbers. An amazingly accomplished group of simpatico hometown players click with Dr. John's eccentric vocal styling. You can listen to this album hundreds of times and never get tired of this stuff.
    Iko Iko
    Blow Wind Blow
    Big Chief
    Somebody Changed the Lock
    Mess Around
    Let the Good Times Roll
    Junko Partner
    Stack-a-Lee
    Tipitina
    Those Lonely Lonely Nights
    Huey Smith Medley
    Little Liza Jane

There are live Dr. John clips on YouTube, but none that replicate this work with an amazing backup ensemble. Have to settle for amazon.com samples

[big]------------[/big]

• [big]The Paul Butterfield Blues Band[/big]

PBBB.jpg

My first encounter with the blues was having friends turn me on to this album. I have the CD today.

"Harpist" extraordinaire Butterfield, with fellow young white guys Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop on guitars, hired away Howlin' Wolf's rhythm section to cut these flawlessly gritty and timeless tracks.

Born in Chicago

Shake Your Money Maker

Blues With A Feeling !!!

Thank You Mr. Poohbah

I Got My Mojo Working

Mellow Down Easy

Screamin' !!!

Our Love Is Drifting

Mystery Train

Last Night

Look Over Yonders Wall

Again, there is nothing to match this on YouTube.

Samples at amazon.com

d1061804ym1.jpg

AC/DC--Back in Black

The first sound on Back in Black is the deep, ominous drone of church bells - or "Hell's Bells," as it were, opening the album and AC/DC's next era with a fanfare while ringing a fond farewell to Bon Scott, their late lead singer who partied himself straight to hell. But this implies that Back in Black is some kind of tribute to Scott, which may be true on a superficial level - black is a funeral cover, hell's bells certainly signify death - but this isn't filled with mournful songs about the departed. It's a more fitting tribute, actually, since AC/DC not only carried on without him, but they delivered a record that to the casual ear sounds like the seamless successor to Highway to Hell, right down to how Brian Johnson's screech is a dead ringer for Scott's growl. Most listeners could be forgiven for thinking that Johnson was Scott, but Johnson is different than Bon. He's driven by the same obsessions - sex and drink and rock & roll, basically - but there isn't nearly as much malevolence in his words or attitude as there was with Scott. Bon sounded like a criminal, Brian sounds like a rowdy scamp throughout Back in Black, which helps give it a real party atmosphere. Of course, Johnson shouldn't be given all the credit for Back in Black, since Angus and Malcolm carry on with the song-oriented riffing that made Highway to Hell close to divine. Song for song, they deliver not just mammoth riffs but songs that are anthems, from the greasy "Shoot to Thrill" to the pummeling "Back in Black," which pales only next to "You Shook Me All Night Long," the greatest one-night-stand anthem in rock history. That tawdry celebration of sex is what made AC/DC different from all other metal bands - there was no sword & sorcery, no darkness, just a rowdy party, and they never held a bigger, better party than they did on Back in Black.

You Shook Me All Night Long

Back in Black

49265f797a079b9c291cfaefu8.jpg

Blood Sugar Sex Magik ~ Red Hot Chili Peppers

1. "The Power of Equality" - 4:03

2. "If You Have to Ask" - 3:37

3. "Breaking the Girl" - 4:55

4. "Funky Monks" - 5:23

5. "Suck My Kiss" - 3:37

6. "I Could Have Lied" - 4:04

7. "Mellowship Slinky in B Major" - 4:00

8. "The Righteous & the Wicked" - 4:08

9. "Give It Away" - 4:43

10. "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" - 4:31

11. "Under the Bridge" - 4:24

12. "Naked in the Rain" - 4:26

13. "Apache Rose Peacock" - 4:42

14. "The Greeting Song" - 3:14

15. "My Lovely Man" - 4:39

16. "Sir Psycho Sexy" - 8:17

17. "They're Red Hot" (Robert Johnson) - 1:11

I know some people start listening to a CD with tracks they already know like the hit 'Under The Bridge'. Here you better leave it, feel 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' like you feel a movie:

'Power of Equality' is a good opener with an excellent guitar solo. 'If You Have To Ask' is a party song with a party chorus and groovy background guitar. Now enough of the warm up, it's time to start the main show.

'Breaking The Girl' is a beatiful lovesong, it has a dramatic flute and Anthony's vocals are very impressive, not to mention the famous Frusciante Guitar in the beginning. 'Funky Monks' is a song about the Peppers themselves but also about every man out there. 'Suck My Kiss' is one of my personal favorites, it's even better than the hit 'Give It Away'. 'The Righteous And The Wicked' contains the best choir vocals and the funkiest guitar part. The songs 'My Lovely Man', 'Greeting Song' and 'Apache Rose Peacock' are outstanding because dominated by the genius of Flea who plays the most melodic bass I've ever heard.

My favorite song is 'Sir Psycho Sexy', it's a movie itself, the last 2 instrumental minutes remind you that even the best adventures gonna end. Afterwards you can't imagine a life without 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik'. This album changed your universe, too.

I have nothing to add to that :)

well, maybe: listen to it :rockon: (maybe I'll add more links later :) )

supertramp06.jpg

Supertramp

Bob C Benberg - Drums, Percussion

Richard Davies - Vocals, Keyboards

John Helliwell - Saxophone, Clarinet, Vocals

Roger Hodgson - Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards

Richard "Slyde" Hyde - Trombone

Dougie Thompson - Bass

Producer: Peter Henderson,Supertramp

1.Gone Hollywood

2. The Logical Song

3.Goodbye Stranger

4. Breakfast In America

5.Oh Darling

6. Take The Long Way Home

7.Lord Is It Mine

8.Just Another Nervous Wreck

9.Casual Conversations

10.Child Of Vision

BOB SEGER and the Silver Bullet Band - 'LIVE' BULLET

BobSegerLiveBullet.jpg

This album was recorded live, in front of a home town audience in Detroit Michigan. There were 80,000 people in attendance, and Seger played on a bill that included Point Blank, Elvin Bishop, and Todd Rundgren. Released in April of 1976, I was at the concert in support of the album in the fall of '76. The concert is tied with the Stones for the best I've ever seen. I'll never forget it. Seger is to Mid America what the Eagles are to California, and Lynyrd Skynyrd is to the South. He belonged to us, the music of the working man. This is definately one of the best all-time "live albums" ever released, by anyone.

1. Nutbush City Limits

2. Travelin' Man/Beautiful Loser Numbers 2 and 3 of the track list, but the songs are commonly played together.

4. Jody Girl

5. I've Been Working

6.Turn the Page

7. U.M.C. (Upper Middle Class)

8. Bo Diddley

9. Ramblin' Gamblin' Man ( 2 minutes of the 3 minute song)

10. Heavy Music

11. Katmandu (from a 1980 concert)

12. Lookin' Back

13. Get Out of Denver

14. Let it Rock (again from a 1980 concert)

eltonjohn.jpg

1. Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding

11:08

2. Candle In The Wind

3:49

3. Bennie And The Jets

5:23

4. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

3:13

5. This Song Has No Title

2:23

6. Grey Seal

4:00

7. Jamaica Jerk-Off

3:38

8. I've Seen That Movie Too

5:58

9. Sweet Painted Lady

3:54

10. The Ballad Of Danny Bailey (1909-1934)

4:23

11. Dirty Little Girl

5:01

12. All The Girls Love Alice

5:08

13. Your Sister Can't Twist (But She Can Rock'n Roll)

2:42

14. Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting

4:53

15. Roy Rogers

4:08

16. Social Disease

3:43

17. Harmony

2:45

IMO, this is the greatest double album ever recorded. It spawned the hits Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting, Benny & The Jets and the title track. Candle In The Wind is a brilliant tribute to Marilyn Monroe and ironically, it didn't become a hit until Elton tweaked the lyric and used it as a tribute to Lady Diana after her death. Even the less well known songs like Harmony, All The Young Girls Love Alice and Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding are excellent. There really aren't any filler songs here.

b00065mdrw01lzzzzzzzxy4.jpg

In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson)

1. "21st Century Schizoid Man" (Fripp, McDonald, Lake, Giles, Sinfield) - 7:21

2. "I Talk to the Wind" (McDonald, Sinfield) - 6:05

3. "Epitaph" (Fripp, McDonald, Lake, Giles, Sinfield) - 8:47

4. "Moonchild" (Fripp, McDonald, Lake, Giles, Sinfield) - 12:13

5. "The Court of the Crimson King" (McDonald, Sinfield) - 9:25

From Wikipedia:

In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson) is the 1969 debut album by the British progressive rock group King Crimson. The album reached No.3 on the British charts. It continues to be a classic and has been a tremendous influence on other artists. The album is certified gold in the United States.

The album generally considered by many the launching point of progressive rock where blues-oriented rock is completely abandoned in favour of more jazz and European symphonic elements incorporated. The Who's Pete Townshend was quoted as calling the album "an uncanny masterpiece".

The album was remastered and re-released on vinyl and CD several times during the 1980s and 1990s. The original master tapes were finally located in a Virgin Records storage vault in 2003, leading to a much improved remastered version released in 2004.

TheAllmanBrothersBand.jpg

The Allman Brothers At Fillmore East

1. Statesboro Blues 4:20

2. Done Somebody Wrong 4:35

3. Stormy Monday 8:48

4. You Don't Love Me / Soul Serenade 19:19

5. Hot 'Lanta 5:21

6. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed 13:06

7. Whipping Post 23:03

Few groups could boast of having an axeman as accomplished as Duane Allman. Fewer still could claim to have two guitarists of the calibre of Allman and Dickey Betts. On this, one of the two or three greatest "Live" albums of all time, Allman and Betts push each other to incredible heights.

The musicianship on this album is stellar, as are Greg Allman's vocals and the recording quality. Every song is great, although I must say that Whipping Post and Statesboro Blues are my favourites.

Duane Allman died shortly after this album was released, more's the pity. At least he left this fantastic album as part of his brilliant legacy.

8166.jpg

Crosby, Stills & Nash

Track Listings

1. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes

2. Marrakesh Express

3. Guinnevere

4. You Don't Have To Cry

5. Pre-Road Downs

6. Wooden Ships

7. Lady of the Island

8. Helplessly Hoping

9. Long Time Gone

10. 49 Bye-Byes

Crosby, Stills & Nash is the first album released by Crosby, Stills & Nash in 1969 on the Atlantic Records label. It spawned two Top 40 hits, "Marrakesh Express" and "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes," which peaked respectively at #28 the week of August 23, 1969, and at #21 the week of October 25, 1969, on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. The album itself peaked at #6 on the Billboard Top Pop Albums chart.

I am still having computer problems. So, I can't do too much, But I nominate these two albums

The Band

"Across the Great Divide" (Robertson) - 2:53

"Rag Mama Rag" (Robertson) - 3:04

"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" (Robertson) - 3:33

"When You Awake" (Manuel/Robertson) - 3:13

"Up on Cripple Creek" (Robertson) - 4:34

"Whispering Pines" (Manuel/Robertson) - 3:58

"Jemima Surrender" (Helm/Robertson) - 3:31

"Rockin' Chair" (Robertson) - 3:43

"Look Out Cleveland" (Robertson) - 3:09

"Jawbone" (Manuel/Robertson) - 4:20

"The Unfaithful Servant" (Robertson) - 4:17

"King Harvest (Has Surely Come)" (Robertson) - 3:39

Innervisions - Stevie Wonder

Side One

"Too High" - 4:37

"Visions" - 5:17

"Living for the City" - 7:26

"Golden Lady" - 5:00

Side Two

"Higher Ground" - 3:54

"Jesus Children of America" - 4:04

"All in Love Is Fair" - 3:45

"Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing" - 4:55

"He's Misstra Know It All" - 6:06

Any help with audio would be appreciated. The main reason I like these albums is they are very original and timeless.

Blonde On Blonde - Bob Dylan

All the songs are here!

1 Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

2 Pledging my time

3 Visions of Johanna

4 One of us Must Know (Sooner or Later)

5 I Want You

6 Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again

7 Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat

8 Just Like A Woman

9 Most Likely You Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine

10 Temporary Like Achilles

11 Absolutely Sweet Marie

12 4th time around

13 Obviously 5 Believers

14 Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands

I loved Highway 61 Revisited and didn't think Dylan could make a better album. But he did with Blonde On Blonde. From allmusic.com: Blonde on Blonde is an album of enormous depth, providing endless lyrical and musical revelations on each play. Leavening the edginess of Highway 61 with a sense of the absurd, Blonde on Blonde is comprised entirely of songs driven by inventive, surreal, and witty wordplay, not only on the rockers but also on winding, moving ballads like "Visions of Johanna," "Just Like a Woman," and "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands." Throughout the record, the music matches the inventiveness of the songs, filled with cutting guitar riffs, liquid organ riffs, crisp pianos, and even woozy brass bands ("Rainy Day Women #12 & 35"). It's the culmination of Dylan's electric rock & roll period - he would never release a studio record that rocked this hard, or had such bizarre imagery, ever again.